Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The app-activated 7 kW chargers retract below the surface of the sidewalk when not in use, keeping that precious sidewalk space obstruction free.
The startup claims 43% of UK households don’t have driveways or garages to park their cars in, pushing that parking out onto the street. These Urban Electric hubs are intended to facilitate overnight charging for those thousands of street parked cars.

·
Registered
638 Posts
So they made it more expensive and prone to failure? Was "sidewalk obstruction" the main impediment to installing curbside EVSEs? This feels like a solution in search of a problem to me.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
So they made it more expensive and prone to failure? Was "sidewalk obstruction" the main impediment to installing curbside EVSEs? This feels like a solution in search of a problem to me.
I've always thought that the obvious and cheap solution is to install a couple of 240V outlets on every street lamp utility pole. Someone could probably come up with a pretty cheap and compact box that contains the 240V outlet and a relay to turn it on when activated by a payment app.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've always thought that the obvious and cheap solution is to install a couple of 240V outlets on every street lamp utility pole. Someone could probably come up with a pretty cheap and compact box that contains the 240V outlet and a relay to turn it on when activated by a payment app.
The big cost issue would be getting enough power to the posts. The wiring and source would have to be upgraded. Pulling new wiring would not be cheap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We’ve gotten away from unsightly overhead electrical wiring, putting it underground. Traffic lights are more elegant now with overhead steel “arms” instead of the ugly strung wires. Keeping the clutter down at ground level is just as important for aesthetics - seems like there’s some kind of sign post every 10’ ... so I think this is really cool.

But, unfortunately, I don’t think it’ll stand up to the elements over time ... but I do appreciate the effort!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
There several European companies that offered something like this, but it wasn't 240V plugs, it was EVSEs.

And I have a faint recollection that some area(s) in Los Angeles have already started installing a product like this already.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The big cost issue would be getting enough power to the posts. The wiring and source would have to be upgraded. Pulling new wiring would not be cheap.
Sean Nelson said:
No more expensive than any other curbside option.
Well, if you replaced the original high-wattage sodium bulbs (or halide) with LEDs (or it had already been done) one wouldn't necessarily have to replace all the wiring. I don't know how streetlights are wired ; are they a long string of lights like the 120V wall circuits in most houses? If so, the street wiring was designed to handle loads in the 10s of kW (those old sodium bulbs pull a lot of power). And the technology to load-share between EVSEs exists already : CalTech has a rather elegant solution to the problem.

Of course, lights installed in the past decade might have to have the wiring upgraded.

·
Registered
187 Posts
EVSE LLC of Enfield, Connecticut has long supplied a light-pole charging solution that is very clever. No digging or repaving, and the solution is almost vandal proof. (The mechanism on the inside looks like a fishing spinning reel)

You can use existing street poles with additional circuits if the intent is to make street charging available. "Solved Urban EV Charging" seems a bit exaggerated...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts