Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have noticed that my Bolt has pretty bad radio reception (In my East Side suburb of Seattle I should be able to get many many more stations than I currently do). My only points of reference are my old Volt and our current Outback. The Outback gets far more channels reliably and in quality (but does have HD radio so I am not sure how that might affect the actual number of channels that are usable) but I do know my Volt and old ford fusion hybrid could use significantly more channels in this area too.

Have any of you noticed the same thing?

·
Registered
196 Posts
:DI remember when AM-FM radio was a option over AM only. FM provided better longer reception and less commercials.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
My 2014 Volt had superior AM and FM sensitivity compared to the Bolt.

AM in the Bolt is so poor I now stream my NY AM stations (880AM & 660AM) via phone/Android Auto to the Bolt via the radio.com app.

Reactions: ai4px

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am the retired Executive Director of a local and relatively low powered NPR station, so my FM reception is a serious issue for me. My Bolt LT has perfectly acceptable FM reception sensitivity, no real problems with it, very nearly as good as with the premium audio system in my Ford C-Max Energi. I can't speak for the AM sensitivity, since I never use it.

The HD reception in your Outback is not a good comparative reference if you are genuinely listening to a station in HD mode. Generally a given station has a smaller listenable range for its HD transmission than its FM transmission, since the digital HD reception is either there with excellent clarity, or drops off a cliff to not be there at all a few miles further away from the transmitter, whereas the FM signal-to-noise ratio just gradually gets worse with increasing distance until the signal gets buried in the noise and is not listenable, with that occurring well past the range where the HD signal was no longer listenable. However, almost all HD radios automatically revert to analog FM reception when the HD signal disappears, so you probably are hearing the FM version of a weak station even if it is broadcasting in HD.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Me Too

I wouldn't have noticed, but a station that my girlfriend listens to in my Acura and her Infinity isn't even present in my Bolt. Other stations come in ok. Not great, but ok. But this particular station is just static. This made me pay more attention to the other stations. Some of them that are very clear in the other cars, sound more like we're just about out of their range.

So I would say that the radio reception isn't particularly good.

This isn't a huge deal for me because quite frankly I rarely listen to the radio anyway. But it does seem odd that something that's not exactly cutting edge tech isn't better than this, especially since this is the Premier trim with all the upgrade options with a top end sound system...

·
Registered
580 Posts
I wouldn't have noticed, but a station that my girlfriend listens to in my Acura and her Infinity isn't even present in my Bolt. Other stations come in ok. Not great, but ok. But this particular station is just static. This made me pay more attention to the other stations. Some of them that are very clear in the other cars, sound more like we're just about out of their range.

So I would say that the radio reception isn't particularly good.

This isn't a huge deal for me because quite frankly I rarely listen to the radio anyway. But it does seem odd that something that's not exactly cutting edge tech isn't better than this, especially since this is the Premier trim with all the upgrade options with a top end sound system...
While I haven't noticed the FM stage being particularly bad (my normal run of NPR stations come in about as well as they used to), the AM reception seemed really poor when I tried it out. How ever will I get the Infowars truth that I desperately need?

·
Registered
56 Posts
i noticed some fm stations do have poor reception

i have noticed when washing the car, the antenna fin on the roof does seem loose and can be wiggled side to side and let water under it. not sure if this is an issue, never had an antenna fin before

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The Bolt has better reception than my Ford Explorer, but that is not saying much. My last car, Ford Fusion Hybrid, had better reception than the Bolt. The Bolt is decent, but definitely lacking behind some cars.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My FM radio reception is also bad, I tend to get static all the time. My currently using the free XM Radio.
Im in SoCAL, anyone else in the area experiencing this issue?
I feel like emailing my dealership about it, but not sure if they would do anything to help fix it. Almost 3 weeks with my Bolt EV.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I only listen to my local NPR station at FM 94.9 and local news for traffic at AM 1000 KOMO. Up and down the I-5 corridor I've had no issues but there is static occasionally.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
I use the radio a fair bit and it seems OK, but not great. I'm happy enough with it. I think it will always be worse than a car with an old fashion outside radio antenna.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have noticed pretty terrible AM reception in my bolt and I wonder if the car itself is causing the distortion. FM is not as good as my other cars

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wonder if they may have used different radios in some cars. I live in a fringe (radio) area of Metro DC. The Bolt has the best reception of any radio I've tried, in car or in home. My favorite local station is usually unlistenable where I live but generally is fine in the Bolt. I have the Bose sound system BTW.

Agree HD would be nice. I'm wondering if the just-passed changes to copyright law which seems to directly effect streaming services might not bring broadcast radio back from zombie hood, or just kill it altogether.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Part of the problem is that HD is a licensed technology, so it probably adds $1 (just guessing) to each receiver. It's not much, but the bean counters have to make tons of cuts to bring the price in line with targets. What percent of the population is even aware there is free digital broadcast radio? There never was much advertising.

Is the antenna in the glass somewhere? I think most cars run them in the glass these days. If someone were determined, they could disconnect the existing antenna and install their own to get better reception.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had awful reception on FM when I first got my Bolt. I took it to the dealer, and the tech discovered that the antenna had not been connected, or at least not properly connected. They fixed it, and now the reception is great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi. Im up in woodinville, a few miles west of Duvall on the hill. I've had my Bolt since April, and have never noticed this problem. Just thought you might want to know.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts