Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going on 3 weeks now. Love it more every day. Some updates:

1. Figured out the issue I was having with my Juicebox 40. We're in a rental house so not going to install the required circuit and plug in the garage. The laundry room is just inside the garage door,
and there is an outlet for an electric dryer. I made up an adapter cable to go from the dryer outlet to the Juicebox plug. The first two nights I tried to charge, went out in the morning to a
"charge interrupted" message, with almost no gain in estimated range. Turns out I wasn't getting the adapted plug all the way into the dryer outlet in the laundry room (difficult to see), so the
charging was quickly interrupted. Since that discovery, have fully engaged the plug and charged it four times without an issue from the 30 amp circuit breaker. I'm now going out in the morning
and greeted with about 252 miles of estimated range.
2. Looking at houses to purchase and there is one that has a 400 amp electrical service with 200 amps into the garage. The house also has plentiful solar panels (all purchased and paid-for). The only
downside is that there are two routes to get to the house (up in the Catalinas). Both on not county-maintained dirt roads. One is fairly level, but two miles and twisty, and the other is a straight
but crosses two washes that are prone to flash floods when it rains. We've driven the twisty once in the Bolt, and it seems to make it with no trouble. Two questions
A. Is the suspension tough enough to endure bumps taken slowly but daily?
B. Is there any issue with regularly driving over dirt roads vis-a-vis the underside of the car being coated in dirt? Overheating the battery?
3. Getting used to the rear-view mirror/camera. Love the overhead view in reverse.

Ron

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I doubt the battery will overheat from a thin layer of dirt and the batteries have their own temperature management system. Not sure how the suspension will fare over the average gravel road for years. Should be fine unless you're riding over potholes all the time.

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
The battery will be fine with dirt on it. It's thermal management is internally liquid cooled, not so much air cooled on the bottom. The Bolt's suspension is very conventional and straight forward. It should last just as long as any other GM car in this size class. Having said that, it is very much a car and not a truck or SUV. If you would be comfortable driving a Honda Civic, or Chevy Cruze up there, then the Bolt will be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts