Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here is the timelapse video of my Bolt EV recently making a 300+km trip without recharging or a full battery, then spending some time on a typical 50kW charger. Korea is a relatively small country, so the car can cover almost all destinations on a full charge. That there are more than six thousand public chargers, about 40% of which is the quick charging variety (50+kW) helps a lot, too.

For the comments and analysis of the trip, including the observed charging curve, you can take a peek at my related blog post.

http://tool-box.info/blog/archives/2558-On-the-road-with-Bolt-EV,-part-1.html

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Ulsan is the seat of the Hyundai Empire … I assume local people curious about cars - did you have some good "street conversations" with the locals about the Bolt?
Not much yet on the streets, but I had a lot of talk with my dad. As a matter of fact he worked at Hyundai Motor for more than two decades. I was born right next to the Ulsan factory and consequently I had only driven Hyundai cars all my life before Bolt. He was quite cool about his son “defecting” to a competing manufacturer’s car, though.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Lovely trip! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Much appreciation for the camera angle getting the CarPlay Maps in view and your dash, especially for us LT owners with none of the extra features. The infographics were much appreciated, especially during the charging session.

One minor nit pick cause I really like the quiet ride of the Bolt, perhaps next time consider not having a sound track and just record the audio in your car? It'll be difficult, though, to keep quiet the entire way. I find myself needlessly cursing at other drivers or making other bodily noises in my dash cam recordings. I personally would be amazed at the night time driving in absolute quiet.

I was turned onto this from the Winding Road Magazine Youtube channel where they have nearly all POV videos recorded with binaural mics and do not make any sound: https://www.youtube.com/user/windingroadmagazine

Their Volt and Bolt videos were what sold me on the EV life style.

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
Thanks for sharing Wesley!! I feel like I just took a tour of South Korea! Is the speed limit there 100 km and everybody just goes 106 km? If so, you would feel right at home driving in Canada! I toured around there last year and their speed limit was 100 km too. Slower than what I'm used to, but actually... kind of nice and relaxing. I think I might like driving on tour in South Korea! ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lovely trip! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Much appreciation for the camera angle getting the CarPlay Maps in view and your dash, especially for us LT owners with none of the extra features. The infographics were much appreciated, especially during the charging session.

One minor nit pick cause I really like the quiet ride of the Bolt, perhaps next time consider not having a sound track and just record the audio in your car? It'll be difficult, though, to keep quiet the entire way. I find myself needlessly cursing at other drivers or making other bodily noises in my dash cam recordings. I personally would be amazed at the night time driving in absolute quiet.

I was turned onto this from the Winding Road Magazine Youtube channel where they have nearly all POV videos recorded with binaural mics and do not make any sound: https://www.youtube.com/user/windingroadmagazine

Their Volt and Bolt videos were what sold me on the EV life style.
Thanks for the compliments!

The timelapse app used for recording the video does not record audio, so I had to add soundtracks out of necessity. It felt too quiet otherwise. I would’ve liked to have actual sound of the trip, too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for sharing Wesley!! I feel like I just took a tour of South Korea! Is the speed limit there 100 km and everybody just goes 106 km? If so, you would feel right at home driving in Canada! I toured around there last year and their speed limit was 100 km too. Slower than what I'm used to, but actually... kind of nice and relaxing. I think I might like driving on tour in South Korea! /forum/images/ChevyBolt/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
Good question! Expressways generally have the 100km/h limit, but some are 110km/h, mostly in the North-South corridors. Motorways are 90km/h.

Speaking of which, I actually lived in Canada for a few years when I was young. So indeed, it feels right at home.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the video for the return trip. This one was a bit risky in the sense that I started out with only 76% charge. I ended up with the low battery warning and reduced propulsion near the end of the trip. When I parked the car on the charging station there was only 4% charge left. It's not a scenario I won't be trying with my whole family again.

Like the previous video, a blog post with the analysis can be found here.
http://tool-box.info/blog/archives/2568-On-the-road-with-Bolt-EV,-part-2.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts