Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having the tint installed on my Bolt EV as I post this. Going with 25% on the rear and side windows, with 80% on the windshield, and a 5% strip at the top of the windshield. All of it ceramic with UV blocking and solar heating reduction.

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
315 Posts
Don't you mean 80 on the side and rear glass and 25 on the front?

They don't allow tint on windshield glass in Pa where I live, but I would like to do the rear doors and the hatch on mine.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think tint is measured by the transmission rate, so a lower number indicates more tint.

Side note: MD's tint is "as measured". So if the factory gives you an 80% tint and you're allowed 35%, you need to be good at math because you can't just plop 35% on the windows...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got a 25% tint, all around except the front. anything below 27% is illegal in CO, but everyone has it.

I wanted the front strip done, but my guy phones me up and sez it comes with factory tint strip, which is more optimal and looks far better.

·
Registered
624 Posts
windshield tint is also illegal in CA, but if you have 80% on there you're only going to get a ticket if you really piss off a cop. when i had mine done, they offered to do it for i think $300 (just for the windshield!) but i declined. EVs generally get a pass, but i did 70% ceramic on the front windows and 35% on the rears. wish i had done 35% all around, oh well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Borkbork, do you mind sharing what you paid, and where you had it done? Now that it’s warming up in the East Bay, I’m once again thinking about tinting mine.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Borkbork, do you mind sharing what you paid, and where you had it done? Now that it’s warming up in the East Bay, I’m once again thinking about tinting mine.
sure - $450. crystalline ceramic in the front, color stable in the back. lifetime warranty. there was a bubble in one of the windows, they replaced it super quickly, and i've had no issues since. i had my previous car done there too, and never had any issue with it.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/quality-auto-glass-and-tint-santa-clara?osq=Window+Tinting

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would like to get the rear side glass and the tail gate done in a black glass that has the look of factory dark tint.

I came stock on a Buick Enore I traded in on the Bolt, it just made the car look better and you could not see inside unless you pushed your face up against the glass.

Occasionally I have to make a few stops on the way home I don't want people seeing whats in my car when I am away from it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
windshield tint is also illegal in CA, but if you have 80% on there you're only going to get a ticket if you really piss off a cop. when i had mine done, they offered to do it for i think $300 (just for the windshield!) but i declined. EVs generally get a pass, but i did 70% ceramic on the front windows and 35% on the rears. wish i had done 35% all around, oh well.
I thought CA law would have been updated to make more sense by 2018.. but yep it still doesn't make sense. 88% seriously? Why 70% for combined with factory glass tint ONLY..

https://www.tinting-laws.com/california/

I just did 70ish ceramic on one of my cars and it does reject a good amount of heat. I did not do the windshield, and wish I did.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
30% transmission
All windows but nothing on windshiel

Tint guy recommends doing front when getting windshield replaced as water can got do dash and he doesn’t know if there are any sensitive electronics there (he won’t do any Chrysler windshield)....

I hope not to have my front windshield replaced any time soon...looks expensive

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got my rears tinted a couple of weeks ago with ceramic, and was amazed at how much heat they block! I'm also in CA, so I decided not to tint the fronts, but now I regret it. I think I'm going to go with a light tint on the front windows, and risk it. Sounds like it's NBD.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.