Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RE: Tire Pressure to Improve Road Trip Range.

I'll be driving North on I-5 from Grants Pass, Oregon up to Freeland, Washington this Friday. The distance is about 460 miles. Chevy recommends 38 PSI for normal around-town driving.

Question: What tire pressure will contribute to a lower rolling resistance and maximum range?

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
There is no limit on that. Rolling resistance goes down in a linear fashion, with increasing tire pressure. I set my cold tire pressure to not exceed the maximum rated pressure once warmed up. The automaker's recommended pressure is usually a compromise between comfort, grip, and rolling resistance. Typically, they recommend a lower pressure for softer ride. The best grip is higher than that, and the lowest rolling resistance is higher still, but reducing grip.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Exactly what George said.

The biggest factor on the freeway will be aerodynamic drag. Going slower is the #1 thing you can do to extend range.

In other threads, we have calculated that from a time spent driving perspective, it's best to travel up to 75 MPH and just accept more frequent DCFC stops. As long as you can comfortably make it to the charger, then you might as well travel as fast as you are comfortable, up to 75.

There is no danger of over-inflating a tire except that it can negatively affect handling. As stated above, it mostly comes down to ride comfort. There are also diminishing returns from continuing to inflate a tire. In other words, the rolling resistance is reduced much more going from 30 PSI to 40 PSI, than going from 40 PSI to 50 PSI.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is no danger of over-inflating a tire except that it can negatively affect handling. As stated above, it mostly comes down to ride comfort. There are also diminishing returns from continuing to inflate a tire. In other words, the rolling resistance is reduced much more going from 30 PSI to 40 PSI, than going from 40 PSI to 50 PSI.
Tires may overheat and have a blowout if they're way overinflated.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Tires may overheat and have a blowout if they're way overinflated.
Please define "way overinflated." Can you quote an independent source stating overinflation causes overheating?

BTW, don't go beyond the max recommended pressure on the sidewall.

jack vines

1 - 7 of 7 Posts