Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was driving by road construction the other day and got a bolt stuck in my right rear tire (can't ignore the irony). Fortunately, the tire maintained pressure, but getting the thing fixed/replaced has been an odyssey.

Goodyear wouldn't work on it because they don't make that kind of tire (self-sealing) and possible liability. Since it's a Michelin tire I went to a Michelin dealer (Tire Kingdom). They said they could order any Michelin tire except mine (Energy Saver) and that it couldn't be repaired and would would have to be replaced.

Finally, I called the Chevy dealer and they didn't have them in stock and needed to "make some calls" to figure out how to get one.

Going on 4 days now with a 1/4 inch bolt stuck in the tire and it hasn't lost any pressure. Has anyone experienced this with repairing a damaged tire on a Bolt?

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Goodyear wouldn't work on it because they don't make that kind of tire (self-sealing) and possible liability. [Tire Kingdom] said they could order any Michelin tire except mine (Energy Saver) and that it couldn't be repaired and would would have to be replaced.

...the Chevy dealer ... didn't have them in stock and needed to "make some calls" to figure out how to get one.
Yep, those self-sealing tires sure make life convenient! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds like another reason I'm glad I'm hauling a conventional donut spare and jack around with me.

Let us know if Chevy comes through for you on this.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
FWIW, I was in the tire business at a few times over the years. Even before the "self-sealing" Michelin, it was not unusual to have a tire come in with a bolt/screw/nail/road-trash worn down below the tread and the tire still holding air and performing normally. Pull that sucker out and who knows what will happen? As service manager, I always asked the customer, "Are you feeling lucky today?" I've seen the hole patched with a simple plug and they go away happy. Removal can also pull out a hunk of tread belt and junk the tire. Today, if the foreign object is toward the sidewall, most tire shops won't touch it.

jack vines

·
Registered
1 Posts
Michelin Self Seal tires are repairable. They should be treated similar to a standard tire. Attached is a service bulletin that outlines the repair procedure. 1/4" is the max allowable size puncture to repair in any tire, so depending on the actual puncture size and location in the tire, it may need to be replaced. Your tire serviceman will need to make that call.

The Energy Saver A/S Self Seal tire should be available to any Michelin tire dealer, and certainly at any Chevrolet dealer. The Michelin part number is 33539 if they need to order it. It should not take more than 1 day to receive the tire.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Is the hole too big for a plug? I always repair punctures myself if they are small enough to be plugged. It's a 5 minute process and about 25 cents in materials, which is way more convenient than going somewhere and waiting for a repair while hearing a sales pitch for something I don't need.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Goodyear store actually pulled the bolt and freaked out when they saw the goop oozing out. The tire went flat (I got an OnStar alert 7 hours later, LOL). They refused to patch it so put the bolt back in and re-inflated the tire. It has held pressure since then.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I watched a video on these tires (like sleeping in a Holiday Inn Express.. makes me an expert right?). The self sealing component is just a series of packets with brown goo in them. They are adhesed to the inside tread wall of the tire. When you get a nail or a screw in the tread, it penetrates the packet and the goo oozes out and forms a patch. In theory...

So, if Goodyear had taken a minute to pull the flat tire off the rim, they would have seen this. They could pull back the self seal packet and put a patch on it. Or they could push a plug through the hole. I am told that the goo forms a permanent seal and is sufficient to hold air permanently if you remove the screw or nail.

I've also noticed several people who have swapped out their stock tires for something different (usually want more sticky performance tires). When they do this, they often sell the gently used stock tires for about $100/each. Maybe you should dig around for one of those posts and buy a 'new' tire from them.

Good luck. I'm not sold on the self seal tires.. I'll probably go to the non-self sealing version of same tires next time so I can patch or plug as needed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aside from proximity, the reason I went to Goodyear first was the big banner that said "We Fix Flats for Free." Maybe when they realized I wouldn't be back for oil changes they figured it wasn't worth their time :).

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Wait, they put the bolt BACK in?! Lucky it didn't make things worse.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Michelin Self Seal tires are repairable. They should be treated similar to a standard tire. Attached is a service bulletin that outlines the repair procedure. 1/4" is the max allowable size puncture to repair in any tire, so depending on the actual puncture size and location in the tire, it may need to be replaced. Your tire serviceman will need to make that call.

The Energy Saver A/S Self Seal tire should be available to any Michelin tire dealer, and certainly at any Chevrolet dealer. The Michelin part number is 33539 if they need to order it. It should not take more than 1 day to receive the tire.
This username is valid. :D

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
How do you (anyone) "save"? Can you copy and paste to a "Bolt" folder in the computer? Do you "save" it somewhere here on the Forum? (Some of us are "techno-challenged".)
I have a folder on my hard drive for Bolt-related stuff, so after clicking on each thumbnail in his post to display it full sized I right-clicked the image, selected "Save Image as...", and chose to save it in that folder.

Another alternative is to just bookmark the page so it's easy to recall in your browser. But long experience has led me to not trust that anything on the Internet is going to be there tomorrow. For example, Photobucket suddenly prevented all users' images from being displayed embedded in other web pages unless they pay a monthly fee. So for stuff I find useful I generally prefer to make my own local copy of it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If you're using Google Chrome (dunno about Firefox or Edge or Safari or Opera), you can print to local PDF as well. This way you get a full page of the thread at once with pictures. You may still need to click each image to save it as Sean Nelson suggests, but this way you get text too!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick update: Chevy dealer was able to patch the tire for $20.00 and a two-hour wait (despite having an appointment). They still haven't been able to find the tire through their supply chains.

I'm in Orlando, FL and the Bolt has only been available here since late July. Mine was the fourth the dealer had sold. I have yet to see another Bolt in the wild although I know from this forum that there are at least few of us out there. I suspect it will be some time before the support ecosystem has matured.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts