Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered the full Winter Tire Package, TPMS, Steel Valve Stems, Mounted and Balanced. Super good looking package. Swaped them out and tried to use the new upgraded TPMS trigger tool that came with them. It did not work.

Contacted customer service and was sent an email with a host of instructions for trouble shooting and installing updated software on the trigger tool. Still did not work.

Contacted customer service was told to take it to a dealer to have them do it. Still did not work.

Contacted customer service was told to take it back to the dealer to have the sensors analyzed. I did they were good and still not recognized by the Bolt.

Contacted customer service was told to return the sensors for refund.

I complained who is paying to have the wrong sensors removed, new sensors installed, re-balanced etc..

It made me so mad that I returned the complete order to the local Denver distribution center for a full refund.

The correct response should have been: Please let us set up an appointment at one of our local installers to have them take care of this issue for you.

I must have spent at least 6 hours of my time chasing down all their requirements to only have them tell me to return the sensors for refund.

Under no circumstances would I ever buy from them again.

Reactions: quirkySquirt

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Many aftermarket sensors do not work. (And not just in the Bolt!) My stepdaughter bought a used Honda Insight with new tires in which someone had installed aftermarket TPMS. Four years later, when one (tire) had to be replaced, the sensor could NOT be transferred to the new tire. The Honda Dealer sensor worked as expected. It just cost us a few more dollars. I doubt TireRack used Bolt (or even GM sensors). 'Nuff said. You did the right thing to refuse to be treated that way. Give your hard-earned money to a provider who provides service along with the wares they sell.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You were indeed right to squawk about the bad service.
I shop service, not price, and have been using the same independent tire shop since I bought my
1st set of tires in 1977. Great folks, and if it costs me a couple of bucks more than Tire Rack,
I don't give a hoot because of their history of having a good attitude and getting me what I need.

·
Registered
134 Posts
FWIW, I've been doing business with Tire Rack for years, and never had the slightest problem with them!

Reactions: One1whaoo.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
FWIW, I've been doing business with Tire Rack for years, and never had the slightest problem with them!
I like their prices too but never had to deal with TPMS. OP's account is valuable to me and will change how I purchase tires.

I also liked going with local Discount Tire because when I had to repair punctures, they didn't charge me a cent and saw me right away. I wasn't even a customer the first time I went in (asked how much to repair and they declined).

So even with a $30 price increase for my fullsize spare, I went with my local Discount Tire. I'll probably cross shop Tire Rack with them to get a good deal, but most likely will steer my business to my local Discount Tire shop.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Never buy TPMS sensors from any chain store as a package deal. It's much easier to buy the tires
and get the sensors online from a GM source or have your local tire dealer do it. GM's have 2 sensor frequencies and if they're mismatched, it will never work. IIRC, the Bolt is a 315 MHz sensor and not the 434 MHz unit. All new sensors that are not factory specific need to be encoded and will not work with any TPMS system if they are not encoded (blanks) with the proper data.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have purchased quite a few TPMS sensors as soon as I get them I check to see if they are live.

I have sent back many of them because they were dead.

No one should install a sensor without first checking to see if its live.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts