Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've now replaced my second tire in two months -- the first on a Volt, today on a Bolt. Before that, never had a single apocalyptic flat in my decades of driving. Now, I'm pulling shrapnel out of tires like I live in a war zone. But I don't live in a war zone.

Are these Bridgestone eco whatever super weak to tread punctures? The metal chunks I've pulled out are like rim weights, so big enough just cause an instant pressure drop to nothing with no hope for self-sealing or patching. And no one else I've spoken to around my area has ever had this happen -- it's like these tires are magnets for metal in a way other tires simply roll right over.

Now, my terrible Chevy dealer is charging me $250 to replace a single tire. No one else has these Bolt tires around, as far as I can tell. At this rate, I should just replace all my tires with something more durable/sporty. A 10% hit in mileage so I'm not replacing tires every two months is worth it.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
No ideas but hold off until others with more mileage respond. One of the great things about a (this) forum, is the benefit of the experience of hundreds of people driving thousands of miles (now over 1.25 million). I assume the Bolt is much newer than the Volt. Remind me what tire warranty comes with our Bolt tires and is this type of puncture covered?

I'm just over 4000 mile and no tire problems yet.

·
Banned
350 Posts
At this rate, I should just replace all my tires with something more durable/sporty.
Definitely. A full set of four Riken Raptor ZR summer tires from Tire Rack is just over $250 in OEM size, and they are much better tires (for summer weather).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey EldRick, good suggestion -- what do the Riken tires feel like? Do they cut down on the slippage when accelerating? Better cornering?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts