Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the subject says, my tires are worn down to 4/32 after only 6600 miles! have worse than average terrain, but even so this is unprecedented for me. Anyone else surprised by quick tire wear? Any chance Chevy will do anything to comp me for having to buy new tires so soon?

·
Registered
70 Posts
As the subject says, my tires are worn down to 4/32 after only 6600 miles! have worse than average terrain, but even so this is unprecedented for me. Anyone else surprised by quick tire wear? Any chance Chevy will do anything to comp me for having to buy new tires so soon?
I am new into the EV fray but I was forewarned by a former i3 owner that EVs in general go through tires quicker. This does not surprise me as my tires have spun out many times without even trying. I haven't had my tires checked yet.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Did they wear evenly, or unevenly? If they wore evenly, it seems you're accelerating or braking extremely hard, placing extra stress on them. Have you rotated the tires? You can probably go another 6,600 miles if you haven't. If the wear is uneven, it suggests misalignment.

Your wear rates are almost as bad as motorcycle tires.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Seems excessive to me too. Redpoint5 makes some good points. I rotated at 7500 miles with no noticeable wear. I plan to get to 15,000 and even beyond, possibly two new at 22,500 miles.

·
Registered
620 Posts
just realized a couple days ago my alignment is off. i only have 5500 miles on, and i'm not sure if it was misaligned from the factory or if i just didn't notice. no major potholes or anything. hopefully it'll be covered under as one of the two free service visits.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Seems excessive to me too. Redpoint5 makes some good points. I rotated at 7500 miles with no noticeable wear. I plan to get to 15,000 and even beyond, possibly two new at 22,500 miles.
I have to agree. I'm at 12,500, with no noticeable wear. Yours seems extreme, and I'd wonder about possible alignment issues (as others have mentioned). I can imagine the weight of an EV can put more stress on a tire, but the Bolt is still only about 3500 lbs.

I did find a few articles highlighting i3 tire wear problems, but the ones I read carefully seemed to put it off to the tire compound, and complained about how hard they were to find. Similar articles on the Chevy spark put it off to a heavy right foot.

Was it all 4 tires, or just the fronts?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
5800 miles on mine at 38 PSI. They look good though if I had to eyeball it, maybe a little under 1/2" depth? I pretty much drive on freeway and paved streets.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Should have a mileage warranty though the tire manufacturer. I have 38,000 miles and they look fine.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I had 10K miles on my original tires when I swapped them out for winter tires in December.
I could see a small amount of wear on the front vs. hardly any wear on the rear tires.

From what I have seen with 10K mi on them... they should last 30-40K miles IMO.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Are they the original OEM-stock tires as mounted at the assembly plant ?

Further to redpoint's, I noticed in summer weather my tires lost pressure quickly and inexplicably. All of them. No visible impairments such as nails etc. The dealer said they had nitrogen but I don't believe him.

I had to increase pressure frequently (like to have 270 kpa/39 PSI cold). But when the weather turned cold I don't have to do that nearly as frequently.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I noticed in summer weather my tires lost pressure quickly and inexplicably. All of them. No visible impairments such as nails etc. The dealer said they had nitrogen but I don't believe him.

I had to increase pressure frequently (like to have 270 kpa/39 PSI cold). But when the weather turned cold I don't have to do that nearly as frequently.
Good point; underinflation would certainly accelerate tire wear since it has to deflect more and rub on the pavement.

Strange observation of losing air in summer at a faster rate than winter. Either way, I disagree that this is normal. I'd put some dish soap in a spray bottle and look for leaks in the tread and also around where the tire meets the rim. Even the slightest of leaks will produce bubbles. My vehicles might lose a couple pounds of pressure per year. I'd probably fix any tire that lost more than 1 lb per month.

As for nitrogen, it's a gimmick for anything but racing applications. Air is 80% nitrogen, and the 20% that isn't won't affect tires in any noticeable way. I wouldn't bother going out of my way to get 100% nitrogen.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Tire wear is directly related to driver operation. If you're first off the line (jack rabbit starts) late on the binders and fly around corners, you'll find the tires will wear at an accelerated pace.... Pun intended! Considering EV's have maximum torque from zero and drivers nowadays are caffeinated to the hilt.

I would bet the torque @ 266 LB/FT that the Bolt delivers is the COF in this instance. I would also recommend to anyone driving a 4 wheel vehicle have the tires properly inflated and rotations done regularly.

Low tire pressures cause excessive heat and outer edge wear. Adding in big toque only heightens that affect. Comparing the Bolt to the same style of car with a naturally aspirated ICE will quickly enlighten anyone to the huge difference in power output between the two. We can't compare the Bolt to anything with a fourbanger ICE. They just can't compare to the superior technology of an EV.

Even the latest bumped up spec Toyota Camry with a 2.5L direct injected VVT ICE with a higher compression ratio of 13:1 can't match the Bolt's output number. The Bolt is rated @ 200 BHP and 266 LB/FT. Most fourbangers are 1.8L with an anemic output around 140 BHP @ 128 LB/FT. The 2018 Camry has a displacement bump to help keep it a viable solution. They offer the base 2.5L with 176 BHP @ 163 LB/FT. And the higher output 2.5L with 203 BHP. @ 184 LB/FT

It just can't match the instant torque of the far superior electric motor even with more BHP :p

·
Registered
179 Posts
(...)I have 38,000 miles and they look fine.
38k miles on the Bolt? That a lot of driving in a year of so. How is he car holding up?
It’s been the best car I have ever owned and is holding up like it was brand new. People that complain about suspension may be glad it breaks in at 38k but then again I like a stiff suspension. ( own a Mazda Miata really stiff suspension)
Saved enough money to buy a 5 year 150,000 extended warranty.

·
Registered
293 Posts
ON my previous EV, I got halfway through the front tires at the time of the first rotation, about 8000 miles.

If you haven't done a rotation yet....you have at least another 7000 miles before they're shot.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
do you have a teenager in the household that drives the Bolt? My Dad happened to noticed the tires on my car in high school before I had a chance to rotate the tires. Busted. What's a kid to do with a 400 cubic inch engine?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am surprised that so many are responding here. I chose to ignore this thread but it keeps on popping up as active! The OP made a general statement with very little detail, pics or further information. Like calling your doctor on the phone and telling him it hurts somewhere and asking him for a diagnosis. Yet here we are trying to diagnose a problem that cant be diagnosed. And the OP has not responded since. More importantly putting this statement out there places a negative suggestion in the mind of the reader, imperceptibly altering ones view on the vehicle in question.

·
Registered
293 Posts
At the same time, I find that the way I drive, tires on my EV cost about as much as electricity.

If my seasonal average is 3 miles/kWh, and my power is $0.15/kWh, this is $0.05/mile.

If my tires cost $800, and only go at best 24,000 miles before they are worn, this is $0.033/mile.

I don't think its bad to tell potential EV drivers about this.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts