Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a Bolt this weekend and I am in love! Don't need all the lane change and other add ons but I think I need the leather. What do all think of your choices?

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I wrestled with this question for quite awhile. There were some features of the Premier that I really liked and wanted, but others I really didn't care about. For me it's tough because I'm not really all that wealthy and I need to watch my money because of all the other interests I have.

In the end, because I was buying and not leasing, the extra $4200 just wasn't worth it for the things I cared about. I went LT. Having said that, I do really wish I had the bird's eye view feature and the blue ambient lighting... not enough to have regrets though.

My advise is, if you have the funds, go for the Premier, but if you're on a budget, get the LT and trust me, you will not regret it! It's still an awesome car! :D

·
Registered
499 Posts
I bough an LT with every option that was available, and I am very happy.
I don't really care for the video rear-view mirror (bifocals, don't ya' know)
And I don't care for leather. Cold in winter, hot in summer, although the pre-
condition feature negates both of those to some extent.
I wouldn't mind having the birds-eye view, but I drive a couple of luxury
cars for work once in a while, and it's nothing earth-shattering. Certainly
not worth 4 grand.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:DI've learned from experience, more options are best. That's me. Also, when leasing, the difference in price between the LT and Premier is less. I like technology, and I like the options a fully loaded Premier offers. Now a base model Tesla versus fully loaded is much different.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went through the same dilemma. Just my own peronal opinion.

Personally I think GM cheaped out on the Premier by not including adaptive cruise control even with its advanced sensors and safety features, it's still a half-finished product.
The video mirror is really cool, but I left it on when I rented a Bolt and the screen got hotter than I liked.
The wireless charging slot is too small for my phone. I like the LT center console better.
You can buy the false floor cover separately and install it into the LT. I was all gung ho about it in the beginning but I could careless now.
Intelligent high beam is nice, but I still like to control my own high beam, saving all the intricate parts and motors that will eventually go bad.
I won't miss the dash night limo light.
Leather sure looks nice but it's not as environmentally friendly, at least that's how I justified it.
Birdseye view is the only feature I really miss from the Premier, but I'm not sure if it's worth ~$4200.

In some way, I really love how "simple" my LT is, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I LOVE my Premier, but am old and don't want to leave TOO much for the charities and the kids. Seriously, amortized over 5 years, it is only ~$800 / year. And $67 per month is only one less "good" meal out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am coming from a fully tricked-out Jeep Cherokee. Adaptive cruise control and self-parking looked good in the brochure, but only used each once. Control issues! The Premier hits my sweet spot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I settled for an LT. While just about everything in life is "just $50/mo more", I decided the $50/mo more for a Premier wasn't worth it for me. I let my wife make the choice, she picked an Cajun Red LT over a black Premier. That settled it.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I settled for an LT. While just about everything in life is "just $50/mo more", I decided the $50/mo more for a Premier wasn't worth it for me. I let my wife make the choice, she picked an Cajun Red LT over a black Premier. That settled it.
She made an excellent choice! The red is awesome and saving money every month is always a good thing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Zeke54.

I have the answer to your dilemma.

I have an LT. I just couldn't justify the $4,100 difference but I strongly recommend the convenience and safety packages. Blind spot monitoring is a great thing...and has saved me more than once.

So...you can have leather on a Bolt LT....

https://katzkin.com/interior

Katzkin is a quality product. I had a Camry with Katzkin leather seats...not pleather which is what 99% of cars have now including the Bolt. Essentially pleather is glorified vinyl..not real leather. My old lexus LS 430 has real leather.

Toyota dealers in the Houston area put Katzkin in brand new base Camry's all day long as an option to keep the price down...and the quality is excellent.

This is not a crappy pull over product...its the real deal and as such is not super cheap but you get what you pay for...kind of like the Bolt.

Hope this helps you.

Again, I can attest to the quality of this product.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
The link above didn't work for me. Maybe this one will work for others.

https://katzkin.com/interior-selector

This is a great option if people are mostly buying the Premier just to get leather seats. Plus there are more options of designs and while the covers are being changed you could likely get whoever to stuff some more padding in there if you need it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was also on the fence when I ordered mine. I ended up buying a Premier + Infotainment Package + Driver Confidence II Package. Now with 3 months of Bolt EV ownership under my belt I am glad I went for these options. Here is what I like the most:

- The alloy wheels look great
- The Bose premium 7-Speaker audio system sounds great!
- My wife's first comment about the car was how much she liked the look and feel of the leather-wrapped steering wheel. Seriously. The steering wheel! I agree it is nice though.
- Heated seats and steering wheel. A must for our freezing Canadian winters. The leather seats are light and perforated, and aren't hot in the summer. They're not like the heavy black ones in my Lincoln, which do get hot/freezing. I don't know why the Bolt ones are so much better. Maybe they're synthetic.
- The rear parking assist, rear cross-traffic alert, and side blind zone alert could save me from an accident.
- The lane departure prevention, forward collision mitigation, and pedestrian impact prevention could save my car, or someone's life, some day.
- The bird's eye surround vision is freaking voodoo awesomeness.
- Ambient dash lighting piping is cool, and I like the extra cargo dividers

If you decide to go for the LT, make sure you still have a serious look at the driver confidence package. Life is too precious to skimp on these important safety features.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To put an end to my question I ended up with the premier, solid gray leather with orange stitching. It matches the orange burst paint. Anyway, thanks for the discussion. It all comes down to money but whether your short at the time or not, it doesn't matter as much on the long term. I hope the Bolt proves to be 'long term'.

·
Registered
592 Posts
With cars I always got the minimum I could, with the Bolt I got everything available and then some. Entirely glad I did - scratch that, I'd be really unhappy now if I had a LT. Consider ...

• Features like seat warmers sound frivolous, until you discover that cabin heat takes a ton of energy and they recommend using heaters as they are much more economical. Front and back, we have three people in the car
  • Rear USB charge ports sound stupid, until you have a wife or kid back there who wants their iPad to charge.
  • Keep in lane sounds not necessary, until you find it keeping you in your lane when you drift around too much
  • The rear view mirror screen sounds unnecessary, until you use it and realize how much safer and better it is (and restful).
  • The included false cargo floor sounds not necessary, until you realize how much you can pack back there this way (see my thread on "What do you carry")
  • The blue LED strip dash sounds like silly bling, until you drive and night and see how great it looks
On and on ... if you have the money, get it all is my advice, we spend a lot of time in cars and these really are worth it IMO.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I justified the premier with the 7500$ tax credit. Don't like leather but the rest I wanted. Don't buy new cars ever but this car is saving me 250-350$ every month. (2.00 a gallon gas to 3$ a gallon respectively) also I will drive this car tills it dead most likely. I have 29k and going strong!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts