Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove a Nissan Leaf for three years. After the first few weeks, I got into the habit of pulling into a parking spot and hitting the power button without actually putting the selector in Park. Knowing that the 'transmission' is really just electronics, it seemed fine and never gave me any problems.

Fast forward to 2017 and I buy a brand new Chevy Bolt LT. Old habits... so I do the same thing in my Bolt. I pull into my spot, slap the power button, and hop out of the car. As I walk away, I can hear the locks cycle (auto locking.. cool feature). In any case, not explicitly putting the selector in Park does not seem to harm anything.

Tonight, I noticed something I had missed before. If I do my usual thing and hit the power button with the car in D or L, if you watch for it, you will hear/see the shift lever go to Park before the car powers off. I would swear that I saw the 'P' illuminate red just and the power cut out. So I guess Chevy decided to take car of putting the car in the correct posture for me. I'll pay more attention tomorrow and confirm what I saw tonight. Just thought people might find it interesting.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I I would swear that I saw the 'P' illuminate red just and the power cut out. So I guess Chevy decided to take car of putting the car in the correct posture for me. I'll pay more attention tomorrow and confirm what I saw tonight. Just thought people might find it interesting.
Not only does it go into park but I believe the handbrake goes on too. If you stick it in Park while you are still moving somewhat, the handbrake goes on automatically then. GM does not allow you to break the rules.... sorry.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I saw/heard on a recent (yesterday) Youtube video that simply powering off (after stopped) WILL put the Bolt in "Park" AND put the Parking Brake on. I have, up to now, reversed my startup order of "power on-parking brake off-shift" when I am done driving. So I "Park-Brake-Power" as my shutoff sequence. I shall try simply hitting the power button and see if I can save two button pushes without adverse consequences.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think I also discovered that, if you are in Drive and take off your seat belt (say at a stop light to reach to get something from the back), it puts in in P.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I also discovered that, if you are in Drive and take off your seat belt (say at a stop light to reach to get something from the back), it puts in in P.
whoa.. I would not expect that. I hopped out of my car last week to rescue a freshwater turtle that was crossing the road (kid you not) and I don't remember it going all cyborg on me. I know I put it in park, and hit the hazards, but I don't recall the brake coming on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have powered off by mistake without hitting P a few times and have seen the same thing happen. But I have tried to always keep in mind to cycle the transmission as I still drive ICE cars and wouldn't want to do that in those :)

·
Registered
739 Posts
One day its going to put it in park, activate the handbrake, wait for me to go rescue that turtle, and then drive off without me. So far, it has not convinced me that it knows that I am the driver and the BOSS!

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
One day its going to put it in park, activate the handbrake, wait for me to go rescue that turtle, and then drive off without me. So far, it has not convinced me that it knows that I am the driver and the BOSS!
Hopefully, one day it will give you automatic turtle warnings and point them out for you! Imagine that, a car that works to avoid road kill.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hopefully, one day it will give you automatic turtle warnings and point them out for you! Imagine that, a car that works to avoid road kill.
That would be awesome. Too many close calls with neighborhood pets, back roads deer, and even entranced goths with headphones on. Can't wait for Level 5 Autonomy to be mandated.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Hopefully, one day it will give you automatic turtle warnings and point them out for you!
I can see it now - a little amber turtle icon lights up every time the car detects a turtle.

I wonder if it would get confused between turtle vs. pedestrian if a teenage mutant ninja turtle appears...

·
Registered
499 Posts
I can see it now - a little amber turtle icon lights up every time the car detects a turtle.

I wonder if it would get confused between turtle vs. pedestrian if a teenage mutant ninja turtle appears...
OK, that's pretty funny.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts

OK, well the Bolt may not have turtle avoidance, but I can now see the potential for it to confuse pedestrians and cars. Whenever I pass this truck the pedestrian avoidance icon lights up on the dash:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
OK, well the Bolt may not have turtle avoidance, but I can now see the potential for it to confuse pedestrians and cars. Whenever I pass this truck the pedestrian avoidance icon lights up on the dash:
That, that is both intriguing and frightening. Sure hope sensor fusion between images and rader return would help prevent false positives. Imagine someone playing a practical joke by just throwing a cardboard cutout into traffic made up of level 5 cars: absolutely halt.

so you think you are the boss eh? hmmmm :)
Wha?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I pull up and unlatch the seat belt. This applies the parking brake and I turn the car off.
I never use the park button or the parking brake button. I also put it into L mode and drive off.
The car will release the parking brake without the need for me to push the button. I like it!

·
Registered
624 Posts
whoa.. I would not expect that. I hopped out of my car last week to rescue a freshwater turtle that was crossing the road (kid you not) and I don't remember it going all cyborg on me. I know I put it in park, and hit the hazards, but I don't recall the brake coming on.
i think you have to be on an incline for the brake to come on when you take off your belt.

I pull up and unlatch the seat belt. This applies the parking brake and I turn the car off.
I never use the park button or the parking brake button. I also put it into L mode and drive off.
The car will release the parking brake without the need for me to push the button. I like it!
i just don't understand why they didn't make the parking brake automatic whenever you push the park button as well. it would just make sense.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Maybe I only dreamed it but... I could swear that the manual says that if you power off will still 'in gear' that the Bolt puts it into park...
It does.

edit: yes the car does. And the manual says so on page 202

When turning off the vehicle, if the vehicle is not in P(Park), the gear will go to P(Park) and then power off automatically.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts