Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
2023 Bolt LT1 Bright Blue
180 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the wheel bearings handle the side thrust these tires can produce, added on top of a boatload of torque from the electric drive. Since you are changing the camber settings, will the caster and bump steer change that much? I would assume you are going stiffer with shocks.
I have used these tires in showroom stock class, and they are amazing. Sooo sticky!

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will be interesting to see how the wheel bearings handle the side thrust these tires can produce, added on top of a boatload of torque from the electric drive. Since you are changing the camber settings, will the caster and bump steer change that much? I would assume you are going stiffer with shocks.
I have used these tires in showroom stock class, and they are amazing. Sooo sticky!
I've thought of that... I'm hoping that gm factored those loads into a car weighing 3800 lbs. - or almost 4600 if fully laden with well-fed adults (LOL) - even without the racing factor. Ideally, it has the "beefieness" of hub and bearing assembly that one would think (same with the halfshafts) could cope with the loads... Time will tell.

OTOH, I owned a 4th gen Camaro. I could change one in 15 minutes if push came to shove.

Also, yes. The coilovers are going to be MUCH stiffer in both valving and spring rate. Think 500 lbs./in at least.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't run it yet as I just got the car a month ago and our season ended here in the northeast, but the SCCA has created a new category / class for the rise of the EVs.

It's called EVX and right now it's a catch-all, so a Bolt runs against rockets like the Taycan Turbo S and the Model 3 Performance.

Street Touring was the same way when it began 22 years ago, everything in one class. Eventually, the category split into more realistic classes and look at it now... It's a super healthy category.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of top speed can be reached in a SCCA autocross course? Do you stay below the 92 mph limiter?
All street-legal cars rarely get above 75, and that's assuming one has a big, open course.

I've driven high HP cars that touched 80. Certain purpose-build cars with aero (think A-Mod) may go above that, but never a street-based car.

These tires are shorter, so the Bolt will not even reach 93, BUT I'm hoping that it does the 20-60 mph run even faster than it could on stock diameter tires.

· Registered
180 Posts
I used to autocross a lot, and my 1972 240Z Datsun would rarely get out of 2nd gear. Pushed to 6,500 rpm redline in 2nd was 63 mph. Fast enough in a parking lot, where a lot of autocrosses are held.
The courses are usually short and very twisty. It's a drivers thing, more than just the car.

· Registered
180 Posts
I pulled up the EVX (electric vehicle experimental class) rules and specs on SCCA, and wow! You can do just about anything you want to the suspension, but no changes are allowed on the electrical propulsion and management systems. The Bolt has a chance! I saw the Tesla is accepted, but no Fiat 500e or Chevy Spark. Those would be little terrors on a short course.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used to autocross a lot, and my 1972 240Z Datsun would rarely get out of 2nd gear. Pushed to 6,500 rpm redline in 2nd was 63 mph. Fast enough in a parking lot, where a lot of autocrosses are held.
The courses are usually short and very twisty. It's a drivers thing, more than just the car.
Well aware. Been doing it for 30 years now. LOL!

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I pulled up the EVX (electric vehicle experimental class) rules and specs on SCCA, and wow! You can do just about anything you want to the suspension, but no changes are allowed on the electrical propulsion and management systems. The Bolt has a chance! I saw the Tesla is accepted, but no Fiat 500e or Chevy Spark. Those would be little terrors on a short course.
Problem is the class is a catch-all for ALL EVs.

ALL

OF

THEM

That includes the Model 3 Performance and the Taycan Turbo S.

The SCCA needs to develop a proper class structuring system like they did for Street Touring (STS, STR, STX, STU)

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll be very curious to hear how things go. I'm sure the grip of those tires plus the coilovers will make the EUV a lot of fun.
People love the Bolt on the BC Racing stuff and that's "one size fits all" type valving and spring rates.

Shenefield and his crew at STANDARD RACING is going to hand valve each kit.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It’s a shame that EV batteries weigh so much. If anyone can make a 2000 lb EV sports car with a couple hundred hp they would be a sheer terror on a tight autocross track 😀
I remember that Lamborghini and Callaway (golf, not the car builder) were supposed to co-develop ways to get carbon fiber reinforced resins done cheaper and more industrial-scaled for various purposes. Never heard much about that again. BUT that's your answer... Carbon fiber chassis is a must. Think Alfa Romeo 4C but electric. Maybe not 2000 lbs. but sub 3000 lbs. is a totally possibility because the Bolt is relatively "light" for what it is.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts