Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't think it was possible but guess what...IT IS!

You read that right, my inconspicuous little BOLT beat a 2017 Civic Type R on the straight shot 0-60 mph...

Early in the morning there is a section of road with a stop light which then goes from 2 lanes to one with a hard left turn at the end as you begin your entrance to the freeway. Inconsiderate drivers like to skip the left turn line and sneak around in the right lane while the stoplight turns from red to green, then floor it and cut you off to make the left hand turn 1000 feet down the road. There is no other traffic as there is no lanes coming from the opposite direction. I have grown tired of this and this morning I was not in a good mood, so I decided to have a little fun since I recognized the car as the same one that was playing this game last week with other drivers.

I advised him I was ready to play, engaging sport mode and edging the Bolt to the intersection stop line. I think he was laughing. Then the light tuned green.

Suffice to say, he really didn't know what hit him...because he kept looking over at the Bolt wondering what it was...and he wasn't laughing anymore.

Silly fool, it was lightning in a black wrapper...minus all that noisy thunder that was emanating from under your civic.

It was close, but I beat him by a half car length and needless to say, he missed his left hand turn at the end when he ran out of real estate.

And on stock Michelin eco tires, not on sticky rubber...OH THE SHAME!

Clocking 62 before reducing speed for the left hand turn.

I am in a better mood now.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I appreciate the sentiment, but surely the car trying to pass on the right bears at least some responsibility, perhaps most of it.
Hard to tell, as the OP is a bit confusing.

a section of road with a stop light which then goes from 2 lanes to one with a hard left turn at the end as you begin your entrance to the freeway. Inconsiderate drivers like to skip the left turn line and sneak around in the right lane ...
Where are you supposed to merge? First bit suggests after the traffic light, second part suggests before the traffic light.

I think, we are taking this way to serious. It was about toasting a Type R, wasn't it? >:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think some are taking this way too seriously.

It was meant to highlight the lighter, fun side of owning a Bolt....not commentary on who bears responsibility in which lane.

Ampera E had it right...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
According to Car and Driver, the Honda Civic Type R 0-60 is 4.9 seconds, versus 6.5 for the Bolt.

Clearly, the OP encountered a Type R owner who didn’t know how to drive a Type R, or at least didn’t know how to shift.

With a 1.6 second advantage the Bolt would be in the Civic’s rear view mirror pretty quickly.

The Bolt is quick, but not that quick.

I’ll leave aside any moralizing about whether it’s prudent to engage in street racing, other than to say letting another car merge ahead of me isn’t an issue.

I guess I’m getting too old for that, as I find myself not in any particular hurry these days.

·
Registered
178 Posts

It was meant to highlight the lighter, fun side of owning a Bolt....not commentary on who bears responsibility in which lane.

Ampera E had it right...

Thanks.
I understand that. Doesn't change the fact the type of behavior you engaged in results in people being injured or killed.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Fun read. Reminds me of people who use the extra wide portion of a single lane that was supposed to have merged already to pass 6 more cars. I have no patience for those who think they are better than the line. I'll maintain course and speed as is my legal responsibility, despite jerks desire that I slow down to get out of the way of his pushing into my position. Still don't know why those people get so angry when I disallow them from illegally passing a 7th vehicle.

Autonomous driving is fair and efficient driving. I can hardly wait.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Reminds me of people who don’t zipper in.... they run around the car in front of them (who is zippering) and run all the way up the now empty lane expecting someone to let them in. In the days when I drove a duality pickup I would ride in the lane next to a trucker blocking the anti-zipperers. One woman actually ran off the road in the grass so determined to get past... and got stuck in the soft earth.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Reminds me of people who don’t zipper in.... they run around the car in front of them (who is zippering) and run all the way up the now empty lane expecting someone to let them in.
When there's enough traffic that the cars are basically stop-and-go, the recommended practice is to stay in your own lane until it ends, and then merge. Merging early just causes a lot of extra waiting and bad tempers because some people will wait to merge early and others will rush to the end of the lane.

The only way to get true alternation between the lanes without ruffling any feathers is if everyone waits until the end of the lane to merge. Therefore, I reserve my ill will for the people who merge early. I'm sure they think they're being polite, but it's really a lot more problematic.

This recommended technique is called "late merge", and a quick Google search will show that it's pretty universally recommended by most state DOTs.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The only way to get true alternation between the lanes without ruffling any feathers is if everyone waits until the end of the lane to merge. Therefore, I reserve my ill will for the people who merge early. I'm sure they think they're being polite, but it's really a lot more problematic.
Totally agree. It is an open invitation to those that want to take advantage of the situation 'to gain a few positions'. And when you are in the left lane yourself, trying to do the right thing, and the guy / girl in front of you merges prematurely, you have to choose between a) doing the same which is counterproductive as a lot of cars that were behind you will try to pass you plus the guy / girl in front of you, b) speed up to the end of the lane, which is bad manners or c) trying to regulate things by acting as a moving roadblock, which most people will not appreciate as the don't understand why you do it 0:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Reminds me of people who don’t zipper in.... they run around the car in front of them (who is zippering) and run all the way up the now empty lane expecting someone to let them in. In the days when I drove a duality pickup I would ride in the lane next to a trucker blocking the anti-zipperers. One woman actually ran off the road in the grass so determined to get past... and got stuck in the soft earth.
If it's at the merge point why not let them in? Even if it's not at the merge point just let them in. It's not going to save you any time and there's a potential for damage, injury, or death.

I know how people feel and it's frustrating. But on the other hand if that's the worst thing that happens that day then it's a good day. The alternative is to get angry and possibly worse. I see it happen all the time. One incident ended up with an actual slow speed collision. No one was injured (or at risk given the slow speed) but now they were involved with an accident and had to waste time out of their day dealing with an accident. Not worth it.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

·
Registered
392 Posts
When there's enough traffic that the cars are basically stop-and-go, the recommended practice is to stay in your own lane until it ends, and then merge. Merging early just causes a lot of extra waiting and bad tempers because some people will wait to merge early and others will rush to the end of the lane.

This recommended technique is called "late merge", and a quick Google search will show that it's pretty universally recommended by most state DOTs.
Although I agree in practice to this, in application ends up being that the merging vehicle is not given their zippered spot by the driver in the merged lane. This interaction is most common and one that get tempers going. Eventualy this breaks down into the anarchy we see. Many people dont want that interaction, or stress of zipper merging and choose to go over early when space is readily available.

Sharks vs victims.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Although I agree in practice to this, in application ends up being that the merging vehicle is not given their zippered spot by the driver in the merged lane.
It most cases that happens because the guy in the merged lane has already been more-or-less forced to let in a few vehicles that merged early. By the time he gets to the forced merge point he's in "I've had enough" mode. If everyone just waited until the end of the merging lane to merge then this wouldn't be an issue, since each driver would only need to yield to one merging vehicle.

I drive southbound over the Lion's Gate Bridge in Vancouver where four lanes merge into one. First the outer pair of lanes merge together into two lanes, and then the remaining two lanes merge into one. It's amazing to me how civil people are about it, because almost nobody tries to merge early.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts

I'm specifically referring to an incident in which the merge point had already passed. The single lane was tapering into the regular lane width. Guy in some sort of old muscle car passed everyone that had already merged, and refused to fill the enormous space behind my van, but instead wanted to be right where my van was, so much so that he was then driving on the gravel shoulder with his girlfriend yelling and hitting him.

I will make way for drivers who are unaware and try to move into my space, such as the many recent incidents on the freeway where people simply didn't see me in their blind spot. I will not make way for aggressive anarchy drivers. They shall get in line.

·
Registered
501 Posts
According to Car and Driver, the Honda Civic Type R 0-60 is 4.9 seconds, versus 6.5 for the Bolt.

Clearly, the OP encountered a Type R owner who didn’t know how to drive a Type R, or at least didn’t know how to shift.

With a 1.6 second advantage the Bolt would be in the Civic’s rear view mirror pretty quickly.

The Bolt is quick, but not that quick.

I’ll leave aside any moralizing about whether it’s prudent to engage in street racing, other than to say letting another car merge ahead of me isn’t an issue.

I guess I’m getting too old for that, as I find myself not in any particular hurry these days.
Excellent post. Reminds me of the guy on the TDI forums that was bragging about beating a Z06 to 60 from a stoplight. If the other guy isn't racing, or if he can't drive, it's pretty easy to beat him.
But... I'm with the other guys. Let him go. The 4 1/2 seconds that you 'save' aren't worth the potential road rage, road rash, or road kill.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Ampera E had it right...

Thanks.
I think it was an exemplary act of kindness on your part, creating a gap between you and the car behind you for the Civic to merge into :D Shame on the poor Civic if he failed to recognize that.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts