Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apologies for jumping into sharing such things so quickly, but I cannot imagine I am the first person to think "wouldn't it be cool if I could integrate my car with my toaster?"

So I have wrapped the myChevrolet (api.gm.com) api calls in a C# library and even included a little example WPF tester app.

I know I'm not the first to figure out how; It does however appear I am the first who is willing to share everything necessary to accomplish the task. And document it.

If you can read or speak c# please do have a gander over at my GitHub library regarding the subject: https://github.com/q39JzrRa/GM-Vehicle-API

I do not believe I am sharing anything anybody who has the app couldn't figure out with a little determination. There are clientIDs and Client Secrets involved in the login process that I am unwilling to share - that's the kind of stuff that causes international incidents - but I spun up a heroku app that is built automatically from a very simple php script in this library: q39JzrRa/GM-Vehicle-API-AuthUtil which you can review if you have concerns regarding the privacy of your data. (And I suggest you do)

Really just trying to be helpful - we all know Tesla has opened up their APIs, and GM promised they would in 2013. Some jokers out there are charging people for the privilege of using the API and I don't believe that's right. We paid a lot for our cars, we pay for the connect car service; we should be able to call it as we like.

Hope this helps!

(Edit: If anyone thinks this is worthy, and would be so kind as to add a link to the GitHub repo I would be most grateful)

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
Apologies for jumping into sharing such things so quickly, but I cannot imagine I am the first person to think "wouldn't it be cool if I could integrate my car with my toaster?"

So I have wrapped the myChevrolet (api.gm.com) api calls in a C# library and even included a little example WPF tester app.

I know I'm not the first to figure out how; It does however appear I am the first who is willing to share everything necessary to accomplish the task. And document it.

If you can read or speak c# please do have a gander over at my GitHub library regarding the subject: q39JzrRa/GM-Vehicle-API

I do not believe I am sharing anything anybody who has the app couldn't figure out with a little determination. There are clientIDs and Client Secrets involved in the login process that I am unwilling to share - that's the kind of stuff that causes international incidents - but I spun up a heroku app that is built automatically from a very simple php script in this library: q39JzrRa/GM-Vehicle-API-AuthUtil which you can review if you have concerns regarding the privacy of your data. (And I suggest you do)

Really just trying to be helpful - we all know Tesla has opened up their APIs, and GM promised they would in 2013. Some jokers out there are charging people for the privilege of using the API and I don't believe that's right. We paid a lot for our cars, we pay for the connect car service; we should be able to call it as we like.

Hope this helps!

(Edit: If anyone thinks this is worthy, and would be so kind as to add a link to the GitHub repo I would be most grateful)
This is over my head, but do you think you could eventually make an app similar to LeafSpy for the Bolt?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Worthy? Most assuredly
Quickly? not a consideration
wait for it
For someone who grew up listening to Captain Midnight and Hopalong Cassidy on AM radio and believes AM in cars is mankind's greatest effort, if whatever you wrote is free, I'll take one

·
Registered
938 Posts
You wrote in the read me at the site; "To use this API you will require a valid client id and client secret. The correct approach would be to request access from GM at https://developer.gm.com/ or by emailing them at developer.gm.com. "

Did you use tools to determine the client id/secret or did you obtain access via the method you propose?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Never heard of leafspy - I'll take a look and see if such a thing is within my capability
Leaf Spy is totally different. It doesn't even require the vehicle have any telematics unit (S trim Leafs don't have it; TCU contains a cellular radio). It's all local by controlling ELM327 compatible OBD2 dongles. They apparently use commands similar to Hayes modem AT commands. Remember ATDT? ATH? ATZ?

(I've been a user of Leaf Spy since July 2015 and still have my Leaf.)

Turbo3 (aka Jim) is the author and lives a few miles from me. See posts by Turbo3 at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12098, for instance. Maybe also look at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12785.

A few years back, this guy showed up out of the blue and posted the commands to send to an ELM327 to disable Leaf's noisemaker: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=23864. It was quite a first post! Turbo3 ended up implemented it and adding it to the Pro version of the app.

Prior to Leaf Spy, he was building WattsLeft https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=8527. He had to program the chip using assembly language and as he wrote "The SX28AC is a very basic single chip system with 2K words (12 bits) of EEPROM program storage, 136 bytes of RAM all inside a 28 pin package with 20 general purpose I/O pins. The instruction set is similar to the PIC16C5x series but with a few more instructions. It can run at up to 75 MHz with one instruction executed each cycle (except for jumps/calls, of course)."

I think he's abandoned WattsLeft since Android and iOS devices are WAY less limiting.

I believe he and garygid (the guy who discovered the "unit" named in his honor) have been collaborating on TM Spy (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Turbo3.TMSpy&hl=en_US).

I'd been hoping that Jim or someone like him would do a "Bolt Spy". It sounds like Torque with PIDs folks have discovered is the closest, so far.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
What is this thread about? What exactly is the OP trying to accomplish?
In engineering, someone has a fantastic idea, and then it is made a reality (one that is workable compromise) by engineers, who consider all the trade-offs and safety factors.

In reverse engineering, someone has a reality (one that is workable compromise), and it is made into a fantastic idea by reverse engineers, who forget about all the trade-offs and safety factors.

Contrast with eating and reverse eating.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I’d love to see someone cook up a Garmin connect app so I could start my bolt from my watch! This seems like the first step.
They need to integrate Alexa with your watch and via the 3rd party 'skill' you could pull it off. Not exactly answering the need directly but it would work and I would love to talk into my watch; "Alexa, ask Chevrolet to start my car"

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, I saw your GITHUB work - Thanks for that! I'm a crappy programmer, so all I can do is ask OTHERS about this great idea, but to get it in Python so it can get moved over in to HomeAssistant and other open source automation platforms. And as for your client secrets and international incidents, I'm sure anybody who can program will be able to find the info that they need.

I think the problem with all this is, however, that we're going to need a stupid Onstar subscription to keep it working?

·
Registered
82 Posts
What is this thread about? What exactly is the OP trying to accomplish?
To allow a better app than the MyChevrolet app that we have all come to hate to be written. To allow the open source software community to develop a home automation system that's more agnostic and useful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
More power to ya!
Had MyChevrolet application installed on iPhone for a week... As far as I can tell, nothing works more than once.
Didn't for me. Uninstalled it. Unbelievable they could let such garbage out into the wild and then seemingly never fix all of the issues with it for the last 3 years. Am I missing something? Does any of it work on Android?

·
Registered
938 Posts
More power to ya!
Had MyChevrolet application installed on iPhone for a week... As far as I can tell, nothing works more than once.
Didn't for me. Uninstalled it. Unbelievable they could let such garbage out into the wild and then seemingly never fix all of the issues with it for the last 3 years. Am I missing something? Does any of it work on Android?
I'm using it on Android and have used the GM variant as well for 5 years .... which is identical. It has crashed a handful of times but generally I consider it stable and worthy. I use it only in winter to warm up the cabin/car/whatever. However, I have found that for preconditioning or unlocking, I can get the Alexa app to do it faster .... timing from launch through speaking the command AND the pin to deed being done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You wrote in the read me at the site; "To use this API you will require a valid client id and client secret. The correct approach would be to request access from GM at https://developer.gm.com/ or by emailing them at developer.gm.com. "

Did you use tools to determine the client id/secret or did you obtain access via the method you propose?
I had to extract the keys. To avoid lawyers I'm not sharing the keys or how to obtain them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I saw your GITHUB work - Thanks for that! I'm a crappy programmer, so all I can do is ask OTHERS about this great idea, but to get it in Python so it can get moved over in to HomeAssistant and other open source automation platforms. And as for your client secrets and international incidents, I'm sure anybody who can program will be able to find the info that they need.

I think the problem with all this is, however, that we're going to need a stupid Onstar subscription to keep it working?
Correct

1 - 19 of 19 Posts