Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have it on good authority that the Nissan Leaf will exceed it's top speed of 93mph (not admitting anything, but I do drive one). How about the Bolt? Online it says it's regulated at 91mph, which is bound to piss off a few Tesla drivers behind you in the HOV lane. How fast will it really go?

·
Registered
179 Posts
92 is it for mine. But the miles on the GOM go by fast.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I understand the speed is electronically limited to 150kph, which is about 93.2 mph. It checks out - I have gotten my Bolt up to 93mph several times, but could not get to 94.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Do people really drive 90 on the freeway? I don't even go 80 even though that seems to be the new societal norm for freeway driving. I guess they really aren't handing out tickets much anymore.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Do people really drive 90 on the freeway? I don't even go 80 even though that seems to be the new societal norm for freeway driving. I guess they really aren't handing out tickets much anymore.
Some do, at some times/places. The average is significantly lower.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In some places in Texas, there is an 80 MPH speed limit. I wouldn't be surprised if some people exceed that by more than 10 MPH.

It might be possible to adjust the maximum frequency of the inverter to get a higher top speed but I really think that 92 MPH is adequate. My motorcycle is supposed to have a top speed of about 128 MPH but I've had it up to 100 MPH only once and very briefly.

·
Registered
247 Posts
71.5 miles here. I dare not drive any faster.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The speed limit in Ontario Canada is 100 km an hour. In the city the fast lane drivers go 120 in the country the fast lane drivers go to 140 - 150 just under the impound law. Lets just say its easy to hit the speed limited by Chevy in my area. Seems to be 148 km per hour

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Fastest I've gone was a little over 70mph to overtake someone doing 60 in the right. I typically try to aim for 60mph since the green circle on the dash starts turning yellow if I drive faster than 60mph on cruise control. I just keep right and let others pass me, but will speed up if all lanes are full and traffic is moving faster. Going slower than the flow of traffic is dangerous in that case so "when in rome"...

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
574 Posts
I too have hit 93 mph on a level freeway. I was testing the top speed at full throttle when I had the road to myself. The Bolt was clearly willing to go much faster - it was still accelerating strongly when it hit 93 mph - but the electronic governor kicked in and refused to let it pick up any more speed. The motor is spinning at about 9000 rpm at this speed.

·
Registered
362 Posts
92 multiple times. That's it for the little fellow. Local freeway has a 75 mph limit so cruising in the 80s is common.
It gets to the top speed with alacrity. If it had a 2nd gear it could go much faster but it is fine as is.

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did go 102mph with my gen 1 Volt couple of times on a level deserted highway. Gen 1 MGB motor rpm limit is 10 000rpm. I wonder what is the limit of the Bolt motor.
Bolt could actually have a faster quarter mile time if the speed limiter was higher. Hyundai ioniq electric has 106mph speed limiter with only 120hp. I know top speed is not important in an electric car, but I think the Bolt should at least have 100 mph top speed.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The speed limit in Ontario Canada is 100 km an hour. In the city the fast lane drivers go 120 in the country the fast lane drivers go to 140 - 150 just under the impound law. Lets just say its easy to hit the speed limited by Chevy in my area. Seems to be 148 km per hour
Watch it, the internet bad driving police might getcha! >:)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts