Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What charge time should I expect to charge the bolt from about 60% to full? Evgo in Victorville ...

and does the Evgo shut you off after 30 mins?

thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
based on the EVgo chargers I have used so far, which is only two, charging from 60% to full would probably take at least one hour, and might take one and a half hours. It can vary because the time depends on how many amps the charging station can supply. The Bolt can take up to at least 125 amps, which a few stations have, but some are only about 100 amps, and those will take longer.

The Bolt charging current drops to a little bit lower rate at about 60%, and drops to a much slower rate at about 80%. And the charging station charges by the minute, so that last 20% starts to cost a lot more per mile than you would pay at home.

The stations in California that I used, did not cut off the charging.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Victorville EvGo is 125 amp one hour should provide with a full
If concerned Baker has some Level 2 chargers
The Las Vegas DCFC stations max out at 100 amp so will take a little longer.

What charge time should I expect to charge the bolt from about 60% to full? Evgo in Victorville ...

and does the Evgo shut you off after 30 mins?

thanks

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The Bolt 'tapers off' DCFC charging (to lower charge rates) at around 50%, and around 70%, and around 80% (so I have heard). Around 50% the charging rate drops to about 38 kW, and around 70% it drops to around 24 kW, and around 80% it drops to around 17 kW.

So charging from 60% to full would take a lot longer than charging from 10% to 50%.

60% SoC is *about* 36 kWh, with about 24 kWh 'to fill' to be 'full'.

6 kWh @ 38 kW (?10 mins?)
+6 kWh @ 24 kW (?15 mins?)
+12 kWh @ 17 kW (?40 mins?)

So it appears that it would take about an hour. That is straight calculation, no personal experience involved.

And yes, Evgo will shut you off after 30 mins.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
With the EvGo, can you just start it back up again like a parking meter and get another 30 minutes?
Yes. But you need to physically start another session....no remote anything.

And if you have a plan that charges the $4.95 connection fee, that gets expensive REAL quick.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all great info thanks!

I figured 1hr will do ... I won't let them rape me for a 3rd session knowing that I can "trickle" charge in baker and prim if needed - in LV I should be fine as i'll be staying at a hotel and fast charge is not needed - on the way back a 30 min charge should do as the battery will be at a low to very low level and i'll need only about 25kw to make it home from there ...I definitly will report!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
based on the EVgo chargers I have used so far, which is only two, charging from 60% to full would probably take at least one hour, and might take one and a half hours. It can vary because the time depends on how many amps the charging station can supply. The Bolt can take up to at least 125 amps, which a few stations have, but some are only about 100 amps, and those will take longer.

The Bolt charging current drops to a little bit lower rate at about 60%, and drops to a much slower rate at about 80%. And the charging station charges by the minute, so that last 20% starts to cost a lot more per mile than you would pay at home.

The stations in California that I used, did not cut off the charging.

which stations and which plan? some said with the $14.95 plan you won't get cutoff - but nobody really knows ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts