Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking for an EV. It's basically a Bolt, Model 3 or the new Nissan. I was going to go with the Bolt but when I checked in around February - I was told a September delivery so I decided to wait to see what the Tesla was gonna be. Now that they are saying maybe late 2018 deliveries for the Tesla - I've turned my attention back to the Bolt or possibly the new Leaf. Just called a dealership here in Toronto and they are saying April 2018 for a Bolt!

Of all the things the ON gov't could do to advance EV's in this province is get one of the manufacturers to convert a plant here to EVs!!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
VERY frustrating. Here in WV, orders will be taken in Sept for Dec. delivery. Since I still had a MD home, I went to Frederick, MD and bought with no delay - exactly what I wanted. "Smuggled" it into WV and will transfer title from MD to WV when it arrives in the mail (now waiting 11+ weeks). {I guess you cannot swim either the St. Clair or Detroit rivers with a Bolt on your back!}

Hang in there - it will be worth it. Maybe you can find a "Forum friend" who lives near enough to let you see/ride/drive/learn about the Bolt, so when yours arrives you are ahead of the learning curve. Just following threads in this Forum will put you miles ahead and allow you to utilize your Bolt more fully when acquired!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Might be worthwhile keeping eyes peeled on the Bolt Cda facebook page. A couple/few 2017 Bolt order cancellation opportunities have popped up there. Would require one to be un-picky about trim level, colour equipment etc.

Of all the things the ON gov't could do to advance EV's in this province is get one of the manufacturers to convert a plant here to EVs!!

Very unlikely due to: lack of Cdn Federal support at consumer level notwithstanding what the nutbars in ON gov’t have laid out in terms of consumer incentives, big three (esp GM) have engineering prowess here but Mr Pres Trump wouldn’t like it, SE-USA and Mexico still cheaper partly due to what the nutbars in ON gov’t did to the province’s electricity supply grid, Magna recently scoffed at the volume projections for EV’s & no other 1st tier supplier could do it..

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hang in there - it will be worth it. Maybe you can find a "Forum friend" who lives near enough to let you see/ride/drive/learn about the Bolt, /QUOTE]

In Toronto, we have the EV Discovery Centre that has several EVs available for test drives, including the Bolt.

The other thing to do would be to call dealers further out and see if you'd be closer to the front of the line for people wanting to order Bolts. Maybe you'd have an estimated delivery of Jan or Feb in that case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all!

The frustrating thing is that no dealer seems to keen on selling me the car. I get that they don't really want to sell the car because it goes against their business plan but still - hard to spend such a large amount of money on a company that made it more for compliance.

I placed a call into a second dealership this morning and the sales person was very helpful. Then she said she had to talk to her manager and she would call me right back. I'm guessing she won't bother. That's been my sales experience with the Bolt and dealerships.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Thanks all!

The frustrating thing is that no dealer seems to keen on selling me the car. I get that they don't really want to sell the car because it goes against their business plan but still - hard to spend such a large amount of money on a company that made it more for compliance.

I placed a call into a second dealership this morning and the sales person was very helpful. Then she said she had to talk to her manager and she would call me right back. I'm guessing she won't bother. That's been my sales experience with the Bolt and dealerships.
I hear you. Fortunately my dealership seemed happy to take my pre-order with only a minimal suggestion to look at the Volt along the way. However since then I happened to stop by another dealership (after I had my car) and had a quick chat with a sales guy there and he was talking about what a liability electric propulsion is (range, charging etc.) and he fell into sales pitch for a gas car.... All this while knowing that I just bought a Bolt, which was parked a few stalls down the lot. That combined with the multiple examples of the rest of GM Canada being clueless about EVs and the Bolt in particular, I don't see the Bolt being sold beyond the EV community spreading the word. Right now that word of mouth and savvy customers are resulting in more buyers than allocations in Canada.

It's debatable whether GM is making any money on this car by the time you factor up-front manufacturing losses, engineering costs etc. against sale price and carbon credits. They're making and distributing more cars than are needed for compliance purposes, but not enough to suggest they really want to sell the thing. I'm not sure what their goal is with it, test bed maybe? Technology and testing the EV market? A penis size contest with Tesla proving that they can make an EV if they wanted to? If they straight up wanted to shift more cars, they could very easily do that by exporting more of them. There's some master plan in action that we don't have all the information about. Then again, maybe I'm giving the "plan" too much credit hahaha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you. Fortunately my dealership seemed happy to take my pre-order with only a minimal suggestion to look at the Volt along the way. However since then I happened to stop by another dealership (after I had my car) and had a quick chat with a sales guy there and he was talking about what a liability electric propulsion is (range, charging etc.) and he fell into sales pitch for a gas car.... All this while knowing that I just bought a Bolt, which was parked a few stalls down the lot. That combined with the multiple examples of the rest of GM Canada being clueless about EVs and the Bolt in particular, I don't see the Bolt being sold beyond the EV community spreading the word. Right now that word of mouth and savvy customers are resulting in more buyers than allocations in Canada.

It's debatable whether GM is making any money on this car by the time you factor up-front manufacturing losses, engineering costs etc. against sale price and carbon credits. They're making and distributing more cars than are needed for compliance purposes, but not enough to suggest they really want to sell the thing. I'm not sure what their goal is with it, test bed maybe? Technology and testing the EV market? A penis size contest with Tesla proving that they can make an EV if they wanted to? If they straight up wanted to shift more cars, they could very easily do that by exporting more of them. There's some master plan in action that we don't have all the information about. Then again, maybe I'm giving the "plan" too much credit hahaha.
Like I honestly said to her - take my credit card right now on the phone. I will give you the $2k deposit. Crickets ...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

Looking for an EV. It's basically a Bolt, Model 3 or the new Nissan. I was going to go with the Bolt but when I checked in around February - I was told a September delivery so I decided to wait to see what the Tesla was gonna be. Now that they are saying maybe late 2018 deliveries for the Tesla - I've turned my attention back to the Bolt or possibly the new Leaf. Just called a dealership here in Toronto and they are saying April 2018 for a Bolt!

Try Royfoss Woodbridge and ask for John Mansfield. I ordered my 2018 Bolt at the end of June and I was told it should be built in December and most likely delivered in January. I gave them 1K deposit. John M is very knowledgeable in EV's and he never tried to sell me a different car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try Royfoss Woodbridge and ask for John Mansfield. I ordered my 2018 Bolt at the end of June and I was told it should be built in December and most likely delivered in January. I gave them 1K deposit. John M is very knowledgeable in EV's and he never tried to sell me a different car.
Thanks - I got a call back and will be making a refundable deposit today!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happy to hear. Did you get a delivery estimate?
Nope - the salesperson I got wasn't that knowledgeable. She's just relaying info. In any case - it puts me in line just as my reservation with Tesla. Will see how it plays out. Right now, I don't expect to hear anything from her until December at the earliest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts