Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any custom pids for the Bolt? I tried to hook my Bolt up to Torque pro, but the Volt's pids don't really work....HV battery SOC remaining and 12V battery voltage are the only ones of consequence that work. I would like the actual SOC and HV battery temp pids if possible??

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are you uncomfortable with the dash instrumentation, or just need something with higher precision or actual units?

I have had three production electric vehicles: 1997 Honda EVPlus (6 years), 2011 Nissan Leaf (5.5 years so far), 2017 Chevrolet Bolt (2 weeks so far). The Leaf had the worst instrumentation of the three, the Bolt the best.

The trend bars on the left extending above or below the middle miles remaining number are wonderful. If I keep from extending above or below that line, the miles remaining number drops one mile for each odometer mile.

The energy app on the center console provides a lot of information that also seems accurate.

There is nothing, as far as I can tell, that provides individual cell statistics. For me, that isn't needed given the apparent accuracy and consistency of the other instrumentation and the fact that the battery management electronics works by keeping the cells equal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm trying to figure out why my DCFC sessions are so slow. Thinking it's due to battery pack temperatures, but I need to know them to confirm if that is indeed the issue.
I'm wondering if it is just the charging stations you are using. Some DCFC are only rated to charge at 25k while others are 50kW or higher. I've found that you can sometimes find that information on PlugShare.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying to figure out why my DCFC sessions are so slow. Thinking it's due to battery pack temperatures, but I need to know them to confirm if that is indeed the issue.
I'm wondering if it is just the charging stations you are using. Some DCFC are only rated to charge at 25k while others are 50kW or higher. I've found that you can sometimes find that information on PlugShare.
All 3 I have used are 500v, 120-125 amp stations. 3 different manufacturers too.

I think the pack temperature is limiting charging speed at first, but I'd like to confirm that with readings.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Anyone know of any custom pids for the Bolt? I tried to hook my Bolt up to Torque pro, but the Volt's pids don't really work....HV battery SOC remaining and 12V battery voltage are the only ones of consequence that work. I would like the actual SOC and HV battery temp pids if possible??
Where can I get a list of the PIDs that do work? Are any of them based off of the Volt's PIDs?

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, here is the Volt's PID list. I found that it DOES seem to work with the Bolt too.
Thanks for posting these. I imported the sheet into my Torque Pro, and it works great. A few extras that are Volt specific, but they don't cause any problems.

·
Registered
739 Posts
LElink/EngineLink HD - Volt PIDs

I find that the Volt PIDs do seem to work for some things, but I have not gone through them all yet. The ones I use are as follows: SOC (usable), HV Volts, Bat heat, HV battery Temp, Charger AC current, Charger AC Voltage, Charger HV Current, Charger HV Voltage.

I am using LELink, from which a log file can be obtained, although there are so many data that significant manipulation in a spreadsheet is required.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Does anyone know of any good software for iOS, or Mac, etc, that can obtain and process data from an Diagnostic Interface, OBD II device? I have tried EngineLink HD, and something called Torque ... Pro, which does not work.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Torque Pro does work, you just need the proper configuration, which is the list of PIDs which was discussed earlier in this thread. I don't know that we have an update on full code list that works for everything yet though.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Ok, here is the Volt's PID list. I found that it DOES seem to work with the Bolt too.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvK9F6VeA7dvdFUwSjBzR2FQM1BJTWZoLW43ZFdoTFE#gid=0

Some of the displays I set up. There are a lot more to choose from.

I let the Bolt charge overnight on my L2 station. Was still plugged in when I took these screenshots. Ambient temp was 20F.
I started using Torque Pro with my Ampera E (after 4 years extensive experience with Torque Pro icw my7 Outlander PHEV). It was rather easy to see SOC, AC charger details and a lot more. When I switch off the car I left the adapter where it was. From my home, I could still see the AC Charger details. But SOC (and other params) was no longer available / would not be updated. To my surprise, SOC was updated in torque Pro as soon as I retrieved the vehicle details via OnStar. Thought that was interesting.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I started using Torque Pro with my Ampera E (after 4 years extensive experience with Torque Pro icw my7 Outlander PHEV). It was rather easy to see SOC, AC charger details and a lot more. When I switch off the car I left the adapter where it was. From my home, I could still see the AC Charger details. But SOC (and other params) was no longer available / would not be updated. To my surprise, SOC was updated in torque Pro as soon as I retrieved the vehicle details via OnStar. Thought that was interesting.
The high voltage battery is normally disconnected when the car is turned off, unless the onboard vehicle control system detects some particular situation that requires it (such as topping off the 12V battery). So my guess is the car doesn't "guess" at the SOC when the HV battery is offline.

If that's true, and if the SOC is reported for an OnStar query, that suggests that the car will bring the HV battery online in order to measure it. I wonder if that might help to explain why the OnStar app takes so bleeping long to do anything.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The high voltage battery is normally disconnected when the car is turned off, unless the onboard vehicle control system detects some particular situation that requires it (such as topping off the 12V battery). So my guess is the car doesn't "guess" at the SOC when the HV battery is offline.

If that's true, and if the SOC is reported for an OnStar query, that suggests that the car will bring the HV battery online in order to measure it. I wonder if that might help to explain why the OnStar app takes so bleeping long to do anything.
That totally makes sense. But it doesn't make sense to me that the HV battery would be offline while being charged via the OnBoard AC charger. And it was charging at that time. ;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
I can't seem to get battery temp to work. I get traction battery and 12-volt battery volts, SOC, etc., and I can get GPS altitude and all that other stuff, but temp just shows a blank gauge. Are you guys using the exact PIDs from the Volt spreadsheet?
Using Torque Pro and a BAFX OBDII bluetooth device.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I can't seem to get battery temp to work. I get traction battery and 12-volt battery volts, SOC, etc., and I can get GPS altitude and all that other stuff, but temp just shows a blank gauge. Are you guys using the exact PIDs from the Volt spreadsheet?
Using Torque Pro and a BAFX OBDII bluetooth device.
Did you properly import the Volt pids? Perhaps you still need to add them even if you uploaded the excel file with the pids.

Watch this video, and the last step where you add a predefined set, you should be able to pick the Volt pid list (whatever you named it) and upload them. Then you should be g2g.

·
Registered
499 Posts
OK, I had just loaded the individual PID lines.
How to I get Torque Pro to recognize the
spreadsheet?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
OK, I had just loaded the individual PID lines.
How to I get Torque Pro to recognize the
spreadsheet?
I placed my Prius .csv file in the .torque/extendedpids file location on my Android. I have the .torque location on both the internal memory and SD card, and I don't remember which is the valid location.

Then in the top right of the "Manage custom ODB2 PIDs" there is 3 vertical dots you press.

Next touch "Add predefined set"

You should see the custom PID set listed if you placed the .csv file in the proper folder.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts