Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the infocenter gives me total KWh consumed since the last charge, but it would be useful for monthly (weekly, yearly) total consumption to be available. When I read my electric bill, I would like to be able to figure what portion is the Bolt per month without having to manually keep notes every time I plug it in.

Is this ability already there and I just don't know how to access it?

Thanx

·
Registered
782 Posts
I know the infocenter gives me total KWh consumed since the last charge, but it would be useful for monthly (weekly, yearly) total consumption to be available. When I read my electric bill, I would like to be able to figure what portion is the Bolt per month without having to manually keep notes every time I plug it in.

Is this ability already there and I just don't know how to access it?

Thanx
Recommend effergy a device that can monitor you ev charging circuit - or if you have a smart meter you can buy a device from amazon from rain forest that will monitor your meter and from that you can get your hourly kWh - which if you are charging after 11 pm will pretty much just be the car...

But nothing in chevy software will tell you kWh for a time period that I'm award of.

·
Registered
782 Posts
effergy energy monitor - you can place the monitors on your EV charging circuit - and the accumulated total will be just the power used by that circuit…

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Efergy-ELITE-TPM-NA-True-Power-Meter/dp/B00GR2XJMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498512611&sr=8-1&keywords=efergy[/ame]

if you have a smart meter - you can "pair" this monitor with your smart meter and monitor your home's power usage via the Web or an app on your phone - it breaks down daily/weekly/hourly demand - both instant (how many watts am I using right now?) and consumption (how many kWh's did I consume yesterday?)

https://rainforestautomation.com/rfa-z114-eagle-200/

·
Registered
782 Posts
the effergy has taught me that both for Tesla and the Bolt the actual kWh's consumed for charging is about 10% more than the actual kWh that "hit" the battery…

i.e. if I need 19 kwh to top off for charging I end up using about 21 kwh to charge the car.

·
Registered
782 Posts
it's also worth it to mention that in the 4 years I've monitored my EV charging usage - I've found very little variation in the amount of power consumed (kWh's) vs. the rate at which my car was charging…

i.e. charging at 16 amps results in about the same amount of kWh's consumed as charging at 48 amps…variation observed is less than 2% between different charge rates which I attribute to variation in the reported kWh's needed by the car's on board battery software…

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I can tell from the two "smart meter" references, they both are tied to either my revenue or my production meter. I have a solar array on the roof of my garage that feeds the revenue meter through the production meter. I think the smart meter options sound not plausible for my set up.

Is there a meter that sits between my NEMA plug-in and my 240V Clipper Creek Type II charger (not hard wired) ?

At the end of the day it would be extremely simple for Chevy to integrate a KWh over time routine in their infocenter software but not sure where to put request.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Theoretically the mychevrolet website has a place where it reports energy used in the last 30 days, or last 7 days but it never works for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts