Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked in the Cherry Creek Mall parking deck in Denver, CO for some shopping with my wife. Came out around 2:30 PM. It powered up normally, waited then put the car in reverse. Nothing but "condition not correct for shift". Then I cycled through and cleared the following errors; service battery charging system, service stabilitrak, service transmission, service parking brake. The battery stayed solid red, and the check engine, stabilitrak, abs and parking brake also stayed solid. The parking brake would not function. The car would not stay in neutral. Then after a few minutes it would go into power saving mode. Turned it off, got out, shut the doors waited and repeated several times with the same conditions but now the main center console will not come up as well. Contacted OnStar twice, then transferred to customer service, then transferred to Chevrolet road side assistance. Then told I would need to come back the next day to assist with removing my car from the parking deck because no service provider was available or I could leave the key in the car and the car unlocked if I did not want to come back. I asked why OnStar could not unlock the car tomorrow morning. Told they could not/would not.

When I had the 2012 Volt and I had issues I was connected with a dedicated Volt service line. OnStar did nothing but read back all the error codes after polling the diagnostics and could offer no help. I asked for the Bolt or EV service center and after awhile was disconnected. Was transferred on the second OnStar call to the regular customer service agent who knew absolutely nothing about the Bolt.

I was told to make my own arrangements at my own expense to get home since the tow truck could not get there till tomorrow morning.

Well no reason to go into my personal feelings about the severe disappointment in my brand new car (I have never in 30 years had a car towed to a dealer), the utter lack of knowledge regarding the Bolt and absolutely no concern for "customer" service.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Collimare, Sorry to hear of your issue, but don't give up hope the Bolt EV is a Great Car. Service folks are still learning so it can be frustrating. This is why Forums like this can help or at least you can Vent here;-)

It could something as simple as your 12V battery going bad, There has been a TSB on this and several folks have run into similar problems.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?285145-15-06-03-002-Original-Equipment-Battery-Spec-and-Approved-AC-Delco-Replacement-BOLT

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/178-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-issues-problems/18090-bolt-12-volt-system-troubles.html

What's the build date on your Bolt EV?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Agree with bbg523, but with an addendum. Your Bolt’s problems will be sorted out soon (and most likely by a new 12V battery under warranty expense). Chevy’s service problems — not so soon! The VOLT’s driver delight has been stunning. The VOLT’s dealership delight — not so wonderful (extra cost to be Volt certified, less service revenue). Now along comes the BOLT. More additional expense to buy diagnostic and repair equipment, more expense to train mechanics, LESS GM incentive (financial) help, less profit margin per sale, and even LESS service revenue. Is it any wonder so few Chevy Dealerships have chosen to sell/service the Bolt?! And those which do, have so little experience that they are of little help. I, too, hope for a quick and simple resolution and many miles of carefree driving. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update and what a total disaster:

Chevy Road Side Assistance called and told me that the towing service would be there in 35 to 50 minutes. I said the service was to call 30 minutes ahead and she said no they were on the way. I headed down and by the time I got there 30 minutes later the service called to say they were leaving and they would be there in 30 minutes. The towing service guy shows up with a boost box but no truck. I asked where is the truck? He said it is too big. I said that the whole reason I waited till this morning was because they were to send the low profile front wheel dolly truck. He said no just me.

The car is completely dead so he used the mechanical key to unlock the door and pop the hood. With the jump box in place he was finally able to get it in neutral but it would not start. So he and I pushed it across the parking deck to the down ramp. He pulled the truck around but could no get the car to go into neutral now. His jump box was dead. He tried to take the tow eye cover off and the decorative cover which is held on by double back tape just popped off but the main cover was still in place. He had no tools so I got a screw driver and carefully pried it out and installed the tow eye (left hand thread). Since he could not get the car in neutral he hammered small plastic skids under the wheels and proceeded to drag the car hopping and jumping across the lot and up the ramp as the skids kept popping out from under the wheels. Lots of very strange noises going on. He said he had to go by the tow lot to get another jump box and would deliver it to the dealer.

He was in and out of the car several times with grimy work clothes on and no protective plastic on the white/light blue seat which is now filthy. There is a big grease smudge and scratch on the front of the hood now.

I have a good service adviser at the dealership so I emailed him this afternoon and will see about the loner EV and how long it is going to take to diagnose and repair the Bolt first thing in the morning.

I am beyond disappointed in the car but more so at GM at this point. This is my 6th GM product since 2010 and represents well north of $250,000 and this is the service I get. It is time to replace my service truck (2015.5 Chevrolet Silverado HD Crew Cab Diesel fully loaded LTZ) and I am not sure it will be another GM product.

Counting on the service adviser and the dealer to make this right. No real faith in GM at this point.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Your experience certainly does justify your lowering opinion of GM. Sure, they're not 100% in control of the contracted tow but hopefully, they do right by you by going above and beyond to fix your Bolt and perhaps offset your subpar road-side experience.

·
Registered
121 Posts
On an ICE car, this volcano of error codes would be be categorized as electrical, which for a new vehicle usually points to a buggy fuse box. Hopefully your service manager will check that first.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No updates for the dealer. I did chat with them twice this morning and just sent them an email asking about the Bolt and EV Loaner.

My statement was a bit off. It is $256,000 worth of GM vehicles since 2007. In any other industry I would have a Platinum status with a direct hotline and all the other benefits. Here I am just another poor captive consumer at the end of a long line of other helpless consumers.

I did just get this email though!:

Dear HOWARD THOMAS,
A critical issue with the engine and transmission system in your 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV has been detected. Please service your vehicle immediately.
Please disregard this message if your vehicle is already in for service. Inaccurate notifications can be generated during service.
Please see your dealer for service.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I just got the worst phone call from the dealer that I can imagine. They got the key out of the night box, unlocked it, started it up and drove it around the building into the service bay. Then later the service manager gets in it and drives around the block a couple of times. They are running diagnostics.

The car was totally dead and inoperable yesterday morning. Door would not unlock from fob or door handle. I watched the tow truck driver take the cap off the handle and open the door with the hard key. Once inside he tried to operate the car and it was dead. With his jumper box attached it would not start. He was only able to get it to go into neutral. When he was ready to pull it up onto the flat bed ramp he could no longer get it to go into neutral and had to drag it onto the truck.

The dealer goes out, starts it and drives it like nothing ever happened. I cannot own/drive a car that intermittently for no apparent reason yet is going to leave me stranded or worse leaves me with the fear of it every time I drive it.

This is just stupidly unbelievable. I am absolutely livid at this point. They had better find a real, substantiated and documented problem that they can fix with actual replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Dealer should be able to pull stored codes. They should also load test your 12V battery. It sounds like the 12V battery had dropped below the minimum voltage level the car needed to operate. And by sitting overnight in the dealer’s lot had recovered enough to properly boot up and let the high voltage battery take over.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the tow truck driver had the jumper cables hooked up to the wrong points on the battery, and that’s why the car wouldn’t startup.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I have a couple of Toyota Prii, and a Highlander Hybrid, and if the 12V battery dies in any of them, the cars become a brick and will throw all sorts of erroneous errors. Charge the 12V battery back up and the cars all behave like normal again. I suspect that the Bolt is the same way and all that is wrong is a marginal 12V battery.

Sorry that you had a sucky OnStar experience and a sucky tow operator. Hopefully GM will make it right.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had the 12V get weak in my LEAF a few years back, and the whole dash lit up like an XMas tree with blinking lights. Disturbing if you didn't know what was going on. A few minutes on a 12V charger, and right as rain again. 'puters.

Since then I have often thought that a little booster in the glove box could be handy if there was a problem out and about. I had fallen on the negative side of this question given that the battery is an AGM....but after reading this thread...I might pull the trigger before I do any long roadtrips.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I don't have a booster IN my Bolt, but I have a cheap trickle charger from Home Depot in the garage. I hook it up overnight once a month (usually the last day, just to remember it). The light on the unit is flashing when I attach the clamps (indicating it IS charging), then becomes solid (fully charged) in 6-8 hours. I did this after Forum threads suggested that the EV's NOT asking for a big amperage jolt on startup would NOT "knock the crud off the plates", and that keeping the 12V in tip-top shape with a plug-in charger would extend its life and minimize the problems encountered when the 12V gets low. I may just be "spinning my wheels" with a $25 toy, but I feel more comfortable. So far, 8000 miles with just a flat tire as my only workaround.

A "Flash Comic Hero Lightning Bolt Decal for Car Window" ($3.99) placed on the small front side window does not obstruct the driver's view (not seen from driver's seat), points to the charging port on the side of the EV, and looks 'cool'!

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Keeping the car plugged in via the portable EVSE or an L2 EVSE will do the same as putting the battery on a trickle charger.

Portable jumpstarter to keep in the car is not necessarily a bad idea. Much like having a portable air compressor. Though I know for sure I’m more likely to need, and have used, the portable air compressor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Carrying a backup battery source in my new Bolt is not going to happen. Nor should it. If it fails GM needs to come and get it each and every time until they find and fix the real problem. To do otherwise is a disservice to you and other owners. There is no reason in this entire world that the Bolt cannot monitor the condition of the 12V battery and report if it is going bad. I am very confident it is a bigger issue somewhere in the very complex system that is actively preventing correct operation due to a bad connection, faulty sensor, software glitch etc. etc. and in my case shutting the entire vehicle down (absolutely no power whatsoever Sunday morning) until it apparently reset itself after being towed to the dealer (dealer states they simply unlocked, started it and drove it into the service bay).

I did get a new Volt loaner this morning. I am jealous that it has a nice lit charging compartment when you open the charge door. My 2013 did not and I have already been thinking of how to add some type of light to the Bolt charge compartment. A timed LED that comes on for a 5 seconds and goes off each time the door is opened.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Carrying a backup battery source in my new Bolt is not going to happen. Nor should it. If it fails GM needs to come and get it each and every time until they find and fix the real problem. To do otherwise is a disservice to you and other owners. There is no reason in this entire world that the Bolt cannot monitor the condition of the 12V battery and report if it is going bad. I am very confident it is a bigger issue somewhere in the very complex system that is actively preventing correct operation due to a bad connection, faulty sensor, software glitch etc. etc. and in my case shutting the entire vehicle down (absolutely no power whatsoever Sunday morning) until it apparently reset itself after being towed to the dealer (dealer states they simply unlocked, started it and drove it into the service bay).

I did get a new Volt loaner this morning. I am jealous that it has a nice lit charging compartment when you open the charge door. My 2013 did not and I have already been thinking of how to add some type of light to the Bolt charge compartment. A timed LED that comes on for a 5 seconds and goes off each time the door is opened.
It's not hard wired, and not nearly as slick as the LED ring, but there is room for a small LED puck light adhessed to the inside of the charging door. Mine is powered by 3 AAA batteries and has two brightness settings. I picked mine up in a two pack at Ace Hardware for about $7. I think I posted a pic of it on the FB Bolt group.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I agree with Collimare GM should fix the issue as this is the 3rd (?) one on here that we know about. Must be someone else going on.

Collimare When was your Bolt made and what state are you in. I am wondering if there are similar things happening that are connected with DOM and location.

I had my i-MiEV for 2-1/2 years and I NEVER had a battery issue. Then again I did't got all these whistles with the car either ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts