Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone in this forum has considered towing this recreational vehicle with their bolt? If not, I would greatly appreciate any feedback about this proposed idea (ie suitability etc).

Many thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Looks like a neat trailer. In fact I think I may have seen one of them in a driveway in my neighborhood.

There is a thread on this forum called "Hitches for non-bicycle use" describing what other Bolt owners (including myself) are towing with their Bolts.

I tow a boat with my Bolt and have found no problems thus far. I see that the SylvanSport Go weighs around 850 lbs, which I would guess is similar to or less than the weight of my boat & trailer. The main difference I note is that the SylvanGo Sport appears to have a fairly short wheelbase, while my boat trailer has an unusually long wheelbase for a small-boat trailer. I think a long wheel base will tow smoother than short, though honestly I'm not sure about that.

There's another thread here about installing a light controller for a trailer.

Given my experience pulling a boat, I would anticipate no problems pulling this trailer with your Bolt. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a neat trailer. In fact I think I may have seen one of them in a driveway in my neighborhood.

There is a thread on this forum called "Hitches for non-bicycle use" describing what other Bolt owners (including myself) are towing with their Bolts.

I tow a boat with my Bolt and have found no problems thus far. I see that the SylvanSport Go weighs around 850 lbs, which I would guess is similar to or less than the weight of my boat & trailer. The main difference I note is that the SylvanGo Sport appears to have a fairly short wheelbase, while my boat trailer has an unusually long wheelbase for a small-boat trailer. I think a long wheel base will tow smoother than short, though honestly I'm not sure about that.

There's another thread here about installing a light controller for a trailer.

Given my experience pulling a boat, I would anticipate no problems pulling this trailer with your Bolt. Good luck!
Many thanks for your thoughts and the links to other threads. It's greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just walked around my neighborhood and saw that is in fact the trailer that's in the driveway down the street. I always wondered what it is for, and now I know! In a bizarre gesture of internet camaraderie, I will make this offer: if you're seriously considering getting one, I could go ask my neighbor (who I've never met) if I can tow their trailer around for 10 minutes in my Bolt, to get some results for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are so kind. I'm not sure that will be necessary and I appreciate this gesture :). I'm waiting to hear from Sylvan as to whether a braking kit could be installed on the trailer. With all the discussions about voiding warranties etc, I'm trying to mitigate as many problems as I can upfront. If the trailer can't be fitted with brakes, then I may reconsider the unit. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It seems that it can be used as a utility trailer when not camping, which is a nice feature. Overall a very nice-looking tent trailer. I'm in the process of getting a Kompact Kamp tent trailer, originally designed for pulling behind a motorcycle but can be pulled with a car. It is considerably more basic that the Go but weighs just 260 lbs with a 25 lb hitch weight and has a smaller overall format. I'll have it in a couple of weeks and I'll post how well it tows and car efficiency when towing. Since the Go weighs > 3x as much and has a larger form, it will be somewhat less efficient. Depends on how far you want to travel and how fast you care about getting there, and whether there is enough charging sites available for the reduced range.

Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailers | Myerstown, PA | Kompact Kamp Trailers

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It seems that it can be used as a utility trailer when not camping, which is a nice feature. Overall a very nice-looking tent trailer. I'm in the process of getting a Kompact Kamp tent trailer, originally designed for pulling behind a motorcycle but can be pulled with a car. It is considerably more basic that the Go but weighs just 260 lbs with a 25 lb hitch weight and has a smaller overall format. I'll have it in a couple of weeks and I'll post how well it tows and car efficiency when towing. Since the Go weighs > 3x as much and has a larger form, it will be somewhat less efficient. Depends on how far you want to travel and how fast you care about getting there, and whether there is enough charging sites available for the reduced range.

I am sorry, but it looks like a utility trailer ($1000 or less) with a tent mounted on it (a few hundred dollars) for the low low price of $9,000!!! Just purchase an aluminum utility trailer and a tent and save yourself $7,000.

I looked into campers designed to be pulled behind a motorcycle... they tend to be light weight and cost less than $5,000

Keith

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sorry, but it looks like a utility trailer ($1000 or less) with a tent mounted on it (a few hundred dollars) for the low low price of $9,000!!! Just purchase an aluminum utility trailer and a tent and save yourself $7,000.

I looked into campers designed to be pulled behind a motorcycle... they tend to be light weight and cost less than $5,000

Keith
lol, you makes it seem so logical :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The Kompact does look appealing. I have two kids I want to drag along :).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Keith

I've been looking at motorcycle trailers since you folks have alerted them to me. I could purchase one in my own province and still something decent is well over $5000 Canadian. I think you folks in the US have the benefit of competition and more choices :).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Many people purchase trailers / campers / RV's and then realize they seldom if ever use them and put them on the for sale market... have you looked for a used good condition motorcycle trailer?

Keith

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Many people purchase trailers / campers / RV's and then realize they seldom if ever use them and put them on the for sale market...
Still have my 14' 1969 Shasta Trailer that I bought in 1991 for $1500. Doesn't cost me anything if it just sits there. Last time we took it out, I had to buy new tires for it.
Not mine, mines all original:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Many people purchase trailers / campers / RV's and then realize they seldom if ever use them and put them on the for sale market... have you looked for a used good condition motorcycle trailer?

Keith
Yup. It's a good idea to really think about how much you will actually use it and whether a nice tent wouldn't just as well suffice. We spent many weekends traveling and tenting and had a great time. For more extensive travel, a trailer can be nice as it provides a much more secure space. I remember one camp spot where some nasty weather occurred, and a tent trailer kind of got whipped around, while I was secure in a small trailer at the time. I don't know how much it would be to rent some camping trailers, but that might be a good way to go until you feel like you're spending too much on rental fees and buying makes more sense. Of course, if you're planning on towing with the Bolt, small and light is the key, and there isn't likely to be rentable trailers appropriate for a Bolt. Best is to go tent camping and move up only when frequency and convenience dictates. There are certainly many times when I would prefer not to be tenting but would be ok in a tent trailer. And, on a long trip, a tent trailer adds a lot of convenience and a bit of hassle from pulling a trailer. Perhaps just go tenting and get a hotel room if caught in nasty weather.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts