Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been towing my dirt bikes for a while now, honing in on range with my 2017 Bolt. I recently completed a buyback of my 2017 and bought a 2021. Until this year, I only dreamed of how I'd make my annual trek from Thousand Oaks to Bishop CA towing my motorcycle trailer. Well finally there now a few fast chargers along the way, so I decided I'd attempt the distance with my Bolt this year. I am super happy to have made 146 miles from Thousand Oaks to Ridgecrest with 50 miles to spare - while towing about 800lbs and some gear! This means one 40 minute charge at Brady's Market will get me to Bishop with plenty of miles to spare! I'm averaging 3.2 mi/kWh driving the speed limit with 45psi in the tires.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Cloud Car

I installed rear suspension airbags for this trip, and so far they smooth out the dips and bumps very nicely. They are inflated to only 15lbs. The max is 35lbs. When not towing, the seem to give me the stock feel at 5 lbs. I don't think its a good idea to run these with no air. I was concerned about how the bags are pressing against the springs...but not so much now after a couple hundred miles of test. They don't really move around in the coils. We will see how it goes, but so far so good!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Vehicle
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice setup! Where did you get the airbag kit? Was it difficult to install?
Thanks
Thanks! These are Air Lift 60909 bags. Installation was fairly easy for someone for instance; would change thier own oil back in the day ;). Hardest part was massaging the bag in place thru the widest opening in the coil after jacking up the rear a few inches to open up the coils more. Took me about 1-2 hours total.

·
Registered
587 Posts
When I ran air bags on my 68' Chevelle they said to jack up the car and then put in air. Seemed to work better. Not sure if that is still a rule?

I can't imagine much tongue weight on that to merit the cost but maybe. 800 lbs would be about 80 lbs on hitch or should be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I ran air bags on my 68' Chevelle they said to jack up the car and then put in air. Seemed to work better. Not sure if that is still a rule?

I can't imagine much tongue weight on that to merit the cost but maybe. 800 lbs would be about 80 lbs on hitch or should be.
I sometimes tow 2 bikes and 2 sets of gear. I noticed my 2017 rear suspension a bit mushy after several trips. These bags were only $70, so I think its well worth the more comfortable ride when loaded, the headlights staying in place, and I don't expect the springs to turn mushy in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts