Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
wouldn't it be great if I could tap into the 60 kWh propulsion battery? A modest 3-4 kW's could effectively replace a Fossil Fuel and noisy generator. At the very least, I would like a way to recharge the twelve volt battery with an ignition switched supply.
The obvious solution would be for the manufacturers to make their onboard chargers/inverters bidirectional. The problem of the auto industry, utilities, and governments working cooperatively has made this impossible to date. We can always hope. Several manufacturers claim they will have 120 v, and 240 volt outlets in their pickup trucks for running tools.

There is no simple/safe way to DIY tap directly into the traction pack with an inverter. There are relays inside the battery box which isolate the pack from the outgoing power cables when the car is powered down.

I think I recall somebody mentioning that one of the Korean EV makers does allow jumping the 12 volt from the traction battery. Anybody?

·
Registered
159 Posts
The problem still is here with the converter being able to supply 4 kW.
To get 4 kW power you need about about 350 A on 12 V system. I highly doubt it is capable of providing.
Large alternators put 200 A.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The problem still is here with the converter being able to supply 4 kW.
To get 4 kW power you need about about 350 A on 12 V system. I highly doubt it is capable of providing.
Large alternators put 200 A.
... would the 12 volt inverter recharge a 12 volt RV house battery?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, it would, but I doubt it has enough juice to supply more than 2 kW.

One could deduce if there is enough power in it - if AC is 12 V and power steering as well, you might be getting close to 4 kW.
Yet, prolonged load might be hard.
I am not sure, really.
I did read about 500e owner with I think 2 kW 12 V converter and it worked OK.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Yes, it would, but I doubt it has enough juice to supply more than 2 kW.

One could deduce if there is enough power in it - if AC is 12 V and power steering as well, you might be getting close to 4 kW.
The Bolt's onboard 12 volt charger/inverter puts out 1,600 watts maximum, if I recall correctly. Professor Kelley pointed out the 450 volt, 40 amp fuse for the onboard charger in the relay box at the front of the traction battery box.

Power steering is 12 VDC, but AC is 400 VDC. I assume the power steering could exceed 1,600 watts briefly, but that would be taken up by the 50 Ah, 520 amp max battery.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Bolt's onboard 12 volt charger/inverter puts out 1,600 watts maximum, if I recall correctly. Professor Kelley pointed out the 450 volt, 40 amp fuse for the onboard charger in the relay box at the front of the traction battery box.

Power steering is 12 VDC, but AC is 400 VDC. I assume the power steering could exceed 1,600 watts briefly, but that would be taken up by the 50 Ah, 520 amp max battery.
Exactly what I suspected.
AC would not really be 12 V as the power draw would be too drastic.
450 V at 40 A would make much more than 1.6 kW thought :)
Not that I am arguing, but 1600 W seems awfully little. Wipers, blower, condenser fan, rear defroster, heated seat, heated steering wheel, accessories, headlights: 80+60+120+100+80+80+150+150=820 W
Add brake pump, or ABS, steering... we are hitting the limit very quickly.
But that would be a perfect storm, rarely happening. And as you said - the battery would buffer it.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
450 V at 40 A would make much more than 1.6 kW thought :)

But that would be a perfect storm, rarely happening. And as you said - the battery would buffer it.
The traction battery never exceeds 400 volt at 100% charge, so the fuse's 450 volt rating is overcapacity. 400 volt x 40 amps is 1,600 watts

I once added up the amp rating of all the 12 volt fusses in our LT. It was about 280 amps if I recall, so possibly 2,700 watts if everything was pulling its 80% of fuse rating maximum at once.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The traction battery never exceeds 400 volt at 100% charge, so the fuse's 450 volt rating is overcapacity.
I know, I expect that. Each fuse and relay is made to work below the rating, at least at 80%.

400 volt x 40 amps is 1,600 watts
Sorry, I cannot agree on this one.
It is 16,000 W. No matter how I do it, I get back to same result.
4x4 is 16, add three 0s and it is 16 kW.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
45 Posts
Is this one of you guys? I saw this picture in PlugShare checking in at a EA site in MA not far from Boston , seems to have NJ plates. I’m very curious to know what rage were they getting with this set up, pretty insane.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts