1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
But with them aiming for a range of 186 miles, by 2020 that'll pale in comparison to pretty much anything out, especially the Bolt and Model 3. The only appeal I'll be able to see is if they're seriously under-priced in comparison

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think it was easy to see this coming since they were sort of the first ones to go hard in the Hybrid segment, EV is the next step, although they have stayed quiet about that idea up to now. Hard to not go that direction when the rest of the industry is investing billions into it. And it's not just automobiles.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
200 miles is the new minimum for electric cars, anything less than that won't be competitive on the market. Toyota should take their time and come out with a product with more mileage than simply throwing an EV into the market and hope someone will buy it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
200 miles is the new minimum for electric cars, anything less than that won't be competitive on the market. Toyota should take their time and come out with a product with more mileage than simply throwing an EV into the market and hope someone will buy it.
Oh, someone will buy it! There are so many Toyota fanboys (and fangirls) that will buy ANYTHING with wheels that Toyota sells.;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
In some ways I am disappointed. It is good to have competing technologies.

I have to say the fuel cost is very low for fuel cell cars. Before anyone comes back saying electricity is free with solar panels, I'll go along with it as soon as they start giving away solar panels and the installation. It's about half of what an electric car would cost to run using Socal Edison electricity.

Fuel Cell Vehicle Comparison Chart

Michael

·
Registered
172 Posts
Before anyone comes back saying electricity is free with solar panels, I'll go along with it as soon as they start giving away solar panels and the installation. It's about half of what an electric car would cost to run using Socal Edison electricity.
Good news: if you don't have a slate roof, you can get free solar panels, by having a solar provider install them on your roof. You don't really own them, but it's the same result: virtually free solar power.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good news: if you don't have a slate roof, you can get free solar panels, by having a solar provider install them on your roof. You don't really own them, but it's the same result: virtually free solar power.
Slate root? Do you mean tile roof?

Regardless, do you have a link to this program where you get free solar panels and free electricity? I've heard of discounted electricity, but not free.

Michael

·
Registered
172 Posts
Slate root? Do you mean tile roof?

Regardless, do you have a link to this program where you get free solar panels and free electricity? I've heard of discounted electricity, but not free.

Michael
I haven't looked that far into it because of our slate (yes, actual slate) roof, but was seeing offers in which the average electric bill was about $25 a month. I'm sure that people here are more familiar with these programs. You let the company generate and sell the power from your home, and pay a small charge for your own use of it.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I would be very interested in findinga Co that does this - I have 'prime' roof (full southern exposure, NO shade) but moderate-to-little electrical consumption. I'd love to 'rent' out my roof space to offset my electrical bill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts