Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed over to winter tires and wheels about a month ago but haven't yet been able to reset the TPMS. The wheels and TPMS I bought are from 1010tires.com and supposedly work on the Bolt but haven't had much luck resetting them following the procedure in the manual and using a TPMS relearn tool I bought on Amazon. I can get the car into it's relearn mode but can't get the first tire to reset. Anyone with better luck? I don't want to take the car to the dealership as they want $25 every time they do a TPMS reset, which should take all of two minutes. For now I'm just driving around with the fault light on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Are you putting the tool right next to the Stem/Sensor at the tire? Some times you need it really close to read it. Once it does read the TPMS the horn should beep once and you move to the next tire.

Rotation is driver front, passenger front, passenger rear and driver rear, then the horn should beep twice to confirm the reset is done.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
WhooHoo! I dodged the bullet which got you.

Go to a local tire store and explain WIGO. Completely by chance, I avoided your problem. I bought new Nokian R2 winter tires, 16" Cruze steel wheels and Chicom TPMS from eBay. Since I have a TPMS relearn tool, I almost mounted everything myself, but decided I wanted them balanced, so took everything to the local TireRama. Very professional staff took one look at the new TPMS in the boxes and said, "These must be activated before they're installed or they won't work." He hit them with his more elaborate relearn machine, got a confirmation readout they worked, installed everything, relearned the car to each wheel and good to go. If I'd mounted them myself, they wouldn't be working and I'd be wasting time cussin' the worthless eBay parts.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
After rotating my tires for $14, my Nissan dealer "retaught" my tire's TPMS for free! (And could not even find the Bolt in the model list. He had to enter it as a "Chevy Spark" and it did them correctly on the first try.) For this cost, I will let them do this every 7500 miles!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yea, I've always try to stick with OEM TPMS and no activation required. Just run the relearn procedure and good to go.
The TPMS senors I used where the GM 13598772 that I did find on Ebay..:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you putting the tool right next to the Stem/Sensor at the tire? Some times you need it really close to read it. Once it does read the TPMS the horn should beep once and you move to the next tire.

Rotation is driver front, passenger front, passenger rear and driver rear, then the horn should beep twice to confirm the reset is done.
I did put the tool right next to the stem and tried several times but never got past the front left tire which would be first in the order. I'll change the battery in the tool and try again even though I was getting a good signal light and the low batt light was off. I've had good results with after market TPMS on my other EVs which just learned the TPMS so I didn't think these would be an issue with the Bolt. I'll do some troubleshooting tomorrow with the summer tires (with original TPMS) next to the car and see if they get detected by the car. If that works I'll know its the sensors. If it doesn't then the issue is with my relearn tool.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
As I said before, some have to be programmed prior to install. From the VDO website; they make TPMS

Don’t confuse TPMS relearn with sensor programming.
Servicing TPMS equipped vehicles profitably can be a challenge without the knowledge, the right parts and the right tools. In spite of all the training programs and technical articles on the subject, there is still a lot of misunderstanding about TPMS, and the confusion between vehicle relearn and sensor programming tops the list.

Vehicle relearn and sensor programming are completely different procedures.

The issue stems from the availability of aftermarket TPMS sensors that come as “programmable”, “universal” or “cloneable” sensor units. These sensors must be programmed with the proper protocol/application information for the vehicle before they can be installed in the tire, and then must be relearned to the vehicle. Unfortunately, some shops overlook the necessary relearn step mistakenly believing the sensor programming did the trick. This misconception can lead to service comebacks and customer complaints.
jack vines

·
Registered
624 Posts
has anyone tried america's tire company? they do rotations for free, i'm curious if they re-learn the TPMS positions as well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was able to complete the TPMS relearn process after a lot of tries. I waved the TPMS leaning tool around the sidewall, where the valve is, changed the orientation of the tool, flipped the tool around, and after a little wiggling around I was able to get each wheel to pick up the signal. It was a bit of a pain but I got it to work, keep trying!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I don't want to take the car to the dealership as they want $25 every time they do a TPMS reset, which should take all of two minutes. For now I'm just driving around with the fault light on.
For my Bolt EV, the first two service visits were free, so they did my first tire rotation and reset. It would be nice to hear someone's experience with this though. I only have one free tire rotation left!~

·
Registered
9 Posts
Weird, I thought we could just rotate tires with tpms no problem.

For my 2006 Acura tl, I rotated swapped out winter tires (I bought sensors for them) and never had to relearn anything, just drive a bit and the car picked up the sensors.

I can't simply do that with the Bolt? I have 4 new Michelin xi3, ready to go, need to decide on wheels and make sure I understand what I need for tpms!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I can't simply do that with the Bolt? I have 4 new Michelin xi3, ready to go, need to decide on wheels and make sure I understand what I need for tpms!
Make sure you get valve stems for the wheels that include the TPMS sensors. If you don't get them from GM then you may need a special tool to "configure" them for use with the car.

Once you get the tires installed, you'll need a TPMS relearn tool, they're pretty cheap and are available from Amazon and other online stores. The procedure to use the tool and have the car recognize the new sensors is pretty simple - here are the instructions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I changed over to winter tires and wheels about a month ago but haven't yet been able to reset the TPMS. The wheels and TPMS I bought are from 1010tires.com and supposedly work on the Bolt but haven't had much luck resetting them following the procedure in the manual and using a TPMS relearn tool I bought on Amazon. I can get the car into it's relearn mode but can't get the first tire to reset. Anyone with better luck? I don't want to take the car to the dealership as they want $25 every time they do a TPMS reset, which should take all of two minutes. For now I'm just driving around with the fault light on.
Yes, I have successfully reset the TPMS sensors myself using a relearn tool I purchased from Amazon. I bought a new set of rims and winter tires from Costco and had them install them using new TPMS sensors I purchased on eBay. It was too early in the season to put the winter wheels on the car, so I stored them for a couple months. When it was time to switch over, I did it myself. I had no trouble resetting the sensors using the relearning tool, although during my first attempt on the front driver's side I did not hold the tool close enough to the valve stem. Once I figured that out it was smooth sailing. I don't know if the Costco installer had to program the sensors prior to installation as has been suggested in a previous post. If this is a critical step that your installer has not completed, then this might explain the problem you're having.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I don't know if the Costco installer had to program the sensors prior to installation as has been suggested in a previous post. If this is a critical step that your installer has not completed, then this might explain the problem you're having.
I'd done quite a bit of reading on TPMS, had the relearn tool, but had never come across the need to hit new TPMS prior to installation. The TireRama manager seemed quite knowledgeable and did it as SOP. I may have learned something there. What I didn't confirm is will the ChiCom relearn tool do this procedure?

jack vines

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
You can literally purchase new or used GM TPMS sensors off ebay, install them in your rim, mount the rim and start the inclusion/re-learn procedure from the DIC and use the re-learn tool to go around the car to mate them to the Bolt.

The sensors don't have to be "prepped", "pre-scanned", etc... just install them right out of their factory package and start the inclusion/re-learn procedure.

It's super simple and easy to do.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I doubt Tire Rack uses oem, but they must pre-program them to the correct make if they don't. A re-learn was all that was required on the new winter tires to set the positions. Any shop that mounts/balances the tires for you will set a new TPMS to "Chevy" if you mention it. The main problem with Tire Rack is the accessories are where they add the steep markup - but they are convenient. The re-learn tool I have is an ATEQ VT5, it worked without issue for setting up my winter set properly.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Probably better off getting a full set of four genuine GM TPMS sensors for under $60 on ebay... vs. aftermarket sensors on tire rack.
Just include them with the re-learn tool and you're done (cause they're factory set for GM vehicles).

Easy... peasy!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Probably better off getting a full set of four genuine GM TPMS sensors for under $60 on ebay... vs. aftermarket sensors on tire rack.
Just include them with the re-learn tool and you're done (cause they're factory set for GM vehicles).

Easy... peasy!
How easy are these to install on mounted tires? Do you need a bead breaker and a high volume air source to re-seat the tire? I went with the pre-installed because while I have shop air, I didn't feel like partially dismounting and remounting the tire. And if you have to roll the bead off one side to get enough clearance, that would be even more of a pain, plus the potential to alter the balance once the tire is free from the wheel. I figured you could probably shoehorn it in just breaking the bead on one side; but I didn't want to try it myself! :eek:

·
Registered
390 Posts
As I said before, some have to be programmed prior to install. From the VDO website; they make TPMS

jack vines
So, is there something like a "relearn tool" or just a "programming tool"? I mean do you need a tool every time you swap from summer to winter wheels or vice versa? Or does the car detect the different set of sensors automatically?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts