Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In Washington, going over certain passes sometimes requires snow chains or equivalent ("alternative traction devices") in the winter to be equipped. This could put you in a position where you can cross a pass one way, but weather conditions prevent you from returning.

Unfortunately, the manual has this to say about snow chains:
Warning: Do not use tire chains. There is not enough clearance. Tire chains used on a vehicle without the proper amount of clearance can cause damage to the brakes, suspension, or other vehicle parts. The area damaged by the tire chains could cause loss of control and a crash.
Washington state helpfully has a list of traction devices that they approve in place of snow chains: http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/images/traction/alt_traction_device.pdf

Of those on the list, the Autosock, Grip Tex and SOS Grip look the least likely to cause any kind of damage and look pretty easy to use. I'm ordering a Size 4 SOS Grip (008404) for the OEM tires from Amazon.fr for about $75 shipped since that seems to be the cheapest option.

Does anyone else have any experience with these products?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Z-chain is interesting if there is enough clearance.

I’m rarely going to drive in snow, but I’d like to be able to cross the pass per the rules in Washington, and you can’t really avoid chains unless unless you have an AWD/4WD vehicle, even with snow tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
have you looked in to "snow socks"/"tire socks"? I have a set for my Volt. Should probably also get some or our Bolt. I haven't had to use them yet so I don't know how well they hold up, but in theory they are reusable. Its literally a layer of cloth so there's no way it would be too thick and interfere with clearance.

having not used mine yet, I cant speak to just how reusable they are, though they claim to be. But its nice to know I have them in my car for an emergency. I'm a Washingtonian as well. It doesn't snow much, but when it does you can be screwed pretty quick if youre not prepared.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you looked in to "snow socks"/"tire socks"? I have a set for my Volt. Should probably also get some or our Bolt. I haven't had to use them yet so I don't know how well they hold up, but in theory they are reusable. Its literally a layer of cloth so there's no way it would be too thick and interfere with clearance.
I ordered some from France, but Amazon.fr is taking it's sweet time to send them. I should probably consider some made domestically.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
billatq
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing