Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody want to trade their black 'grill' for my gray 'grill'?

We have a black BEV and it came with the gray grill. I'm thinking black would look better.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Cool. Let me take a look at what's involved with removing those inserts then we'll schedule a meet up.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would do that same trade if anyone near Virgina has a black grill one and wants a grey one. I also have the black car with the gray grill.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
You guys run front plates in WA right? No problem then, plate holders stay in place during the swap and go with the "grilles" since we'll both need one anyway.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Just so you know that the grilles will probably be perforated.
BTW, if you know where the release tabs are, replacing the grill is a 5-minute job. I saw a tech do it when I got the black bowtie installed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Once you guys have made the swap, could you post some pictures? I have the black car, and might be interested in making a swap - though with such limited availability in Canada, I don't think there would be too many takers. Might need to order the part through the dealer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys run front plates in WA right? No problem then, plate holders stay in place during the swap and go with the "grilles" since we'll both need one anyway.
Yeah we have front plates here. Did you have a chance to look at the fastening system yet? I haven't looked...

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Yeah we have front plates here. Did you have a chance to look at the fastening system yet? I haven't looked...
No I haven't yet. I spent the weekend working on the seat swap project, but a post a few rows up this thread says it's a quick job to release the grille inserts (at least the top one anyway) with some easily accessible clips. I'm hoping that will be the case, though from what I remember getting to them might take a little more work as the bottom of the bumper cover is shrouded off for aero purposes and I think the top is too. I'll see if I can poke around a bit this evening, but I might not get to it until the weekend. I do want to see this swap happen so I'll update as soon as I can find a few minutes to check it out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good! We'll make the swap happen one way or another! ;-)

I would've looked but I've been super busy too... and I'm out of town this weekend, in Yakima... too bad it's not up north.

·
Banned
350 Posts
The tech removed the cover plate at the top inside of the grille to get at the clips, but not the lower fascia.
Nice guy at Carr Auto Body did the job for me - no charge.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Takes some pictures of those clip locations for us please! I'm sure lots of people would love that. BTW, I might be into swapping my grey for black with license plate bracket with somebody.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Bad news people, the grill swap is going to take more than 30min at a Starbucks parking lot to accomplish. Today I dug into mine and discovered that in order to pull the lower grill insert the whole bumper fascia is going to have to come off. I haven't completely scrapped the idea but I'm going to have to book a good day to disassemble and take some notes so that I could do it away from home (and faster).

The problem is that the inserts have to come off the inside of the bumper cover, rather than the outside as you would expect. The top one can be rotated and maneuvered out without too much trouble (still takes a bit of work), but the bottom one isn't going to happen. Even if you could access all the clips (which you can't), there's a foam bumper pad right down the middle of it that prevents it moving backward to come off the clips.

Here are a few pics if anyone needs to access the top portion:

There are 4 push-pin clips, two Torx (T15) screws, and four hidden clips securing the shroud (fasteners already removed in this photo)

4 clips along the front edge, just work the shroud straight upward and they will release

Shroud removed

To remove the top grill, first the black plastic trim ring needs to be removed by releasing a series of clips around the perimiter (black tabs as well as a few traditional clips at the ends), then the grille can be released from the blue tabs and rotated off. I suggest lifting the edges of the grill off the alignment pins to allow easier access to the end clips securing the black trim ring. Also there is an electrical connector that is clipped into a tang on the grill insert.

And here is the car with the top grill removed

Lastly, here are the components that were removed

·
Banned
350 Posts
Having just washed my Black Bolt, the gold flakes in the paint are quite apparent. I'm just wondering how the black plastic grille will look against the paint. I'll look forward to seeing pictures.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I hate the fake black grille. The concept car had no grille.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/future_tense/2015/01/12/detroit_auto_show_2015_electric_chevy_bolt_concept_car_not_a_tesla_killer/461427038-general-motors-reveals-the-new-chevrolet-bolt-concept.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg

Even god Elon was afraid to build his first in-house production car without one, so I can't be too hard on stodgy GM. Frankly, I don't get it. There have been many cars without a big angry mouth. The 1962 Studebaker Avanti was a great example.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Studebaker/63-Studebaker-Avanti-white-DV-11-GC_01.jpg

I had our local custom paint shop pull it, and paint it in factory white. They did a great job. They primed it with an undercoat for plastics, and put an additive called Flex in the finish coat to prevent chipping. It looks absolutely OEM. The whole thing took less than a day and a half, and cost us $238. They took a bunch of shots of the disassembly process for me. I tried uploading them, but I have not done enough posts for that privilege. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hate the fake black grille. The concept car had no grille. Even god Elon was afraid to build his first in-house production car without one, so I can't be too hard on stodgy GM. Frankly, I don't get it. There have been many cars without a big angry mouth. The 1962 Studebaker Avanti was a great example. I had our local custom paint shop pull it, and paint it in factory white. They did a great job. They primed it with an undercoat for plastics, and put an additive called Flex in the finish coat to prevent chipping. It looks absolutely OEM. They took a bunch of shots of the disassembly process for me. I tried uploading them, but I have not done enough posts for that privilege. :)
Please post pics when you can! The more pics the better. I'm going to take mine off and vinyl wrap it.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
I hate the fake black grille. The concept car had no grille. Even god Elon was afraid to build his first in-house production car without one, so I can't be too hard on stodgy GM. Frankly, I don't get it. There have been many cars without a big angry mouth. The 1962 Studebaker Avanti was a great example. I had our local custom paint shop pull it, and paint it in factory white. They did a great job. They primed it with an undercoat for plastics, and put an additive called Flex in the finish coat to prevent chipping. It looks absolutely OEM. The whole thing took less than a day and a half, and cost us $238. They took a bunch of shots of the disassembly process for me. I tried uploading them, but I have not done enough posts for that privilege. :)
100% agree, that's why I'm trying to swap my black for grey, at least that way it will be something more of a decorative piece than a fake grill.

If you want to PM me I can make arrangements to get your photos up. I'd love to see the nose of the Bolt painted body color.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts