Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally at the point where I placed a factory order. The dealer required a $1000 deposit. Which is refundable up until the status is at the build portion. And I'd really like to figure this out before my deposit is locked in. My question is for anyone who have made it past this point. At what point do I figure out my purchasing power (credit from my bolt) or at least a straight Foward answer on how it's calculated for my particular case. I have an idea in my state it is total vehicle price of bolt minus usage fee minus remaining loan balance. However I have yet to get the repurchase department to confirm this. I was hoping I would trade into a vehicle that would pay off my loan and I would not have to come out of pocket too much. I ended up ordering a fully loaded 2022 Trailblazer RS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's kina like shoot first ask questions later. I was told by my repurchase coordinator that I have to have an order number before I can move forward and get the numbers. However what if I under valued my purchasing credit and they end up not doing a mileage deduction. What if they tell me we don't pay off your existing loan and I was supposed to pick something at a higher msrp. Yes I can always say I want to change to a different Vin or order but now I start over waiting for another car to be built.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV LT
201 Posts
I'm sorry you found a dealer willing do host the swap, but wanted $1,000 up front. I know it's refundable, but still.. I walked in to my local Chevy dealer last week, not the one where I bought the car, and the GM said, "Sure, we'll do it. No deposit required". I placed an order for a Premier EUV, which will be built some time after they resume production at the Orion plant.

In an email excahnge with my repurchase coordinator last week, she wrote "we can’t do anything till you meet with the dealer and have the order, or order and vin of the vehicle. The MSRP swap is like a new to new swap. Any difference from the old vehicle to the new vehicle is what you’d have to pay, along with a trade usage charge."

Since the new Premier EUV has a lower MSRP than my 2020 Bolt EV, and my usage fee based on Texas lemon law is fairly low, I should be out of pocket only a couple of hundred dollars. I do not have a loan on my car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's kina like shoot first ask questions later. I was told by my repurchase coordinator that I have to have an order number before I can move forward and get the numbers. However what if I under valued my purchasing credit and they end up not doing a mileage deduction. What if they tell me we don't pay off your existing loan and I was supposed to pick something at a higher msrp. Yes I can always say I want to change to a different Vin or order but now I start over waiting for another car to be built.
Once you have the dealer order number, your repurchase rep can then follow it in GMs systems, and when it will go into production. Once it provides an invoice/VIN, then they can have the team produce the actual financial paperwork. You should be able to ballpark the numbers based on the Bolt MSRP and Trailblazer number. From what i've seen, if you own your vehicle and the new vehicle MSRP is lower, you lose the difference -- higher and you will need to pay the difference. If you still have a loan and you have a new vehicle with a lower MSRP, then they will take the credit and apply to the loan. It also seems like every deal is slightly different and varies by state lemon law, so YMMV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry you found a dealer willing do host the swap, but wanted $1,000 up front. I know it's refundable, but still.. I went to my local Chevy dealer, not the one where I bought the car, and the GM said, "Sure, we'll do it. No deposit required". I placed an order for a Premier EUV, which will be built some time after they resume production at the Orion plant.

In an email excahnge with my repurchase coordinator last week, she wrote "we can’t do anything till you meet with the dealer and have the order, or order and vin of the vehicle. The MSRP swap is like a new to new swap. Any difference from the old vehicle to the new vehicle is what you’d have to pay, along with a trade usage charge."

Since the new Premier EUV has a lower MSRP than my 2020 Bolt EV, and my usage fee based on Texas lemon law is fairly low, I should be out of pocket only a couple of hundred dollars. I do not have a loan on my car.
Funny I'm in Texas too. Houston to be exact. I just put the order in. I didn't agree with it but what other choice did I have. I took the total price from my original window sticker subtracted my loan balance and used the texas lemon law calculator to calculate the mileage fee and I came close to a fully loaded 2022 Trailblazer RS. The only reason I did an order was it was recommended by my repurchase coordinator.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
234 Posts
They told me the same about the order number.
What if? You say no if you don’t like the final deal. Driving the Bolt till it gets settled

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One fellow on the other thread of this topic got 15k taken off his existing loan. What a deal
I'll have close to $8k left on mine when it's all said and done. My MSRP on the bolt was close to $39,300 and my usage fee was around $3, 231. The order I priced out was $31,150. So I'll have to come out of pocket $3,081 in theory. Leaving me with a new car and no loan.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
185 Posts
Once you have the dealer order number, your repurchase rep can then follow it in GMs systems, and when it will go into production. Once it provides an invoice/VIN, then they can have the team produce the actual financial paperwork. You should be able to ballpark the numbers based on the Bolt MSRP and Trailblazer number. From what i've seen, if you own your vehicle and the new vehicle MSRP is lower, you lose the difference -- higher and you will need to pay the difference. If you still have a loan and you have a new vehicle with a lower MSRP, then they will take the credit and apply to the loan. It also seems like every deal is slightly different and varies by state lemon law, so YMMV.
Similar to my offer, but shows that everybody's is different.
I was told from the start to order my swap replacement and I did. Was told that I had the original MSRP of my car to work with, so.. 40k, but I only payed 28k.
Later in the path I was told that when my time comes (likely at least another month) that if my new 22 EV wasn't built they (the repurchase team) would need the VIN of my build or any new VIN that was close to my build for a number for them to work with till both happens: 1, my build is assigned a VIN or 2, they can use the "fake/temp" VIN I give them to continue with my case and settle/ straighten it out once my build is real.
I have had my new car order# from the start but the last GM rep said that that wasn't enough, had to have a VIN for the team to proceed . No prob, found a "fake/temp" VIN to give them for a similar priced Bolt EV if my car is not ready when they call for it.
I truely find it amazing that the GM folks can't just track the car I have ordered on their own system....

·
Registered
2017 LT upgraded to 2020 Premier
86 Posts
I am in San Francisco Bay area. two days ago I called a few dealers to order a bolt euv, but they all told me they couldn't due to the stop sale. Did you folks order before the stop sale? If not how do I convince the dealer to allow me to order?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am in San Francisco Bay area. two days ago I called a few dealers to order a bolt euv, but they all told me they couldn't due to the stop sale. Did you folks order before the stop sale? If not how do I convince the dealer to allow me to order?
I know a few people around here ordered them after the stop sale from what I had read. I thought about asking about ordering an EUV. However I decided I didn't want to get into another loan because I currently have a remaining balance on my Bolt. I also was not sure if or when the order would come in. I'm also interested in looking at the Ioniq 5 and thought the timing and not having a loan may be perfect. Repurchase department quoted me 8-10 weeks on the final paperwork once they receive an order number and seem confident the vehicle will arrive in time. I guess that puts me in early January for the finalization of the deal.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm sorry you found a dealer willing do host the swap, but wanted $1,000 up front. I know it's refundable, but still.. I walked in to my local Chevy dealer last week, not the one where I bought the car, and the GM said, "Sure, we'll do it. No deposit required". I placed an order for a Premier EUV, which will be built some time after they resume production at the Orion plant.

You could be in for some hefty sales tax, depending on the state. Check it out.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,322 Posts
I know a few people around here ordered them after the stop sale from what I had read. I thought about asking about ordering an EUV. However I decided I didn't want to get into another loan because I currently have a remaining balance on my Bolt. I also was not sure if or when the order would come in. I'm also interested in looking at the Ioniq 5 and thought the timing and not having a loan may be perfect. Repurchase department quoted me 8-10 weeks on the final paperwork once they receive an order number and seem confident the vehicle will arrive in time. I guess that puts me in early January for the finalization of the deal.
FYI, you won't be able to order a non-GM vehicle and have GM provide an MSRP swap. So unless a Chevy dealer somehow has an Ioniq 5 in inventory that for some crazy reason they would be willing to offer you in a swap, you would have to go the straight repurchase route from GM, then take the check to a Hyundai dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FYI, you won't be able to order a non-GM vehicle and have GM provide an MSRP swap. So unless a Chevy dealer somehow has an Ioniq 5 in inventory that for some crazy reason they would be willing to offer you in a swap, you would have to go the straight repurchase route from GM, then take the check to a Hyundai dealer.
I said previously that I ordered a 2022 Trailblazer RS. If the price is right for the Ioniq5 and I'm not pleased with the trailblazer then ultimately I would check it out once I have the title in hand for the trailblazer and trade it in.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
As far as I've heard I would only have to pay sales tax only on the remaining balance owed if I go over the credit amount once everything is deducted from my MSRP. In my case that would be 6.2% of $3,231 = +$200
This is exactly what I was told as well. You would only be on the hook for taxes on the additional amount that you owe them in the swap.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
A car in existing inventory is under stop sale until its battery is replaced. However, new production will have good batteries and not be under stop sale. But new production is likely to be a trickle, so an ordered car may not be built for quite a while.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am in Mass, I asked elsewhere, but hasnt GM said they are replacing recalled first, then will do new inventory. So how will that work for those swapping to new bolts? My coordinator thought like me, that once your car is eligible and swapped you can no longer exchange for new. My 2020 would probably be eligible months before the new ones. Is anyone else concerned about losing out waiting for new Bolt?

1 - 20 of 126 Posts