Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hasn't Chevy said new Bolt production will not resume in 2021, and again they said they will fix recalls first. For those waiting for a new Bolt swap, is the contract signed? Saying the swap will go through even if your Bolt is eligible for battery replacement before the new one is ready? Or will your car become eligible and your new order cancelled?

My MSRP credit is 11k over my repurchase offer, so it makes sense, order an ICE, and you could always sell to caravana for a slight loss and still come out 8-10k above.
My EV Concierge told me that once she had an order number for a new Bolt from a dealership, my swap would be locked in and GM couldn't cancel it. She said if my Bolt's recall status changes from "remedy not yet available" to "remedy available" the repurchase approval (whether trade or straight repurchase) would need to be resubmitted to for approval.

She said that I should order one from a dealer to lock in my repurchase and expected that it would take 3-6 months. I also don't get how they could build new Bolts with new batteries before replacing all the batteries in the field. I'd questioned her about that in the past and she didn't have a good answer.

@2020 Bolter, how did you get solid numbers for both a trade credit and a straight repurchase? I'm having trouble getting any solid numbers out of GM. I went over it with my concierge, but that's still a guess, not an exact offer. I was told several times that the straight repurchase and trade credit were the same except that GM pays the sales tax and DMV fees if you do a trade.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So when you say "would need to be resubmitted for approval" wouldnt that give them the option to back out? And I dont have solid numbers, I just know I bought a 2020 MSRP was 36.5k, my out of pocked total was 25k, so assuming both get a 5k mile usage deduction, I am in Mass, I am looking at around 24k cash, or 35k credit on MSRP, and the cash like others say isnt great cause you cant get an EV for 24k, but I can drive a 40k ICE for the next 3months to 1 year while I shop for my ideal next EV, even if that ultimately ends up being a new Bolt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So when you say "would need to be resubmitted for approval" wouldnt that give them the option to back out? And I dont have solid numbers, I just know I bought a 2020 MSRP was 36.5k, my out of pocked total was 25k, so assuming both get a 5k mile usage deduction, I am in Mass, I am looking at around 24k cash, or 35k credit on MSRP.
Exactly, they could back out once my battery replacement became available. That's why my concierge wanted me to put in an order. According to her, now I'm locked in for a repurchase.

I don't think your math is the same as GM's for the credit. I don't think they actually credit you for MSRP. They credit you for what you paid including taxes and DMV fees. So if you paid less than MSRP (which I did as well), they'll credit you less than MSRP. If you bought it used, they'll look at what it sold for new, but they'll do that with either a trade or straight repurchase.

If by "out of pocket" you're including Federal, State and Local incentives, GM doesn't care about those and it doesn't figure into their calculations for how much they offer you.

Maybe it's different in MA, but that's how it works in CA.

BTW: I was just in Boston for 5 days and only saw 1 Bolt the whole trip. They're are lots of them in the Monterey Bay and SF Bay area

·
Registered
25 Posts
Exactly, they could back out once my battery replacement became available. That's why my concierge wanted me to put in an order. According to her, now I'm locked in for a repurchase.

I don't think your math is the same as GM's for the credit. I don't think they actually credit you for MSRP. They credit you for what you paid including taxes and DMV fees. So if you paid less than MSRP (which I did as well), they'll credit you less than MSRP. If you bought it used, they'll look at what it sold for new, but they'll do that with either a trade or straight repurchase.

If by "out of pocket" you're including Federal, State and Local incentives, GM doesn't care about those and it doesn't figure into their calculations for how much they offer you.

Maybe it's different in MA, but that's how it works in CA.
No I expect my cash offer to be slightly less then my out of pocket cost, so 24k, but the MSRP from what I have seen on here, and what my EV Concierage says will be cars MSRP minus usage, so maybe 35k.

And regarding your case, you are saying once the order is linked, even if your status changes you are still locked in, and they wont re-evaluate? I would just want to see that clearly in writing

·
Registered
49 Posts
No I expect my cash offer to be slightly less then my out of pocket cost, so 24k, but the MSRP from what I have seen on here, and what my EV Concierage says will be cars MSRP minus usage, so maybe 35k.

And regarding your case, you are saying once the order is linked, even if your status changes you are still locked in, and they wont re-evaluate? I would just want to see that clearly in writing
Exactly.

On the MSRP trade value, I would recheck with your concierge, because I don't think that's how it works.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Exactly.

On the MSRP trade value, I would recheck with your concierge, because I don't think that's how it works.
I should be getting my call from the repurchase team in a week or two, I know swap varies by state laws, but from other's experience, especially in Mass it looks like MSRP; usage deduction varies by state.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been wondering about the tax thing too, and also have a low mile Bolt
It seems that you and I are following parallel paths. I too think it would be amazing if our swaps were eligible for the tax credits in the BBB plan. While reading the pertinent sections in the plan I came across this nugget that may impact our swap's eligibility:

"The amount of credit allowed for a qualified vehicle is limited to 50 percent of its purchase price."

What will our purchase price be if it is a swap since the purchase of the original Bolt transaction occurred prior to 1 January 2022?

I'm going to continue to dream big, but at the end of this whole drama my worst case scenario is that I end up with my current great Bolt with a new battery that I got a screaming deal on. You can't hit a homerun if you don't swing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It seems that you and I are following parallel paths. I too think it would be amazing if our swaps were eligible for the tax credits in the BBB plan. While reading the pertinent sections in the plan I came across this nugget that may impact our swap's eligibility:

"The amount of credit allowed for a qualified vehicle is limited to 50 percent of its purchase price."

What will our purchase price be if it is a swap since the purchase of the original Bolt transaction occurred prior to 1 January 2022?

I'm going to continue to dream big, but at the end of this whole drama my worst case scenario is that I end up with my current great Bolt with a new battery that I got a screaming deal on. You can't hit a homerun if you don't swing.
Right. That's my big question too. However, I think we'll qualify because as I understand it, we're purchasing a new 2022 Bolt for near MSRP. Evidence for that is that GM will pay sales tax on the $30,000+ price, not on the ( $New Bolt - $Swap Credit) difference.

The fact that GM is giving us a credit towards the purchase of a new car, doesn't change the sales price. It just changes our out of pocket cost.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hasn't Chevy said new Bolt production will not resume in 2021, and again they said they will fix recalls first.
Yes.

There was a two week production run from November 1-12, 2021, ostensibly to produce cars for use as service loaners to those getting their cars' batteries replaced. That seems unlikely to have produced many (if any) cars that could be used for trade repurchases. Originally, GM said that it would then suspend production for three weeks and restart on December 6, 2021, but (as of November 18, 2021) decided to cancel that and keep production suspended for the rest of 2021.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I also don't get how they could build new Bolts with new batteries before replacing all the batteries in the field.
If battery production exceeds the rate at which batteries can be installed by dealers in existing cars that need replacements, then using the excess battery production to produce new cars can be done without limiting the replacements.

But we (meaning people outside of GM) do not know whether this is true.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Hey, there is always the option of just speaking respectfully about people, even when we don't like what they say or do.
They don't deserve our respect.

Perhaps when you personally experience parking bans yourself (Bolt Parking Only is a subset) including at your work, when you have no other car nor viable transportation options, you'd feel differently. We've already gone over the stats and tens of millions of other non-EVs being recalled for and having caught fire while turned off w/park outside directions yet they haven't been banned.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
They don't deserve our respect.

Perhaps when you personally experience parking bans yourself (Bolt Parking Only is a subset) including at your work, when you have no other car nor viable transportation options, you'd feel differently. We've already gone over the stats and tens of millions of other non-EVs being recalled for and having caught fire while turned off w/park outside directions yet they haven't been banned.
There is a big difference between respecting someone and treating them with respect. It is totally ok to be mad about something, and to be vocal about, and to still treat others with a basic level of human decency.

Besides, making a poor or uniformed decision doesn't make you a moron. It just means you made a bad or poorly informed decision. If all it takes is one stupid mistake to earn the label, then we are all morons.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I should be getting my call from the repurchase team in a week or two, I know swap varies by state laws, but from other's experience, especially in Mass it looks like MSRP; usage deduction varies by state.
If you pursue a swap/trade replacement, no matter what state you live in, your credit amount will start out with the MSRP*** of your recalled Bolt. In most states, some usage fee will also be deducted (a handful of states do not allow usage fee deductions on swaps). In at least 1 state, the credit amount is actually some % higher than the MSRP of the recalled vehicle (I think I saw someone mention they are receiving 105% of MSRP as a swap credit on here).

The biggest difference between the calculations of a swap/trade replacement and a straight repurchase offer is that for a swap/trade, any discounts/incentives you received at the time you bought your Bolt DO NOT MATTER. For a repurchase, any rebates and discounts you received are deducted from your offer. As many Bolt owners got some insane discounts (talking $10k+ in rebates/incentives), that can make a huge difference in the math. That's how I ended up getting $44k in compensation from GM for my '19 Bolt that I paid $31k for OTD; I received the full MSRP credit equal to my Bolt's original sticker price. GM covered all taxes and fees for the replacement vehicle as long as the replacement's MSRP less than or equal to my MSRP credit.

As the used car market (and car market in general) is insane right now, it is very possible to flip your swap vehicle for at least MSRP or higher, which makes a swap all the more lucrative, though it comes with additional a$$pain of having to sell a car you just acquired. But going through that a$$pain can literally mean 5 figures more in your pocket.

***the actual credit I received as well as the price that was listed for the replacement vehicle, a Chevy Blazer, were not actually MSRP, but rather figures that were about $3k less for each vehicle. My Bolt's MSRP was $43,905, but the credit amount in the paperwork was $40,927, and the price of the Blazer (MSRP $33,795) was $30,817 in the paperwork. For both sets of numbers, the difference was $10,110.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
There is a big difference between respecting someone and treating them with respect. It is totally ok to be mad about something, and to be vocal about, and to still treat others with a basic level of human decency.
They don't deserve our respect. They are not respectful of us esp. in this crazy car market with new and used car shortages and inflated prices.

I think NorBC_Bolt's post at Bolt Parking Only sums things up pretty well.

I'm done arguing this with you. You should go tell that to others who have been impacted by parking bans in Bolt FB groups and those in the "Bolt parking only" thread.

·
Registered
49 Posts
$[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
If you pursue a swap/trade replacement, no matter what state you live in, your credit amount will start out with the MSRP*** of your recalled Bolt. In most states, some usage fee will also be deducted (a handful of states do not allow usage fee deductions on swaps). In at least 1 state, the credit amount is actually some % higher than the MSRP of the recalled vehicle (I think I saw someone mention they are receiving 105% of MSRP as a swap credit on here).

The biggest difference between the calculations of a swap/trade replacement and a straight repurchase offer is that for a swap/trade, any discounts/incentives you received at the time you bought your Bolt DO NOT MATTER. For a repurchase, any rebates and discounts you received are deducted from your offer. As many Bolt owners got some insane discounts (talking $10k+ in rebates/incentives), that can make a huge difference in the math. That's how I ended up getting $44k in compensation from GM for my '19 Bolt that I paid $31k for OTD; I received the full MSRP credit equal to my Bolt's original sticker price. GM covered all taxes and fees for the replacement vehicle as long as the replacement's MSRP less than or equal to my MSRP credit.

As the used car market (and car market in general) is insane right now, it is very possible to flip your swap vehicle for at least MSRP or higher, which makes a swap all the more lucrative, though it comes with additional a$$pain of having to sell a car you just acquired. But going through that a$$pain can literally mean 5 figures more in your pocket.

***the actual credit I received as well as the price that was listed for the replacement vehicle, a Chevy Blazer, were not actually MSRP, but rather figures that were about $3k less for each vehicle. My Bolt's MSRP was $43,905, but the credit amount in the paperwork was $40,927, and the price of the Blazer (MSRP $33,795) was $30,817 in the paperwork. For both sets of numbers, the difference was $10,110.
@bro1999 What state are you in? I'm in CA. I received a $6,500 GM credit when I bought my 2019 Bolt. Both my EV concierge and the letter I received from GM explicitly stated that the $6,500 would be deducted from the swap credit calculation. Also my EV concierge started with the ~$34,000 dealer price (i.e., before the $6,500 GM credit) not the $38,000 MSRP. I paid $29,735 otd including taxes and DMV fees. That's the price (less mileage deduction) my concierge claims will be my credit.

Maybe it's different in CA or maybe my EV concierge got it wrong.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,668 Posts
Yes, but I paid about $15k under MSRP so if I just do a buyback instead of a swap, that's like leaving $15k on the table. Well... a little less due to more taxes. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to turn around and sell the swap for many thousands in profit.

Local dealer shows stock of a bunch of Silverado's and Colorado's, along with a convertible Camaro... and several Bolt EUV's :rolleyes: , all for around my MSRP. Also a bunch of Silverado's and Colorado's listed as coming soon.
If you're depending on the dealer website for actual on-the-lot vehicles, be prepared to be disappointed. They'll lie, just to get you on the lot. By phone, too...they'll lie.

That's been my experience, 75% of the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Right. That's my big question too. However, I think we'll qualify because as I understand it, we're purchasing a new 2022 Bolt for near MSRP. Evidence for that is that GM will pay sales tax on the $30,000+ price, not on the ( $New Bolt - $Swap Credit) difference.

The fact that GM is giving us a credit towards the purchase of a new car, doesn't change the sales price. It just changes our out of pocket cost.
The only flaw in your line of thinking is that under a swap with GM, you're not actually buying the new 2022 from GM, (they don't sell cars to individuals). They are simply replacing your lemon car.

The fact that GM will pay any and all government taxes and fees due on the transaction is evidence that to the extent this swap is considered a taxable sale, GM is the buyer, (who would get any tax credit available). Think in terms of anyone who leased a Bolt when tax credits were still available under the current law. The tax credit went to GM Financial, (the actual entity that "Bought" the car from the franchise dealer, and then rented it to the lessee).

IMHO, the only way to avail yourself of any new tax credit in the event such credits become law, is to go straight cash buyback, (and then buy a new 2022 from a dealer when available).

·
Registered
17 Posts
[/QUOTE]

@bro1999 What state are you in? I'm in CA.

The letter I received from GM explicitly stated that the $6,500 would be deducted from the swap credit calculation.

I paid $29,735 otd including taxes and DMV fees. That's the price (less mileage deduction) my concierge claims will be my credit.

[/QUOTE]

I'm in CA also and this is the first time I've read this from anyone.

The $29,735 less usage deduction for mileage is EXACTLY what a straight cash buyback offer would be, (I.E. "Repurchase")?

Can you share the letter text, (no personal or vehicle identifying info)?

Are you still communicating with the EV Concierge, (not the CA customer engagement center)?

·
Registered
49 Posts

@bro1999 What state are you in? I'm in CA.

The letter I received from GM explicitly stated that the $6,500 would be deducted from the swap credit calculation.

I paid $29,735 otd including taxes and DMV fees. That's the price (less mileage deduction) my concierge claims will be my credit.

[/QUOTE]

I'm in CA also and this is the first time I've read this from anyone.

The $29,735 less usage deduction for mileage is EXACTLY what a straight cash buyback offer would be, (I.E. "Repurchase")?

Can you share the letter text, (no personal or vehicle identifying info)?

Are you still communicating with the EV Concierge, (not the CA customer engagement center)?
[/QUOTE]

@Chris58 I checked all my written communication with GM and it never mentions deducting the MFG incentive when calculating the trade credit, so I was wrong on that. I did go over the numbers in great detail on the phone with my EV Concierge. She explicitly said a number of times that GM would subtract the $6500 MFG incentive from the credit calculation. She figured out what my swap credit would be using my original sales contract. We did the math on the phone and I took exact notes. There was no question about whether it was for a straight buyback vs. a trade repurchase.

So, she may be completely wrong because she's not in charge of making the offer. In that case, I blew it because I ordered a stripped down Bolt EV LT1 which would come close to matching my trade repurchase credit (w/o the additional $6500 credit) and I'd be leaving about $6,500 on the table.

This is my EV concierge, Thelma, not the front line customer service. I am still in touch with her by phone and email. I'd already been approved for a Swap and my dealer put in a VIN for a Bolt EUV, the day the Stop Sale came down. I had just come back from a test drive and was actually in the dealership when the news broke.

So even though I had a submitted VIN of a Bolt on a dealer lot for a trade months ago, GM wasn't moving forward because of the Stop Sale. A couple of weeks ago, Thelma called me and said that I could and should order a new EV and that would get my case moving. Hopefully, I'll get actual offer numbers soon, as I have confirmation that GM got the order number from the dealer (and a car build date of 3/22/22) and my case should be moved to the "repurchase team." If I left $6.500 on the table, I'll see if I can order a higher trim level car.

I briefly looked at the CA Department of Consumer Affairs brochure on Lemon Law. It's not clear that the Bolt recall is covered under CA Lemon Law, but it's also not clear that GM is required to credit the consumer more than the purchase price if they replace the car with a comparable one.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts