Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any pictures out there of the car's rear chassis? Especially without the rear bumper skin.

Trying to figure out whether a hitch receiver would be possible.

I need a hitch for my bike rack.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I don't really see anywhere you can install a hitch on. Everything but the wheels looks to be covered so adding a hitch may require drilling though the protective plate?

·
Registered
735 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Definitely going to need to fab something up looking at the thread. I'm more fond of something welded on rather than bolted up.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
you have to consider if the hitch will fit since the chassis is specific to the Bolt. that means, those off the shelf hitch kits probably won't fit the Bolt. And a bike rack may reduce the Bolt's range because of drag. Maybe the bikes will bit in the back if you lower the second row?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Eventually something will come to market, for now we just have to be patient and it's the hardest part of buying a new vehicle. But hopefully the Bolt's undercarriage is similar to some other GM vehicle since right now that's what can give us the advantage, takes a bit of research but it might come down to adjusting how it mounts and going from their.

Just thought I would throw that out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you. I once modified a Lancer hitch and installed it on my EVO9.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Something will come out at some point.. just need demo cars to figure it out. I'm sure you'll be able to fab something up, shouldn't be that difficult at all.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Who knows we might be one of the communities out there that get approached by a company looking to make this happen.
Plus we also have to look out for what companies are going to the lengths of acquiring a Bolt to get measurements, test, etc. That's sure signage.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Aftermarket companies are known to ask for parts testing cars, but that's at your own risk. On the bright side, you'll get whatever product they come out with, including that trailer hitch. CURT Receiver made one for the Volt, maybe they'll move on to the Bolt once it's out.

·
Registered
735 Posts
but when dealing with a part like this there's little risk and what's at risk for the most part is easily visible to you.
it just starts by taking your vehicle to a reputable company and look through whatever contract they have you sign for their protection and yours (if that even applies)

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
So etrailer.com HAD a Curt hitch for the Bolt listed (and I actually ordered it), but after talking with them, it turned out the listing was a mistake and the hitch wasn't supposed to be for sale yet.

It seems they received 1 Bolt EV hitch from Curt.....not exactly sure why, and they ended up shipping that 1 hitch to me before they realized it wasn't supposed to go out yet. So I will likely be the only person outside of Curt HQ with a Bolt hitch in a few days. :)

Now I just need a Bolt!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Curt probably won't be happy that their hitch is all over the internet before people has taken delivery of their Bolts yet. :D I wan't to see this hitch too!

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Got it today! Only 1.25" and 100# tongue/1000# towing though. Curt has no plans to make a 2" version. Now just need a Bolt to install it on. :p

Cool having stuff I'm not technically supposed to have yet. Haha

Attachments

1 - 20 of 193 Posts