Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has experimented with "upgrading" their LT model with parts from a Premier. We have both models in our household, and it seems like some parts might be easily interchangeable.

For example, in the Premier, there is a cool blue LED light strip that glows around the dashboard when the headlights are turned on, that is absent in the LT. I'm pretty sure the "gap" where the light shines through is still present in the LT, so a cheap, flexible LED light strip placed behind that gap and wired to the headlight switch would probably do the trick.

Another thing missing (among many) on the LT are the outside rearview mirror LED turn signal lights. The actual LED light itself is only a $16 part from GM, and I think it snaps in on the mirror shell where that decorative silver strip is now. I'm not sure if the wiring is in the mirror body for the turn signals or not, but if not, that wouldn't be too hard to add with a wiring diagram.

There are other things as well, such as the rear passenger USB power connectors on the back of the center console, which are available on a single trim piece that is attached to the console itself, and probably a few other things to give the LT more of a "Premier" feel.

Some features, like the 360 degree cameras and the front collision and pedestrian warning would not be as easy to add, as they require things like sensors being mounted into the front fascia, but the smaller touches would be nice.

Last night I had to unbolt the center console and lift it up to fix the plug that goes into the rear of the two USB connectors in the front console well, because the dealer was too lazy to diagnose the problem with our cell phones not staying connected to power and Android Auto, and as it turns out, the plug was not "snapped" in to the USB receptacle completely. Once I made sure it was in all the way, the phones started working correctly every time they were plugged in. Anyway, it was pretty easy to access the inside of the console, so I'm hoping some of the other areas may not be too hard to get to, thus allowing some "parts change" upgrades.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd be interested as well. We also have two Bolts (LT). Like the USB power connectors in the center console back and side mirror LED turn signal lights.
Do you have a link to where you would purchase them?

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
We specifically looked for an LT with no other options than the DCFC port, and the heated seats. Every gadget you add will come back to bite you down the line. Of course, if you change cars every few years, it doesn't matter, but this is our last car, and I don't want the repair hassles.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just curious if anyone has experimented with "upgrading" their LT model with parts from a Premier. We have both models in our household, and it seems like some parts might be easily interchangeable.

So your Wife loved your new cruiser and wanted one of her own, How cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Another poster described an effort to install the powered folding mirrors (an Ampera feature) on a US Bolt with the Premier surround cameras. He had to buy the mirrors, and wire up the motors, but it was certainly do-able.

In general, some of the small stuff would not be bad, but the cameras may not be easy if there is something specific in the head unit such that it knows it is an LT (some ROM setting). You would definitely need some pretty intricate wiring schematics.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Another poster described an effort to install the powered folding mirrors (an Ampera feature) on a US Bolt with the Premier surround cameras. He had to buy the mirrors, and wire up the motors, but it was certainly do-able.(...)
That is me! Here is the thread about the http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/26-electronics-audio-lighting/18066-eu-kr-power-folding-mirrors-retrofit.html is you are interested.

I can comment about the LED strip in the mirrors, as I have taken them apart.
You are correct the LED strip is a cheap part, swapping it is simple once you remove the glass mirror (simple too, but you have to know how to do it, putting force on the glass is very in-intuitive...).

I think the issue will be wiring. Checking the door connector and the outside mirror connector in the service manual will tell you if the connectors are wired for turn signal by default or if that wire is associated with an option. I can't see any of the wiring diagrams or connectors wiring without paying a subscription, but I do not think that the the turn signals wires are carried inside the rear view mirror if it doesn't have the feature, the wiring loom in the door may not have the turn signals and same for the connector in the door etc...

Also the connector in the back of the LED strip itself is unique and protected with rubber for waterproofing. You can always find some used mirrors on eBay (wink, wink) that will get you fully assembled mirrors (no screwing up your stock ones) with turn signal wiring all the way to the door. With the added bonus of pre-wiring for blind spot detection retrofit in the future!

I have added wires through the doors and mirrors for the power folding mirror retrofit, and albeit possible, it is a lot of work but nothing that can't be done in a driveway with very basic tools and some patience.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
We specifically looked for an LT with no other options than the DCFC port, and the heated seats. Every gadget you add will come back to bite you down the line. Of course, if you change cars every few years, it doesn't matter, but this is our last car, and I don't want the repair hassles.
I’m not quite sure what you mean here. Are you suggesting that people should only buy stripped models because on a loaded model, an additional feature might go bad down the line? That seems, ummm, wrong, for lack of a better word...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I cannot believe they can put this all together for $37+K! We all know that the largest single portion of the expense of an auto after worker salaries, is the health insurance premiums for the workers who build it. The next big cash grabbers are the employer's part of the SS FICA and pension plans. Parts and materials are next. Can you really "add on" more inexpensively that you can buy the upgrade trim? I guess if you can do ALL of the labor yourself, you possible could. But if you need to pay someone to install all of the mods, I do not see how you could.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'd be interested as well. We also have two Bolts (LT). Like the USB power connectors in the center console back and side mirror LED turn signal lights.
Do you have a link to where you would purchase them?

This is what I found online:

USB Ports on Rear of Center Console - Trim Piece ($104.70):
(The question will be whether or not the wiring is already in the console for a second set of USB ports?)
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-rear-trim-42492306/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9Y2VudGVyLWNvbnNvbGUmaT1DVTE3MjgwNSZyPTE3JmE9Y2hldnJvbGV0Jm89Ym9sdC1ldiZ5PTIwMTcmdD1sdCZlPWVsZWN0cmlj

Left Turn Signal Mirror LED Light ($16.50):
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-f-lamp-42569339/?c=aT1DVTE3Mzc1NSZyPWxheWVyXzg=

Right Turn Signal LED Light ($16.50):
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-f-lamp-42569339/?c=aT1DVTE3Mzc1NSZyPWxheWVyXzg=

By the way, they also list an "Illuminated Charge Port" for the J1772 inlet. Sounds like its similar to the lighted ring we had around our BMW i3 charge port. Not sure if it is actually available or not, but if it is, it would be nice to have. A bit on the expensive side though. ($255.94):
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-charge-port-illuminated-84079437/?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJvbmljcyZzPXNhZmV0eSZhPWNoZXZyb2xldCZvPWJvbHQtZXYmeT0yMDE3JnQ9bHQmZT1lbGVjdHJpYw%3D%3D

And it looks like TimeToy has done some of these mods as listed below, so some of it is do-able!

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I’m not quite sure what you mean here. Are you suggesting that people should only buy stripped models because on a loaded model, an additional feature might go bad down the line? That seems, ummm, wrong, for lack of a better word...
My last car was purchased new for $9K cash. It was a 5 speed, manual, 2 door, Sentra E. It had no AC, radio, hand crank windows, no lights in the glovebox, trunk, or under the hood. I changed oil, filters, wiper blades, tires, batteries, antifreeze. plugs, plug wires, bulbs. It ran 380,125 miles, in 23 years. It got 34 mpg when I bought it, and it got 34 mpg when I drove it to the junkyard.

You can do whatever you like with your money. I saved mine to buy an electric car.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
My last car was purchased new for $9K cash. It was a 5 speed, manual, 2 door, Sentra E. It had no AC, radio, hand crank windows, no lights in the glovebox, trunk, or under the hood. I changed oil, filters, wiper blades, tires, batteries, antifreeze. plugs, plug wires, bulbs. It ran 380,125 miles, in 23 years. It got 34 mpg when I bought it, and it got 34 mpg when I drove it to the junkyard.

You can do whatever you like with your money. I saved mine to buy an electric car.
That’s awesome that you got so much out of that car in 23 years of ownership, and that you kept it running well for those 23 years. Better than what most people do. We usually get about 7 to 12 years and 150K to 235K miles out of a car before we sell it (still running well) or pass it on to a family member (also still running well). Certainly not as good as you, but still pretty decent.

There certainly is risk associated with adding on additional features above and beyond what is necessary for the basic function of the car. However, lemme point out that that Bolt is about as far from your simple Sentra as you can get. You’ve already taken a giant leap of faith on technology. The extra bits that some of the option packages have, and the associated risk of them failing, pales in comparison to the underlying Bolt itself. In for a penny, in for a pound kind of thing. Given the primarily electronic nature of those extra bits in the Bolt, it either dies very early at the start of ownership, in which case it’s replaced under warranty, or it probably runs forever until the car itself is retired. The risk of out of pocket expenses to fix is very low.

But as you point out, it’s your money to spend or not spend. For me, I chose to spend. It’s a car that I certainly plan to have for a long time, but won’t necessarily be my last. But if I’m gonna keep a vehicle for a long time, I want no regrets over whether I should’ve gotten an option, even if there is a risk of failure down the line.

The aforementioned vehicles (4 or so) of ours all had decent option packages and a fair number of bells and whistles in those option packages. Only one car suffered any failures of the extra bits, well after any extended warranty would’ve expired. Those failures were the laser cruise control sensor package (took a rock to the face), and the front passenger seat heater. None were essential to the operation of the car. Everything else remained working in that minivan, including heavily used things like the electric sliding doors, or the powered lift gate. Stuff that I thought had a much higher chance of failure than a seat heater.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Bolt was my first new car, previously would buy cheap. My brother advised me to get the works and I'm glad I did - so happy I have all the features. I'm babying the car and we'll drive it for years, all these goodies will keep paying dividends, and with all the rebates and discounts ($15k worth) they're practically free

·
Registered
195 Posts
:DA fully optioned Bolt Premier is about $4200 more than a base LT. My Bolt is my daily driver and I feel I can easily justify that cost for those neat technology options. I could have spent a lot more on something else. I'm Bolt happy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The OP is just asking a simple question.

Some of us don't think 4200 is worth the upgrade. If that means less debt, less monthly payment, earlier retirement, a few extra semesters saved for your child's education, an awesome vacation, so be it. Premier at $44000, even taking discount, credits into account, people still flip out when you tell them how much you spent on little commuter Chevy hatchback.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The OP is just asking a simple question.

Some of us don't think 4200 is worth the upgrade. If that means less debt, less monthly payment, earlier retirement, a few extra semesters saved for your child's education, an awesome vacation, so be it. Premier at $44000, even taking discount, credits into account, people still flip out when you tell them how much you spent on little commuter Chevy hatchback.
:eek:When brainstorming, consider all options. Retrofitting a car with missing factory options is a huge challenge. Impossible to possible, but cost prohibitive? Same Bolt, two trim levels, two price points. I chose the Premier for the added technology and safety features. With a fixed lease, I minimized the additional cost. My opinion, and I approve this message.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm not arguing the desire to save money or the view that people consider $4.2k too much for what you get, but it reminds me of what we do at my company and is a common practice, of simply locking out hardware features. In the old days you'd have to clip a resistor to unlock features, but that was too easy to defeat, nowadays we use encryption keys and licenses. People sometimes get upset about this practice - "but I have the hardware there already, just let me use it!" What they don't know is that the actual cost of a bit of hardware is a small part of it, the main cost is the development, and paying for all the support (marketing, mgmt, facilities, etc). Anyhow I'll see people spend the equivalent cost or more in time trying to defeat the features to get access to the hardware, which makes me wonder why not just take the easy route?

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is what I found online:

USB Ports on Rear of Center Console - Trim Piece ($104.70):
(The question will be whether or not the wiring is already in the console for a second set of USB ports?)
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-rear-trim-42492306/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9Y2VudGVyLWNvbnNvbGUmaT1DVTE3MjgwNSZyPTE3JmE9Y2hldnJvbGV0Jm89Ym9sdC1ldiZ5PTIwMTcmdD1sdCZlPWVsZWN0cmlj

Left Turn Signal Mirror LED Light ($16.50):

Right Turn Signal LED Light ($16.50):

By the way, they also list an "Illuminated Charge Port" for the J1772 inlet. Sounds like its similar to the lighted ring we had around our BMW i3 charge port. Not sure if it is actually available or not, but if it is, it would be nice to have. A bit on the expensive side though. ($255.94):
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-charge-port-illuminated-84079437/?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJvbmljcyZzPXNhZmV0eSZhPWNoZXZyb2xldCZvPWJvbHQtZXYmeT0yMDE3JnQ9bHQmZT1lbGVjdHJpYw%3D%3D

And it looks like TimeToy has done some of these mods as listed below, so some of it is do-able!

Anyone have an update on these mods?

·
Registered
151 Posts
For example, in the Premier, there is a cool blue LED light strip that glows around the dashboard when the headlights are turned on, that is absent in the LT. I'm pretty sure the "gap" where the light shines through is still present in the LT, so a cheap, flexible LED light strip placed behind that gap and wired to the headlight switch would probably do the trick.
I did it, but I choose a red one! Look here;
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/26-electronics-audio-lighting/10306-ambient-lighting-premier-edition-bolt-ev-2.html

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I cannot believe they can put this all together for $37+K! We all know that the largest single portion of the expense of an auto after worker salaries, is the health insurance premiums for the workers who build it. The next big cash grabbers are the employer's part of the SS FICA and pension plans. Parts and materials are next. Can you really "add on" more inexpensively that you can buy the upgrade trim? I guess if you can do ALL of the labor yourself, you possible could. But if you need to pay someone to install all of the mods, I do not see how you could.
For the Bolt the LG-sourced battery and drivetrain cost is well north of $10k, so it’s likely that this is the largest single portion of the expense of the Bolt, not labor or benefits or taxes.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts