Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my Bolt on 12/14. Transmission/shifter failed on 12/16. It wouldn't go into D, R, or even N, but would shift immediately back to 'P.' Got a little transmission error code. I don't want to go into the problems with OnStar and getting someone out on Saturday at 7 pm, but let's say that it was difficult. Finally towed to the local dealership where it sat for 19 days. "Transmission Actuator" replaced. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Bought my Bolt on 12/14. Transmission/shifter failed on 12/16. It wouldn't go into D, R, or even N, but would shift immediately back to 'P.' Got a little transmission error code. I don't want to go into the problems with OnStar and getting someone out on Saturday at 7 pm, but let's say that it was difficult. Finally towed to the local dealership where it sat for 19 days. "Transmission Actuator" replaced. Anyone else have this issue?
That is a rare one. Since May, when I bought/joined, I have mostly seen drivers who were on the learning curve of shifting. Don’t lose heart. You have a great EV. Here’s hoping for a “snag-less” future for you.

·
Registered
645 Posts
There have been a few of these mentioned here. On my car, they replaced the shifter and a couple of connections that were loose. It's likely not a mechanical transmission issue.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
There was a bulletin about shifter button problems, so it has happened to a few. Not just on Bolts. This shifter is used on some other GM vehicles as well. In some cases it was simply that the connector was not fully engaged at the factory. In other cases the button was replaced. The ridiculous part was them taking 19 days to replace it!

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Just a thought. How sensitive are the shifter buttons to contamination? Say someone was eating a bag of Cheetos while driving?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Multiple diagnostic codes were involved, but nothing indicated a mechanical issue. It was an ECU-type fault, so they replaced that Actuator. We'll see... Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem today 4/9/2018. I turn the car off, got out to see if a door was open or tire problem existed. It did not so I went to leave when I saw the service trans. message. I could not move. Walked back home for 30 minute came back to wait for the tow truck. It went into drive this time so I drove to the dealer. The tech was out sick so I drove 30 miles to work and another dealer. I am waiting for the results.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
All electro-mechanical devices will eventually have malfunctions and/or will wear into failure. The idea that EVs are immune is just wishful thinking.

jack vines

·
Registered
739 Posts
All electro-mechanical devices will eventually have malfunctions and/or will wear into failure. The idea that EVs are immune is just wishful thinking.
I luv wishful thinking, it gives me a warm sense of false security....

·
Registered
293 Posts

jack vines
But the time matters. The pistons and cylinders in an ICE have to have small tolerances to seal, and have to slide to work, be exposed to acidic combustion gasses and extreme temps, explosive shocks, etc. Result...they're shot after several thousand hours runtime.

The sealed, permanently lubricated roller bearings in an EV....good for 10,000s of hours of run life in service...much longer than most people want to own a vehicle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got the dreaded "TRANSMISSION SERVICE" a few weeks back...could not shift but came back an hour later and I was able to shift.
Yesterday I could not shift anymore and had it towed on rollers (could not release out of Park)

Got car back but I don't think they replaced or cleaned up any connector or other hardware which worries me!

P178D: REPROGRAM TRANSMISSION RANGE SELECTOR WITH SPS...CLEAR CODES

Seem like a common problem and quite annoying!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Definitely not a transmission failure: the Bolt does not have a transmission. The motor is geared directly to the wheels through a pair of reduction gears (7.05:1 total). There are no gears to shift. It's the 'gear selector' that failed. But old habits are hard to cure: drivers probably can't relate to having a vehicle without a transmission, esp. since the 'gear selector' looks just like the one on an ICE car - and indeed that's exactly what it is. But instead of connecting (mechanically or electronically) to a complex system of gears, countershafts and planetary gears, it simply tells the motor drivers to engage one way or another.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Definitely not a transmission failure: the Bolt does not have a transmission. The motor is geared directly to the wheels through a pair of reduction gears (7.05:1 total). There are no gears to shift. It's the 'gear selector' that failed. But old habits are hard to cure: drivers probably can't relate to having a vehicle without a transmission, esp. since the 'gear selector' looks just like the one on an ICE car - and indeed that's exactly what it is. But instead of connecting (mechanically or electronically) to a complex system of gears, countershafts and planetary gears, it simply tells the motor drivers to engage one way or another.
I am aware of the correct terms and how things work BUT that is what the error message on the screen is.
As a matter of fact my car was delayed for a whole day because the "transmission" guy was off that day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts