Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm going to Niagara Falls this weekend to see my ailing mother. I will be taking hwy 7 to Norwood for a free L3 charge. Do I need to do anything before showing up (some sort of registration, credit card, etc?) Then I might stop at the Burlington IKEA as Niagara Falls doesn't seem to have a hole lot of charging stations according to plugshare. I'll have my L1 charger for when I get to my mom's but would rather have "something in the tank" before I show up so I don't have to charge for 50 hours!!!

thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
try Peterborough at Lansdowne mall, lots to do and a full 50 kw from the Flo dcfc charger (free), Norwood is also Flo (free), there's not much around, register yourself with the Flo app i have started a charge with both the app and the card

·
Registered
392 Posts
You also have the 10 DCFC Chargepoint stations at the GTAA airport that are free, 5 on the north side and 5 on the south side. They are Chargepoint and you require their card which i got with my car. They seem to fast charge better than Ikea's units. Plus their being 5 in one spot more likely to get a station. The Ikea in etobicoke is busy and lately one of their 2 dcfc stations is more down than up. I do liek the fact that with the charpoint app you can see if a station is in use or not.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Charging at Ikea can be slowed down by the number of people there to use the DCFC. When the volume of people shopping goes up, it gets busier at the chargers. The airport would be the best bet for getting a charge without waiting for one to open up.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Charging at Ikea can be slowed down by the number of people there to use the DCFC. When the volume of people shopping goes up, it gets busier at the chargers. The airport would be the best bet for getting a charge without waiting for one to open up.
Was at ikea saturday night at 12:30am and one dcfc was down and a bolt on the one running, I had to wait and just as I get plugged in an i3 pulls up. Busy is the operative word.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've heard that with Flo, it pays to get the card (even for free chargers). I have a trip down highway 7 coming up as well, so I placed my request a week ago.

·
Registered
979 Posts
TDI: so how did the trip go ?

I forgot to suggest one thing: what about Chev Bolt EV dealers along the route who are required to possess at least one L3 charger and already have L2 chargers in place to service their earlier/ongoing Volt business ?

I need to do more investigation: whether Chev dealer EVSE's are available outside of business hours and whether they're "free" to transient Chevy EV owners. From what I've seen they're available / empty most of the time.

On your particular trip I was thinking about one in particular: heading west on 401, peel off at Whites Road in Pickering and there's a Chevy Bolt EV dealer only 300 metres west from the end of the off-ramp. Hit his L3 EVSE and then you can get back on the highway lickety-split. There's coffee snacks and free wifi in the waiting room.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok so here is the breakdown of the trip:

First leg from Ottawa to Norwood, 237kms, 105km/h on the 417, 90km/h on the 7. (my flo app did not register the session so I can't remember what went in) but I know I was there for over an hour.
Second leg from Norwood to Pearson (had to take detour as the 115 was closed.) 26.01kWh and 39 min.
Third leg to Niagara Falls. (plugged the car on L1 at my mom's place (God somebody shoot me!!!).

Left Niagara Falls with only 200kms on board after charging for like 48 hours!!!
Made it to Pearson, Chargepoint station would not initiate, had to call the help desk and they got it working, (it did not register in my chargepoint app) stayed there about an hour, left with 175kms on board heading towards Norwood.
Stopped in Norwood with 20kms to spare, went for a walk down the street to eat at Jack's (pretty good). pumped in 52.9kWh ant 1h44min. (drove 85km/s on the 7 and 99km/h on the 417.

Had to minimize energy consumption. heater on level 1 at 19c (I was frozen by the time I got home)

Made it home in Rockland again with 20kms to spare.

Total trip was 1185kms (I think 224kWh but I might be wrong)

I must say that it was not as bad as I thought but could definitely be better with stations closer together. Having to "top up" in Norwood took very long as I had to pass the 80% mark so kWh input dropped quite a bit and took much longer.

while I was in Niagara Falls, I went to the only L3 charger in the area, a KSI unit in Chipawa...did it work??? Of course not, kept saying charging unavailable, had "unknown" error messages all over the screen, called in but got fed up of being on hold so I left.

Oh ya, forgot to mention, total cost of the trip = charging the car once I got home so I'm guessing about $7

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Had to minimize energy consumption. heater on level 1 at 19c (I was frozen by the time I got home)

Made it home in Rockland again with 20kms to spare.
Thanks for the update. Good to hear your adventure turned out as planned. Trips like these seem very similar to the planning of a cross country trip flying an airplane. Except in a car one might take a little more risk.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cool Trip. I'm in St. Catharines, and there are a few Level 3 chargers around the Niagara area. For sure there is a 25 KW station at Brian Cullen (dealership in St Catharines), but you usually need to ask someone to turn it on. There is also one (50kW) in Welland, 15 min from the falls (not free). There are a bunch of level 2 stations around. It does sound like you were charging at 8 amps if you only got 200 - whatever you had left onboard when you arrived in 48 hours. 50 hours straight should basically top you up from empty at 12 amps even in the cold.

I'm curious if you did the trip with snow tires and what was your estimated full charge range when you got home? How long did the trip take? it sounds like you were not driving over the speed limit much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool Trip. I'm in St. Catharines, and there are a few Level 3 chargers around the Niagara area. For sure there is a 25 KW station at Brian Cullen (dealership in St Catharines), but you usually need to ask someone to turn it on. There is also one (50kW) in Welland, 15 min from the falls (not free). There are a bunch of level 2 stations around. It does sound like you were charging at 8 amps if you only got 200 - whatever you had left onboard when you arrived in 48 hours. 50 hours straight should basically top you up from empty at 12 amps even in the cold.

I'm curious if you did the trip with snow tires and what was your estimated full charge range when you got home? How long did the trip take? it sounds like you were not driving over the speed limit much.
Yes I saw the ones in Welland and St-kitts.

Yes I have the snow tires on, IIRC my full charge when I got home the next day said 344kms.

On the way up 105 in a 100 zone, 90 in an 80 zone.

On the way back, 105 in a 100 zone, 85 in an 80 zone and 99 in a 100 zone for the last bit on the 417

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Trips like these seem very similar to the planning of a cross country trip flying an airplane. Except in a car one might take a little more risk.
Interesting observation. Yeah, you have to figure out your range, which airports fit those leg lengths, see if the right kind of fuel is available, what hours they're open to sell it to you, etc. That probably explains why road trips in the Bolt don't really faze me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
More stops, less waiting?

I must say that it was not as bad as I thought but could definitely be better with stations closer together. Having to "top up" in Norwood took very long as I had to pass the 80% mark so kWh input dropped quite a bit and took much longer.
Just an observation, I don't own an EV yet, but might it actually be more time efficient to do more stops to charge up to 70% than to wait an extended period of time for the car to go from 70-100?

I get the impression that the range anxiety is rarely caused by the cars themselves, but more the charging stations. The charging companies really need to step up their game and amount of chargers!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I get the impression that the range anxiety is rarely caused by the cars themselves, but more the charging stations.
That's actually a very astute observation. When I'm driving a long distance that will require enroute charging, I have no doubts about being able to make it to a charger. My only doubts revolve around whether the charger will be occupied or, heaven forbid, out of service.

Because of the latter possibility my policy is to never go past a charger unless I have enough range to easily make it to the one after that, and that leads to unnecessary charging at higher states of charge and therefore slower charge rates than would otherwise be possible.

Hopefully one day chargers will be numerous enough that these kinds of issues are behind us. Right now the uncertainty around charging availability is more problematic for me than the length of time needed to charge, because I can usually use the time spent charging to do something else worthwhile.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Absolutely agree - If I could hit a charger at every 100km/60miles with a high likelyhood of it being multi-station, I'd have no anxiety at all.

I had a drive from Ottawa -> Norwood - > Pickering - > Norwood this past weekend. The entire trip depended upon the Norwood charger working - that's disconcerting (there is one other charger I could use, but it is capped at 30kw and terrible) - there is a ~ 150km gap in chargers from Norwood to the first charger off the 401 - silly!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a drive from Ottawa -> Norwood - > Pickering - > Norwood this past weekend. The entire trip depended upon the Norwood charger working - that's disconcerting (there is one other charger I could use, but it is capped at 30kw and terrible) - there is a ~ 150km gap in chargers from Norwood to the first charger off the 401 - silly!
What about the charger in Peterborough? Is that the 30kw one? Seems to have a good rating on plugshare.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
What about the charger in Peterborough? Is that the 30kw one? Seems to have a good rating on plugshare.

30kW is certainly better than a 7.2kW fallback position, which I always scout out before considering a long trip.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Yeah, right now you need to be pretty mellow for long distance trips and be willing to wait for a charger that's in use or to put up with a slow fall-back charger if necessary. That's certainly not for everyone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts