Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Not too many responses about cost difference. If you have a reliable car in hand, basically almost all paid for, why would you want to give it up for an unknown, unproven car at full price? (assuming you're not filthy rich...)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Rich - a bit off topic, but where are you in Tucson? We are in Oro Valley. Moved here 3.5 years ago from the SF Bay area, and we love it. Retired at the end of 2019, and turned 78 in July. Love to get together with you in the Fall.

Ron
Rich and I have gotten together several times. I am just SW of Tucson. About half way between the two of you.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ron, I think you would find the 2020 seats more comfortable than in the 2017. Besides the range and hi-def camera previously mentioned there are two other advantages that I see. The ability to set the charge limit (on my 2019) and the button on the home screen for the surround view.

What is still missing for me is Adaptive Cruse Control. Maybe in the 2021?????????? If possible I would try to wait until GM does the Bolt refresh that was planned for this summer but delayed due to the virus. But the discounts may go away with the refresh.

I think someone else said they could lease a 2020 for less than they were paying for their 2017 lease. If you stay with the lease option, this would be attractive. At least also check out this option and the buy out at the lease end. It might be less than your 2017. And even though neither of us have had any service issues, having a new 3 year, 36k mile warranty is nice.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
192 Posts
If an EV breaks down, you need a specialized mechanic with specialized tools.
This, to me, is the biggest strike against Tesla. If/when something goes wrong with a Tesla, there aren’t a ton of service options. I live in Sacramento and the closest option is over 40 miles from me.

I’ve heard about their Rangers and all but I still don’t know if that’s always the best option during a road trip or even when something minor comes up that needs to be addressed. A CarMax salesperson told me the complexities in working on Teslas is why they don’t sell them, and I know there aren’t a lot of private garages around me that will even touch one, which drives the cost and wait time way up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not too many responses about cost difference. If you have a reliable car in hand, basically almost all paid for, why would you want to give it up for an unknown, unproven car at full price? (assuming you're not filthy rich...)
Because the Model Y really isn't "unknown" and "unproven" as you say. That's a total exaggeration. "Problems" in first year cars are annoying but pretty minor. It's been a along time since the auto industry, including Tesla, would do something like introduce a line of cars with a North Star V-8 that would literally have an engine failure at 100k miles. My idea of a problem is a common and total drive train failure or suspension failure way before it should happen. I have not heard of anything like that happening to any make/mode of car in decades.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Phil, I plan on doing a full write-up for our ChevyBolt group on our little jaunt after it's done!

Rich
I'm looking forward to reading about it. I saw your note about the Tesla not appreciably changing the trip time. I have no way to dispute that but at first glance only am skeptical. The charge speed being the main reason I say this. And I wonder if the bigger battery would equate to possibly one less stop. Maybe not.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Because the Model Y really isn't "unknown" and "unproven" as you say. That's a total exaggeration. "Problems" in first year cars are annoying but pretty minor. It's been a along time since the auto industry, including Tesla, would do something like introduce a line of cars with a North Star V-8 that would literally have an engine failure at 100k miles. My idea of a problem is a common and total drive train failure or suspension failure way before it should happen. I have not heard of anything like that happening to any make/mode of car in decades.
If by "long time," you mean about 4 years...

It is true, though, that the quality issues with the Model Y specifically have not been with the powertrain, motors, suspension, etc. The bigger concern people have (and I personally agree with this) is that you can really only go through Tesla if you want your Tesla fixed. As the NYT article above noted, Tesla's practice of requiring a the owner to sign an NDA before repairs are made increases concerns about only being able to work through Tesla to have a vehicle repaired.

Most other EVs are in a similar boat in that many mechanics outside of an EV-certified dealership mechanic are reluctant to work on them. The difference, though, is that you can take, say, your Chevy Bolt EV to any EV-certified Chevy Dealership you want. No NDA is required. You are free to report the incident. You can even order the parts and fix the car yourself.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm looking forward to reading about it. I saw your note about the Tesla not appreciably changing the trip time. I have no way to dispute that but at first glance only am skeptical. The charge speed being the main reason I say this. And I wonder if the bigger battery would equate to possibly one less stop. Maybe not.
ZoomZoom, I could have made my comment a bit more clear. Sure, I think the Model Y will make for quicker, certainly more relaxed, recharge stops. What I should have made clear is, as we will only be driving around 500 miles a day for each day of travel, we're kind of stuck in a six-day one-way situation.

My logic? The distance is around 2,900 miles one way (let's call it 3,000 miles so I don't have to take off my socks in order to do the math...). If we tried for 600 miles days, and you count in the time needed even for a smooth Tesla fast-charge, that's going to be well in excess of 12 hour days, which, to be fair, is the amount of hours I'm planning on doing in the Bolt each day (and that's for 500 mile days!). That's a lot of time to be in a vehicle, at least for my spouse and I.

Thus my comment that the trip really won't be any "faster." More comfortable, less of a hassle, perhaps with somewhat shorter hours on the road each day, but, none the less, it will last a full six days at our 500 mile per day self-imposed daily travel limit.

Rich

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
ZoomZoom, I could have made my comment a bit more clear. Sure, I think the Model Y will make for quicker, certainly more relaxed, recharge stops. What I should have made clear is, as we will only be driving around 500 miles a day for each day of travel, we're kind of stuck in a six-day one-way situation.

My logic? The distance is around 2,900 miles one way (let's call it 3,000 miles so I don't have to take off my socks in order to do the math...). If we tried for 600 miles days, and you count in the time needed even for a smooth Tesla fast-charge, that's going to be well in excess of 12 hour days, which, to be fair, is the amount of hours I'm planning on doing in the Bolt each day (and that's for 500 mile days!). That's a lot of time to be in a vehicle, at least for my spouse and I.

Thus my comment that the trip really won't be any "faster." More comfortable, less of a hassle, perhaps with somewhat shorter hours on the road each day, but, none the less, it will last a full six days at our 500 mile per day self-imposed daily travel limit.

Rich
Something to keep in mind is that there is no difference in "the time on the road" between a Bolt EV and a Model Y. The difference is in the time spent stopped. Part of the reason I did my 621.4 mile (1,000 km) test in the 2020 Chevy Bolt EV at posted freeway speeds is because I wanted set a base line. That trip took less than 12 hours.

Granted, that trip was in a 2020 Bolt EV, but even in a 2017 to 2019 Bolt EV, 500 miles (121.4 miles less) in 11 to 12 hours is a pretty leisurely pace. Given that driving pace, you're probably right that you wouldn't notice a huge difference in the Model Y. At most, the charging time difference would be about an hour over the course of a 12-hour day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just a short observation about GM vs Tesla EV's.

GM EV's have Blended Brake Technology.
You get Variable Regen from using the brake pedal while driving Normal Style in D, without the friction brakes adding to the deceleration, up to max Regen, then the Friction Brakes blend in.

Tesla forces the drive to adopt to the 1 Pedal driving style. Their brake pedal is just an old school friction brake pedal.
They do not have Blend Brake Technology.

Some people claim an efficiency benefit to 1 Pedal driving. This is not provable.

Note: I don't know if this is still true for the Model Y.....

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just a short observation about GM vs Tesla EV's.

Some people claim an efficiency benefit to 1 Pedal driving. This is not provable.
Errr...yes it is. Quite easily provable. They added it a few months ago.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I think this is an important topic for EV owners to understand: Regenerative braking in and of itself does not increase range. Regenerative braking only increases range when it replaces deceleration from friction braking. Now, that part might be filed under, "No duh," but it's important to note that the most efficient driving for an EV is steady speed driving.

Regenerative braking is not 100% efficient (that would defy the laws of physics), so you're never getting back as much as you put in. The Bolt EVs that have been hypermiled for more than 400 miles on a single battery charge used almost no regenerative braking over the course of those drives, and it wouldn't matter whether they were in D or L.

This translates into the real-world as well, where driving style dictates range and efficiency far more than regenerative braking mode. In fact, for the most efficient drivers on the most efficient driving cycles, the most efficient regenerative braking mode would be zero regeneration (i.e., coasting to stops).

·
Registered
145 Posts
I will say only this : expect to pay 1k - 3k $ per year for maintenance of a Tesla after the 3 years of coverage. A premium car comes with the premium costs for maintenance. While a Bolt EV hardly costs almost nothing even after the first 3 years.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I will say only this : expect to pay 1k - 3k $ per year for maintenance of a Tesla after the 3 years of coverage. A premium car comes with the premium costs for maintenance. While a Bolt EV hardly costs almost nothing even after the first 3 years.
Voldar, that sounds awfully high for routine maintenance, even for a Tesla!!

Rich

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Voldar, that sounds awfully high for routine maintenance, even for a Tesla!!

Rich
Yeah, don't let the FUD scare you off.

I assume maintenance for the Model Y will be similar to the Model 3.

I'm into my third year with only tires as a cost.
  • Tire Rotation, Balance, and Wheel Alignment: 10,000 - 12,000 miles
  • Brake Fluid Test/Flush: 2 years
  • Cabin Air Filter: 2 years
    • High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filter: 3 years (if equipped)
  • Air Conditioning Service: 2 years (Model S), 4 years (Model X), 6 years (Model 3)
  • Winter Care: Annually or every 12,500 miles for cars in cold weather climates.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just received a mailer from GM for my 2020 Bolt that i purchased in January. It recommended a tire rotation.
No other suggestions were offered.
A friend purchased a Used Model S not long ago directly from Tesla. He had issues which he narrowed to the
12 volt battery. He charged it, but, couldn't get codes to go away. Car wouldn't move. Tesla finally picked it up
with a flat bed. They have had it for over a week. He is very unhappy with them. No communication.
Calls service center, voicemail full. Sends texts, if a reply is gotten, he believes it is a generated response.
I waited in line on day one for the :Model 3 reservation and ordered two of them. Got more and more
disillusioned with them and finally canceled both. Didn't even bother trying to sell reservations. Probably
should have.

21 - 40 of 179 Posts