Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we think Chevrolet could offer the Bolt in similar trim levels to the Volt, LT and LTZ for example?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I don't see why not since it was done for the Volt. We'll probably see a leather package as standard with the LTZ Bolt. hoping they can somehow integrate seat heaters in there too but it may be too much of a battery eater.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't see why not since it was done for the Volt. We'll probably see a leather package as standard with the LTZ Bolt. hoping they can somehow integrate seat heaters in there too but it may be too much of a battery eater.
Learning as I go here, but from what I've read of EVs and cold weather, having a heated seat and steering wheel is more efficient than trying to heat the cabin. Let the occupant feel warm, even if the air in the cabin is cool.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Bolt has seat heaters, for the rear seats as well.

They probably will package options by trim level like they did with the Volt. Honestly it's a good way to make money, forcing you to buy options you may not want in order to get options you do.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think having some higher trim levels will be a good idea because many of the competitors are more expensive and as such offer some more luxurious features. We know that the ELR didn't pan out, and I am not seeing a Buick EV either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think having some higher trim levels will be a good idea because many of the competitors are more expensive and as such offer some more luxurious features. We know that the ELR didn't pan out, and I am not seeing a Buick EV either.
Yea but what are you talking about...The ELR didn't work out because Cadillac tried to compete on price par with a lesser product. It had nothing to do with it not being luxurious enough or offering enough features.

All you're offering are platitudes...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't care as much about the seat heaters as I do about the CCS charging option. My guess is a lot of the options will be bundled together in a "Premiere" package or something like that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
There will be trim levels (like all Chevies), packages (like Volt) and stand alone options (like CCS charger was for the Spark EV).

Here are my thoughts from the 2019 Bolt EV AWD thread:
When the Bolt EV arrives at the dealers late in 2016, there will likely be at lease two trim levels. We've all seen this before and a relevant example is the Volt, which has LT and Premier trim levels. On top of the trim levels are the packages, such as the "Drivers Confidence Package" and "Driver Confidence II Package." For a complete rundown of the feature differences in the Volt, go here.

The $37,500 Bolt EV will come "decontented" from what GM has shown. It won't have all the safety features. The rear view mirror will not have the video screen. The wheels may be smaller or less flashy. The headlights may be halogen instead of LED. I strongly expect the powertrain and battery will be the same, but the CCS DC fast charger will be an option. The base version may have fewer paint or interiors colors available.

It will, of course, cost us money to add those features back in. How much they cost will be based on how strong the demand is expected to be which, in turn, is based on things such as the strength of the competition and even the price of oil. Other options that might still be revealed are (only my speculation here) heated steering wheel, sunroof, leather seating, and maybe memory seats. I do not expect any "sporty" trim options, such as different bumpers, spoilers, larger wheels, or different suspension. I also don't expect any CUV-like features, such as increased ground clearance, towing package, or AWD. ...at least initially.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I can do without most of the additional features as some of them seem useless to me but I'm hoping the CCS charging option can be added on as an option by itself and not as a package.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I expect the DC fast charging will be a stand alone option, like it is on the Spark EV. It is of course incredibly useful for a 60kWh battery, but the challenge is that a far majority of the country does not have convenient access to CCS chargers. I got my Spark EV with the DC fast charger and have never used it. My range won't take me anywhere near a CCS plug (today). A 200mi car would, and I would use the fast charger for longer trips. For people that don't live near areas that have CCS, the option would be useless and those people might not want to pay for it. (I got it on the Spark to help "future proof" it.)

Maybe a year or two later when a CCS plugs are more widespread, GM will make it standard.

If I bought a Bolt today, I'd get the CCS plug because I do expect the CCS plugs to be more prevalent in my area over my expected ownership of the car.

When looking for my Spark EV, I noticed that dealers near CCS chargers (LA area) had cars optioned with the CCS receptacles. Those further way from CCS plugs, such as in central California, did not have cars optioned with DC fast charging. Makes sense right?

The same will happen for the Bolt EV. If you live near areas with CCS chargers, the dealers will order them with the cars, especially the higher trimmed models. If you live in CCS-sparse territory, expect the dealers to order fewer Bolts optioned with DC fast charging.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The easiest way to look at the currently availability of CCS (SAE Combo) plugs is via the PlugShare website. Click on the "more options" button in the upper right and then unselect all the options under "Outlets (Local)" except SAE Combo DCFC. As of today, the map looks like this:

For a "50-state" car, CCS will be a useless option for many people.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would think (and hope) that the DC fast charger is standard on the Bolt. The reps I talked to at the DC Auto Show said it was, but they may have been mistaken.

Also, cars like the Kia Soul EV include it as a standard option and I imagine a lot of the refreshed models over the next few years will include it as standard. Like you mentioned, it doesn't make sense to have a 60+ kVh battery with that option and the DC fast charge infrastructure is much better off than it was a few years ago.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I can't find the quote right now, but GM stated at the Detroit Auto Show that DC fast charging will be an option. I think the only uncertainty is whether it will be bundled with other options, in a trim level or package, or not.

I expect they'll do the same as the Spark EV and make it a stand alone option, for the reasons I described above; it's a very geographic-dependent feature and based on the availability of charging stations.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I find it somewhat disturbing that under the list of standard and optional features for both levels, that neither one indicates that the DC fast charger is an option or standard.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I find it somewhat disturbing that under the list of standard and optional features for both levels, that neither one indicates that the DC fast charger is an option or standard.
Not to worry. There are always stand alone options, such as metallic paint, DCFC, floor mats, etc. It'll be there.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The proportion of buyers fro each trim will be dependent on how much more the Premier trim costs compared to LT. As for DC fast charger, chevy added it back to their Chevy bolt info page so yup, we're getting it but probably as an additional option.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The proportion of buyers fro each trim will be dependent on how much more the Premier trim costs compared to LT. As for DC fast charger, chevy added it back to their Chevy bolt info page so yup, we're getting it but probably as an additional option.
Bolt EV offers available DC Fast Charging capability, which provides a GM-estimated up to 90 miles of range in about 30 minutes of charge time. That’s enough time to enjoy a cup of coffee. DC Fast Charging stations are available for public use and are perfect for topping off your charge while on the go.
from bolt ev webpage http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

And this video:
http://www.chevyevlife.com/bolt-ev-questions-and-answers/#what-are-the-different-charging-options

1 - 20 of 43 Posts