Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was clever how GM got out of providing a GPS navigation system. That could have provided a lot of features, like showing charging stations, etc. Instead we have Google Maps and Waze. When using these just on my Samsung Galaxy Note3, they work just fine. When plugged into the console USB port, it displays on Projection/Android Auto. Maps says that it is searching for GPS signal. Waze just says follow the highlited course. Waze will work if the phone is on the dash, right under the window, but watch out for those tight L hand turns! Neither Waze nor Maps knows where I am, tells me to get on roads not around me and so forth and you can't deselect one or the other - very frustrating. My solution is to mount my Garmin Nuvi on the dash. Have others had navigation problems with their Android smartphones? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I had enough trouble that I put the Garmin Drive Smart 51 on the dash. I get super accurate location & directions, voice-activated phone calling and route instructions, a gps speedometer AND the posted speed limit on all roads. GPSs always have this to calculate times to destinations, but mine displays it. Lastly, I get an audio warning about 0.1-0.2 miles prior to a reduced speed limit. Cool beans!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Galaxy S6, and absolutely zero problems no matter where the phone is placed in the car. I use Waze, but Google Maps works perfectly well too. The logic of not having resident navigation took a while to embrace, but as soon as I bought the car & started using Android Auto, I was sold. (but only if it works!)
Waze does show GPS speed -vs- speed limits

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I had enough trouble that I put the Garmin Drive Smart 51 on the dash. I get super accurate location & directions, voice-activated phone calling and route instructions, a gps speedometer AND the posted speed limit on all roads. GPSs always have this to calculate times to destinations, but mine displays it.
I bought a Garmin for my Prius C and I love it. I use it all the time, even when I'm familiar with the route, because I've become quite enamored of the "estimated arrival time" that it displays. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a good place to mount it when my Bolt arrives.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I keep a spare android phone without data plan in my car.

Now that my GM trial period is over with no more data left, here's my observation.

Download offline map and google maps will work with navigation, but no traffic update and the search function won't work on your screen, but it will work on your phone (in car mode) ... very odd bug and google is very slow to respond since I see people reporting this problem for quite a while now.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I bought a Garmin for my Prius C and I love it. I use it all the time, even when I'm familiar with the route, because I've become quite enamored of the "estimated arrival time" that it displays. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a good place to mount it when my Bolt arrives.
The dashboard pad is very stable, non-intrusive to the view out the windshield, and requires little angular eye shift to glance at the data. I plugged into the “cigarette lighter” power source and wrapped the extra cord around the plug handle. The right side of the steering wheel hides the cord. I virtually do not see it. I can still set the unit on the floor if parked where I don’t want to show it’s presence.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've been using Android Auto w/Google Maps for a wile now... the only time it hiccups is when my phone is performing massive app updates (like 27 apps need updating).

Now I have auto-updates disabled and AA has been flawless since.

·
Registered
624 Posts
i'm fine with not having built-in maps/GPS. my prior car had it, and i never used it, because it was never updated. i always opted for my phone instead. and since the bolt has carplay, it's even better. i'm sure apple updates their maps more often than GM would, based on how few updates we've gotten for the infotainment center.

also, ios 11 displays the current speed limit based on where you are, which is nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Apple CarPlay works beautifully.
Haven't had an issue with it yet and it's much more pleasing to the eye and ear than typical navigation systems.

I'm glad I didn't have to pay for a traditional system I would never use.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Since my bluetooth problems have been resolved, Android Auto (used with Google maps) has been great. I wouldn't go back to a portable or embedded system. Yes, it would be great if plugshare was AA capable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When using Apple Carplay, the entire Bolt screen is used. But for Andriod Auto, the entire Bolt screen is not used. Things are pillar boxed. Does anyone know how to fix this?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ The Android Auto App dev's have blamed the "window box" issue on GM, the ball is in GM's court to fix it.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Since a previous update a few weeks back, AA has been extremely reliable.
Now that Waze works with AA, I've been using it too... no problems with Waze at all on the Bolt.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I've been very impressed with Android Auto so far. The biggest issue I've seen to date is that if I try to dictate a text message it tends to include some of it's own prompt. For example, when it asks "What is the message" and I reply "I'll be there in 10 minutes", it will tend to read back the message as "Message I'll be there in 10 minutes" or even "What is the message I'll be there in 10 minutes". And once when I tried to correct the message it hung.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had my Bolt for just over a month now and I have not been able to get the navigation to work with android auto. I have the Samsung S7 and tried both Google maps and Waze. The phone is connected with a usb port. I tried on 3 occasions. The first time it showed no movement so I was thinking I had to somehow select the route displayed (first attempt at using waze). Other time with waze it showed the route and I could see my position along it change but the map never updated regarding turns/instructions/anything. It showed the entire route from my initial parked location and that my current position was located along the route. The route never changed when I went onto a different road. There was no sound and I was trying to find a way to mess with volume. I unplugged the phone and occasionally glanced at it to know where to turn as apparently the car silences the phone's navigation audio, which is frustrating. I can't get navigation to work and the car silences my phone if I navigate with it unconnected, super! I'm fighting my dealership about fraud or I'd ask them for help.

Has anyone experienced this, has ideas, or who I should talk as I'm concerned something is defective with my car?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I too use AA with a Samsung Note 3. No problems with nav, even if I put the phone in the console. However, I do set everything up with the phone *not* in the console, then when everything is working as it should, I put it in the console.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've experience the same problem with both Waze and Google Maps GPS with Android Auto using my HTC A9 smart phone and I'm not sure if the problem is related to the phone, its version of the Android operating system, or the Bolt's Android Auto software. There have been a few times it has worked, although infrequently, which renders it useless for the most part. If I used GPS on a regular basis, I would make the effort to seek resolution. It is, however, frustrating to not be able to use my phone's GPS reliably with my Bolt.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When using Apple Carplay, the entire Bolt screen is used. But for Andriod Auto, the entire Bolt screen is not used. Things are pillar boxed. Does anyone know how to fix this?
If you mean the AA maps show two black bars on the sides then you will need to take the car to the dealer for a firmware update on the Infotainment system.

To check for the latest version, go to the Settings/Software Information/Software Update/. The latest version is 14.4.2, which removes the black side bars from AA.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts