Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Can anyone help me with a key issue? I bought a 2019 Bolt last week and it only came with one Key Transmitter. So I bought a new replacement one on ebay. Someone here on the board said they had success with one that was for an Equinox/Cruize/Sonic (alghotuh it has an extra trunk button.. but looks the same othewise) so I thoght I would give it a try.

I followed the procedure in the manual to clear all keys (the 30 minute procedure) and program new ones. I was able to program the first one (the key that we already had). But I could get it to take the new ebay key. When it said Ready for Remote #2 I put it in the spot and hit the power button. The screen didn't change and it never said Ready for Key #3. Weird. I tried putting in a new battery (although does that even matter for this part?) but still didn't work.

So the next day I noticed a new message that it needed Service for the Theft Deterrent system. That's weird. Car works fine, but am getting that message (and the security light (car with a key). I thought I would retry the programming procedure to see if that would clear it. Unfortunately it didn't. And this time for the 2nd key.. I tried an extra one we have for our 2017 Bolt (we have 2 Bolts now). It wouldn't program that 2nd key either.

Weird. Can anyone help? Any idea why I can't get a 2nd key to program? Or that ebay one? And why that light and Service message might be coming on? Car seems to be working fine.. but obviously I want to try to resolve this (and get a 2nd key programmed).

Thanks all!

-Peter

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Hi All,

Can anyone help me with a key issue? I bought a 2019 Bolt last week and it only came with one Key Transmitter. So I bought a new replacement one on ebay. Someone here on the board said they had success with one that was for an Equinox/Cruize/Sonic (alghotuh it has an extra trunk button.. but looks the same othewise) so I thoght I would give it a try.

I followed the procedure in the manual to clear all keys (the 30 minute procedure) and program new ones. I was able to program the first one (the key that we already had). But I could get it to take the new ebay key. When it said Ready for Remote #2 I put it in the spot and hit the power button. The screen didn't change and it never said Ready for Key #3. Weird. I tried putting in a new battery (although does that even matter for this part?) but still didn't work.

So the next day I noticed a new message that it needed Service for the Theft Deterrent system. That's weird. Car works fine, but am getting that message (and the security light (car with a key). I thought I would retry the programming procedure to see if that would clear it. Unfortunately it didn't. And this time for the 2nd key.. I tried an extra one we have for our 2017 Bolt (we have 2 Bolts now). It wouldn't program that 2nd key either.

Weird. Can anyone help? Any idea why I can't get a 2nd key to program? Or that ebay one? And why that light and Service message might be coming on? Car seems to be working fine.. but obviously I want to try to resolve this (and get a 2nd key programmed).

Thanks all!

-Peter
I haven't seen the clear all keys thing. The manual says you need two programmed fobs in the car to be able to program a third fob, which is why I just got a third fob, in case we lose one. You are stuck going to the dealer for them to program your new fob. It is a theft deterrent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a second procuedure if you dont' have any keys (or don't have 2 of them currently programmed). It takes longer. but it says it clears all keys and then you can program the transmitters back to the vehicle one by one. But I'm running into some trouble with this. Maybe since the 2nd key didn't work.. it seems to be unhappy.. hense the light and error message. I'm just hoping it won't stop working at some point before I can figure out a solution.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
There is a second procuedure if you dont' have any keys (or don't have 2 of them currently programmed).
Unfortunately, I can't help with your problem. But I just wanted to note that for us Canadian Bolt owners you can't learn a new fob if you've only got one fob that's recognized. You need two fobs in order to program another one yourself. That's a good reason to get a third spare fob and get it programmed so that the car recognizes it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts