Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Trouble seeing upper DIC dash display

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  sundog 
#1 ·
I’ve now had my Bolt for 2 weeks, and mainly I love it. And the seat itself is comfortable for me - that’s not an issue, as I know it is for some. However, I assumed I’d be able to find a combination of seat/steering wheel/extra pillow positions so I could see the Driver Information Center display adequately. (I always have before - in rental cars, for example.) I sit tall and have short legs, which means the upper steering wheel blocks the upper display. Unfortunately, that’s where current speed is displayed, the most important figure. If it were in the center, I’d be fine. Reading the speed from over the top of the steering wheel doesn’t work because the dash overhang blocks it. Darn.

Does anyone know if it’s possible somehow (doubtful, I know) to modify the DIC to move the speed display down, to the center? Or have any other suggestions for workarounds? Right now my choice is having the seat angle uncomfortably far back, or constantly having to bob my head down. I guess I could get used to that . . . I'm rapidly moving toward the senior years too, so maybe I'll shrink a bit. :) Thanks.

#3 ·
Does anyone know if it’s possible somehow (doubtful, I know) to modify the DIC to move the speed display down, to the center?
I checked the DIC display options menu, accessed from the arrows on the right side of the steering wheel. Unfortunately, they all put the speed in the same place.

My wife almost never uses CC. I drive almost exclusively in CC, because I hate having to look down at the dash to see how fast I am going. The CC works so well on the Bolt, I am completely spoiled. If I need to accelerate to get around a slower vehicle I press the accelerator. After getting around I release it, and the CC is still activated. If I need to slow down, I put my foot on the throttle, and tap the regen paddle. To accelerate again. I tap the CC engage button and the car accelerates at a good clip without overrunning the set speed....sweet!.

#5 ·
Thanks for these helpful suggestions. I have tried moving the steering wheel around, yes. Maybe I'll try a few more times and get lucky... this is what I thought would happen once I bought the car. And XJ12, I know what you mean about hitting one's head. That's definitely not an issue with the Bolt! Maybe my back and neck can get used to leaning back more. I've also had to do that in other vehicles. GJetson (ace contributor!), thanks for checking out all the display options. Maybe someone should suggest to Chevy that they make this an option in a future software update. I doubt I'm the only one who has this problem.

Interesting suggestion to use cruise control more where feasible. I was wondering - info on different threads seems mixed about whether it's as efficient as just driving in L (all I've been doing). But if the other coping methods prove to be relatively unsatisfactory, great idea. Maybe even setting an alert for going too fast, although now that I've learned about the color coding for speed limit of the big circle around the speed, that will help too. And I can see the bottom portion without difficulty. I could not find a note about that in the manual, but maybe I missed it. After two weeks, I'm still on a learning curve.

#9 ·
I’ve now had my Bolt for 2 weeks, and mainly I love it. And the seat itself is comfortable for me - that’s not an issue, as I know it is for some. However, I assumed I’d be able to find a combination of seat/steering wheel/extra pillow positions so I could see the Driver Information Center display adequately. (I always have before - in rental cars, for example.) I sit tall and have short legs, which means the upper steering wheel blocks the upper display. Unfortunately, that’s where current speed is displayed, the most important figure. If it were in the center, I’d be fine. Reading the speed from over the top of the steering wheel doesn’t work because the dash overhang blocks it. Darn.

Does anyone know if it’s possible somehow (doubtful, I know) to modify the DIC to move the speed display down, to the center? Or have any other suggestions for workarounds? Right now my choice is having the seat angle uncomfortably far back, or constantly having to bob my head down. I guess I could get used to that . . . I'm rapidly moving toward the senior years too, so maybe I'll shrink a bit. :) Thanks.
Just picked up my new Bolt last week and I’m having the same problem. Can’t find a comfortable position for seat and steering wheel that doesn’t interfere with seeing the speed readout. Like you, I wish there was a way to put the speed readout at the bottom of the circle and the “info” section at the top.

#10 ·
Same problem for me: if the seat is low, I see the bottom half of the speedo digits; if the seat is high, I see none. I agree that the simple change would be an alternate screen with the speed on the bottom half of the display; the only way I can imagine it getting fixed is if there were a NTSB design regulation for driver eye-level heights/seat positions at which the speedo must be visible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.