Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It should be easy to rule out an out-of-balance situation or sloppy bearings in the drive unit. The vibration would be in the whole car, not just the steering wheel feedback, as well as build in degree by speed. It would always be there, no sporadic conditions for anything going on there.

I think the mechanic that guesses that should not be one 👎

·
Registered
84 Posts
Next time it happens, pull over and feel for excessive heat at any (especially front) wheel. Since we don’t tend to use the brakes very much it could be a sticky caliper. It happened twice shortly after I bought my used Bolt, but seemed to clear itself up.
I agree this could be one possible cause. We had a sticky caliper on a previous (ICE) with similar sporadic symptoms.

It's not necessary to touch any part of the car to feel the heat. As soon as you pull over and get out, just hold the palm of an open hand a foot away from the wheel and you should feel the excessive heat radiating - it does get that hot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar issue on my Bolt and it was a loose bolt on the steering column. I torqued it down and the issue went away. When I say loose, not loose enough to move it with your hand, just not torqued down enough. I suspect that is why the vibrations were sporadic.

View attachment 38860

I just did this and I think it worked! Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This is a very good thread for us planning to keep our Bolts for a long time!
I hope it’s helpful. Putting this issue aside for the moment, I’m at 100,000 miles, and other than maintenance items like tires, wiper blades and cabin air filters, there was only one repair for the left front wheel bearing. If I now have to replace the front right wheel bearing, I’m still grinning ear-to-ear after getting new batteries.

The car doesn’t feel appreciably different than when I bought it in 2017. Regen on L feels exactly the same - and given how central one-pedal driving is to the experience, that means a lot.

My first car was a 1979 Chevy Monte Carlo. It broke down in Little Rock Arkansas, in Belton Texas, and in Worcester, MA. And had a vacuum leak in its PVC (PCV?) hose that was extremely annoying. By the time the car reached 80,000 miles, I had to tie the doors together with rope, and the headliner was on my head. The Bolt is the first Chevy or GM I’ve owned in all this time.

This car feels like it’s just getting started. But I suppose much will depend on how this issue is resolved.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts