Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Trump Could Cut Electric Vehicle Incentives

7K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Efthrreoh 
It will take an act of Congress to reduce the federal tax credit for EVs
Even if that is the case, it will be a Republican Congress, ready to make it happen. I suggest that people who want to avoid this start working to convince Trump that what's needed instead is a less elitist version of the tax credit. It could be a point of sale rebate, to allow retired people like me, with adequate incomes but not a lot of taxable income, to buy an EV. It could also be limited to or weighted for vehicles produced in the US, to promote American jobs, and it could have an income limit. People who buy a Tesla rarely need the $7500 incentive, while those buying a Leaf or Volt or Bolt usually do. This could also possibly be promoted (although I'd be unwilling to do it) as a way to avoid shutting down newer coal power plants, by reducing urban and suburban vehicle emissions instead. In any case the EV tax credit is in serious, immediate danger.

Car companies are not stupid. They are in business to make money and, unlike the head-in-the-sand crowd, began to rationally assess the impact global warming and increasing CO(2) are having and taking measures to mitigate their risks.
The manufacture of EVs by car companies not dedicated to building only EVs is in response to zero emissions rules that require that they do so in order to continue to make profitable larger cars and trucks. GM is one of the companies to just this week request a rollback of emissions standards by Trump next year. (Toyota was another, but Nissan, who sells ZEV credits from leaf sales, wasn't.) If Trump eliminates ZEV mandates, then watch the non-American companies fall back to Europe and Asiato sell EVs, and GM to follow them , by focusing on sales of the Opal Ampera-E rather than the Bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.