Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I live in Ontario Canada. I have been trying to buy a BOLT for months. I have contacted dealers across the province with no luck. Most are allocated one or maybe two cars per year. We need to replace our 2005 Mini Cooper S. Chevrolet dealers cannot get more cars and seem to be as frustrated as I am. Is there a process beyond placing an order for a 2019 model? I will not buy a conventional ICE vehicle or a Plug in Hybrid. We already have a conventional hybrid and a Zero electric motorcycle and now want a PEV.
:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

I live in Ontario Canada. I have been trying to buy a BOLT for months. I have contacted dealers across the province with no luck. Most are allocated one or maybe two cars per year. We need to replace our 2005 Mini Cooper S. Chevrolet dealers cannot get more cars and seem to be as frustrated as I am. Is there a process beyond placing an order for a 2019 model? I will not buy a conventional ICE vehicle or a Plug in Hybrid. We already have a conventional hybrid and a Zero electric motorcycle and now want a PEV.

I live in Milton Ontario (just outside Toronto). I bought a Bolt last week or I should say put a deposit down. The way it works in Ontario is you put a refundable deposit down for a Bolt with an estimated deliver in 9 to 12 months. When your build time arrives you are contacted to finalize the deal (colour, options, financing etc.). Whether its a 2018 or 2019 depends on the build date (dealers are saying they have been told the 2019 model will come out around the middle of 2018 and will include a number of changes not incorporated in the 2018 model). The price is always MSRP. In other words the purchase process is very similar to the Tesla experience.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The way it works in Ontario is you put a refundable deposit down for a Bolt with an estimated deliver in 9 to 12 months. When your build time arrives you are contacted to finalize the deal (colour, options, financing etc.). Whether its a 2018 or 2019 depends on the build date (dealers are saying they have been told the 2019 model will come out around the middle of 2018 and will include a number of changes not incorporated in the 2018 model).
This seems much different than one year ago when the 2017 Bolt EV was being launched.

Was this information supplied by a GM Canada representative ? If not, are all dealers saying the same thing ? Last year's process is summarized in post #6 of this thread:
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/55-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-pricing-dealers-orders-tracking/21241-orders-work-canada.html

It wouldn't surprise me if the process has changed for 2018 Bolts. There were drawbacks last year such as 1.) required buyers to shop around at many different dealers to find one with "allotment" remaining, 2.) was less than equitable: an earlier order could get built later depending on one's sequence in dealer-by-dealer lineups for orders. 3.) required a lot of time on the part of GM representatives.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Unfortunately you will lose the $14,000 government rebate if you purchase out of province.
oh no! That about rules that out. I wonder if there is anyway the dealers in Canada can work out swaps with US dealers? Very common in the US between dealers, but could be that GM forbids that ...

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
It may have been just dumb luck, but when I first made the rounds of the dealers in the summer here in Vancouver they were all saying "you'll have to wait for next year". But when I put money down to order one order the salesman was able to find one in his queue that matched my specs and was supposed to be delivered within a couple of months. And a few weeks later I got a call from another dealer about another Bolt matching my specs that the original buyer had bailed on. That was the one I ended up buying, just one month after I put my money on the line.

So I think it's important to visit as many dealers as you can and let them know that you're really serious about buying. The cars have a way of coming out of the woodwork when the dealers know they have a sure sale.

·
Registered
979 Posts
oh no! That about rules that out. I wonder if there is anyway the dealers in Canada can work out swaps with US dealers? Very common in the US between dealers, but could be that GM forbids that ...
Vehicle manufacturers have policies with their dealers which discourage, if not prevent, dealer from engaging in international export sales (or international dealer trades) of new vehicles. Either directly or via a known exporter. Warranty registration out-of-country is typically made difficult as well. Used vehicles are a different matter.

However as a purchaser in foreign country where a single new vehicle is involved. It is possible using an agent (for fee) domiciled in the selling country.

For a Bolt EV it’s very costly for a Canadian to import a new one from the States. Say for someone living in Ontario Canada: vehicle MSRP price is currently about 9% higher due to spot USD/CAD exchange rate versus price in USD. Then there’s additional transport cost and agent fee. And as mentioned earlier the Canadian-Ontarian foregoes the current $14k CAD Ontario government rebate for EV’s and up to $1k Ontario government charging incentive rebate which combined are the highest in N.A.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts