Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be staying at a campground with a TT-30 RV-style outlet (125V/30A). I read on a forum post that the Bolt when charging at 120V is limited to 12A. Is this true, or did the post actually mean just with the GM OEM EVSE?

In particular, I have a Tesla UMC EVSE + JDapter Stub, and EVSEadapters does make a compatible TT-30 plug that at least works with the Tesla, so I'm wondering if it will work with the Bolt and if it will deliver the promised 24A continuous current. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Correct on the 8 or 12A limit for 120V charging. Those are your only 2 options. To use this receptacle, you will need a TT-30 to 5-15 adapter.

On 240V, it's the minimum of the EVSE or 32A. I wish I could adjust the rate, like on a Model S.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I wish it would charge faster than 12A on 120V, but it just won't. As others mentioned, the car will limit you. Heck, 5-20 outlets are pretty common (120V / 20A, look almost like a standard 3-prong, but with the left hand port looking like a sideways T). It may not seem like a lot, but 16A is still 33% faster than 12A (more once you factor in overhead).

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wish it would charge faster than 12A on 120V, but it just won't. As others mentioned, the car will limit you. Heck, 5-20 outlets are pretty common (120V / 20A, look almost like a standard 3-prong, but with the left hand port looking like a sideways T). It may not seem like a lot, but 16A is still 33% faster than 12A (more once you factor in overhead).
GM being GM really decided to play it safe with the Bolt, as I am sure they do with lots of their other vehicles in other ways. This is the same reason we have such an aggressive taper and low overall DCFC speeds. I wouldn't expect Tesla-speed charging in any GM EV ever.

·
Registered
419 Posts
GM being GM really decided to play it safe with the Bolt, as I am sure they do with lots of their other vehicles in other ways. This is the same reason we have such an aggressive taper and low overall DCFC speeds. I wouldn't expect Tesla-speed charging in any GM EV ever.
True. Doesn't stop me from wishing for it.

On the flip side, Tesla is perhaps a little too aggressive with their charging rates. The original EVSEs they sold were notorious for overheating. I'm sure they are getting better, but I still have concerns. I also wonder if this is why "20kW" 80A (technically 19.2kW) on-board chargers are no longer an option on Teslas.

I will take slower charge rates for higher reliability and safety any day.

·
Registered
288 Posts
True. Doesn't stop me from wishing for it.

On the flip side, Tesla is perhaps a little too aggressive with their charging rates. The original EVSEs they sold were notorious for overheating. I'm sure they are getting better, but I still have concerns. I also wonder if this is why "20kW" 80A (technically 19.2kW) on-board chargers are no longer an option on Teslas.

I will take slower charge rates for higher reliability and safety any day.
Agreed. I'm sure Tesla has mountains of data regarding safe charging & operating windows for their cars (which is prob why they reduced charging speed on some older Model S's), but my personality makes me lean toward a more conservative approach, even if it limits performance somewhat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody for the confirmation. A pity. I've gotten a simple adapter from TT-30 to NEMA 5-15 and added it to my travel kit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts