Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone successfully turned off the hotspot? i went into the iphone app (there's no place to turn it off from inside the vehicle itself) and turned it off. i got a message saying it would be turned off with the next ignition cycle, but after a couple more trips, it's still on.

·
Registered
544 Posts
has anyone successfully turned off the hotspot? i went into the iphone app (there's no place to turn it off from inside the vehicle itself) and turned it off. i got a message saying it would be turned off with the next ignition cycle, but after a couple more trips, it's still on.
I would turn it on and back off from the app next time you are in your car. Sometimes the app fails to communicate with the car. I have turned mine off before just to test that it would actually be off and it was so I know it will do it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I used 1.7 gB over the 3 month OnStar free data plan trial, and purchased the 1 gB for $10 for the next month. I liked the idea of having secured WiFi when out of the house as well.
Three days later I got notice from OnStar that I had only 10% left. I called and they confirmed that I had used 918 mB in 3 days. Nothing changed except a) I put in a Garmin GPS and was no longer using GoogleMaps (should lessen data use) and b) that I got a new Android (Galaxy S8) phone. Someone suggested that default phone settings were checking on app updates so often that it used up all my data. I am now out of data and not planning to add bytes or continue the $10 plan. Anyone else have similar experiences or should I bag the OnStar data plan like so many of the CBF users have?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I used 1.7 gB over the 3 month free trial, and purchased the 1 gB for $10 for the next month. I liked the idea of having secured WiFi when out of the house as well.
Three days later I got notice from OnStar that I had only 10% left. I called and they confirmed that I had used 918 mB in 3 days. Nothing changed except a) I put in a Garmin GPS and was no longer using GoogleMaps (should lessen data use) and b) that I got a new Android (Galaxy S8) phone. Someone suggested that default phone settings were checking on app updates so often that it used up all my data. I am now out of data and not planning to add bytes or continue the $10 plan. Anyone else have similar experiences or should I bag the OnStar data plan like so many of the CBF users have?
Cell phones behave differently when they are connected to WIFI vs Cellular network. I can't really explain why you used so little in 3 months compared to the 3 days, but it could have been an automatic update that only requires that you are connected to wifi and plugged in. It doesn't realize that you are really just using a cellular hotspot.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Cell phones behave differently when they are connected to WIFI vs Cellular network. I can't really explain why you used so little in 3 months compared to the 3 days, but it could have been an automatic update that only requires that you are connected to wifi and plugged in. It doesn't realize that you are really just using a cellular hotspot.
Different phone vendors customize Android, so YMMV, but on my phone, if you go into Settings->data you can see an accounting of data use by application. It separates cellular data use from WiFi data use, and provides a time graph on the usage Maybe that can give you some hints on where the data went. I have attached a sample screenshot.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Turing off WiFi

Apparently you can't just go to Settings, WiFi and turn off the switch. I had to call OnStar which still works even though you no longer have OnStar service. After they verify your identity they will cut the WiFi off.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ and if you discontinue or let your trial OnStar data plan expire- the Bolt hotspot radio transmitter is still active (with no internet connectivity of course)... and your Bolt is still connected to it through the WiFi setup menu... but it's unusable at that point.

I was playing around with the Bolt WiFI settings last night sitting in my driveway, two things I found:

1) The Bolt's connect range to outside networks is much shorter/weaker then my phone's WiFi receiver chipset.
I was able to connect with all three hotspots inside my house with my phone sitting inside the Bolt in my driveway, While the Bolt did find my hotspots... it didn't have the chops to connect with any of them as the rx signal was too weak.

2) You can not connect with an "insecure" network, i.e. one that only uses a password vs. password with WPA/WPA2 security.
Our local broadband provider includes a public access hotsopt into every residential wireless router they issue for free to customers, so we have many, many free to use hotspots in our area.. but they're open with no security except you need to log in to their network w/your email address and password or add your devices MAC address to your broadband account so you can log in to any of their 100,000 hotsopts without the email and password requirements. But, the Bolt will not allow you to connect with an "insecure" WiFi network... so our large (Long Island is 110mi long) free WiFi network is not available for use in the Bolt!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Different phone vendors customize Android, so YMMV, but on my phone, if you go into Settings->data you can see an accounting of data use by application. It separates cellular data use from WiFi data use, and provides a time graph on the usage Maybe that can give you some hints on where the data went. I have attached a sample screenshot.
Thanks! I did that and saw that "Google Play Store" used .84 GB in 3 days, and I never opened it! I went to Apps > App Manager and disabled it. Maybe this will work (although I am not spending more on OnStar data unless I identify a need.

·
Registered
544 Posts
^ and if you discontinue or let your trial OnStar data plan expire- the Bolt hotspot radio transmitter is still active (with no internet connectivity of course)... and your Bolt is still connected to it through the WiFi setup menu... but it's unusable at that point.

I was playing around with the Bolt WiFI settings last night sitting in my driveway, two things I found:

1) The Bolt's connect range to outside networks is much shorter/weaker then my phone's WiFi receiver chipset.
I was able to connect with all three hotspots inside my house with my phone sitting inside the Bolt in my driveway, While the Bolt did find my hotspots... it didn't have the chops to connect with any of them as the rx signal was too weak.

2) You can not connect with an "insecure" network, i.e. one that only uses a password vs. password with WPA/WPA2 security.
Our local broadband provider includes a public access hotsopt into every residential wireless router they issue for free to customers, so we have many, many free to use hotspots in our area.. but they're open with no security except you need to log in to their network w/your email address and password or add your devices MAC address to your broadband account so you can log in to any of their 100,000 hotsopts without the email and password requirements. But, the Bolt will not allow you to connect with an "insecure" WiFi network... so our large (Long Island is 110mi long) free WiFi network is not available for use in the Bolt!

On your first issue. How far away are you from your wifi router when you are sitting in the driveway? The wifi in the car is built specifically to only have a range of about 50ft. So I would expect the receiver/transmitter is built to be around transmitting and receiving only within that distance. Of course that won't take into account walls and other things that will interfere with the signal. I expect they built it to work at a distance of approximately 50ft in an open space. The thought being they only need the signal to be strong enough for the passengers in the car and if you are sitting around or near your car. I use my car wifi now instead of public wifi when I can stay within range of my car.

Second issue, well I wouldn't consider that an issue. I would never want my car connected to anything that isn't secured. That would just be a wide open attack point.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ah, good to know. i did call onstar to turn it off, but they put me on hold so i gave up. i'll give it another try later.

seems like a terribly designed app if the switches don't even work. i guess i'll have them turn it off, then pull the fuse to be sure. i was keeping the free trial for the insurance discount, but i feel like it's not worth it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks! I did that and saw that "Google Play Store" used .84 GB in 3 days, and I never opened it! I went to Apps > App Manager and disabled it. Maybe this will work (although I am not spending more on OnStar data unless I identify a need.
Is the Play Store set to update applications automatically? If you have a bunch of apps, and the play store downloads updates to many of them, you could burn through a GB pretty quickly. On my phone, Facebook is 59MB. Choices are:

• Auto-update apps at any time
  • Auto-update apps over WiFi only
  • Do not auto-update apps.
You can adjust this behavior in the play store settings screen.

If you completely disable the play store, you might not see useful security updates.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I expect they built it to work at a distance of approximately 50ft in an open space. The thought being they only need the signal to be strong enough for the passengers in the car and if you are sitting around or near your car. I use my car wifi now instead of public wifi when I can stay within range of my car.
I had a power outage at my house today, and turned on the Chevy Bolt in accessory mode and I am running my whole house from the car's internet connection, while the cable company brings my cable connection back. My router is about 25 ft from the car on the floor above, and I am running several computers, iPads, a home security system and many other things off it. Its totally magic.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a power outage at my house today, and turned on the Chevy Bolt in accessory mode and I am running my whole house from the car's internet connection, while the cable company brings my cable connection back. My router is about 25 ft from the car on the floor above, and I am running several computers, iPads, a home security system and many other things off it. Its totally magic.
couldn't you do the same thing with your phone?

·
Registered
739 Posts
He would drain his phone battery pretty fast running that many things off of it. Plus why even run it from your phone if you have the data plan on the car.
That's true. Indeed, as an addendum to my prior post, I made a number of observations:

The Bolt's hotspot will only allow about eight devices, so some of the devices in my home could not connect, including my thermostat and one or two other things.

I put the car into "service" mode in order to keep its hotspot operating. This means holding the start button for 5 seconds until the electronics power up.

The service mode runs entirely on the 12 volt battery, which is not recharged by the car's main battery pack while in service mode. Hence, if you keep the service mode going for more than 5 or 6 hours you have a dead 12 volt battery, which means the car won't start. Life is fun!

The car's 12 volt battery is an AGM battery, which requires charging with the correct type of charger, or you can jump start the Bolt from another car. It easy to hook up a charger to the battery. The instructions are in the Bolt EV manual. The instructions are much the same as any ICE car's 12 volt battery jump starting and charging. It takes a solid 24 hrs to recharge an AGM battery properly, although it is usable after about 6 hrs of charging from dead.

Once the 12 volt battery is recharged, the car will give you an error message when you first start it, and then the second start, everything is back to normal. The error message is designed to strike terror in your heart, but it can be safely ignored, assuming you know that all happened was due to draining the 12 volt battery.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Google recently released a new app (datally - https://www.blog.google/topics/next-billion-users/meet-datally-new-way-understand-control-and-save-mobile-data/) which gives you a fine grained vidw of where your mobile data is going by app and unit of time, and allows you to control when apps are allowed to do things on the network. it's not supported on all devices, but is on my 6p, which is a 2 year old phone.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I realize that this is an old post, but if anyone is still wondering how to turn off the wifi hotspot you can do it from the MyChevrolet.com website. Go to Account & Settings/Account/Wifi Settings and you can turn it off from there. Once it is turned off then the car’s hotspot will no longer show up when searching for a network with your device. If you don’t turn it off from the website you can still see the car network even if you don’t have a data plan and can’t connect to the car.

·
Registered
579 Posts
We use 4G modems/hotspots for work activities and have had some nasty data vomiting happening due to Dropbox, Google's snarfing of photos from phones (remarkably difficult to reliably choke off), other various parasite business plans. Maybe turn off wifi on fones when not using would be another way to stem the torrent?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts