Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprised there were no Twin Cities Bolt users registered.
so anyway, below are some comments based on my experience to-date

I have a bit over 3000 miles on my Bolt EV that I got in Sep.

I installed a 14-50 plug in the garage - it is just an electric dryer plug after all plus I had the foresight to have a 50A 240VAC subpanel installed in the garage when we had some electrical work done on the house which meant a 15' run with conduit was all I needed. 6-3 wire was maybe overkill but seems to work.

I like the connection to Android but having to plug in my phone rather than just connecting via WiFi is poor. Music plays just fine without plugging it it but you can't change playlists much without stopping the car. Would like to find a hack for that! Would also like Android Auto to work over WiFi and NOT take over my phone display. Still having google maps on the car display when the phone is plugged in is nice and the voice commands work well.

The dog jumps into the hatchback by herself which is why I got a Bolt rather than a Tesla and I got an extra piece of protective film on the back bumper where her claws sometimes hit the bumper.

I was getting 4+ mi/Kwh in Sep and early Oct but now that the weather is colder, I am getting about 3 mi/Kwh. (I am using heat and cold batteries are less efficient?). Hope it doesn't drop even more when it is below zero. In the recent warm spell (~50F), the efficiency did creep back up to 3.5 mi/Kwh so I am optimistic for next summer when I need to drive 208 miles to the cabin.

For the month of Oct my Xcel bill was 870 Kwh vs 417 Kwh from 2016. We signed up for Xcel Renewable*Connect program so our cost has increased more than just the increase in usage.

So what about efficiency?
According to Xcel my average electric usage/cost/day in Oct was 30 Kwh (vs 14.4 in 2016) at a cost of $4.66/day (vs $2.33 in 2016). Or an increase of about $2.30 per day or roughly *30 = $70 per month. Consider my wife's Toyota Prius V which was about the same price as a Bolt EV. Her gas bill in Nov was $103.

As a check, look at Bolt "mileage" vs Prius mileage in terms of $ per mile.

Again, in Oct/Nov I was getting 3 mi/Kwh on the Bolt. From my Xcel bill I come up with a net rate of $0.155/Kwh delivered and taxed to my house or $0.052 per mile using the 3 mi/Kwh efficiency I get when it is colder.

The Prius gets 44 mpg in the summer which drops to at most 40 mpg as it gets cold.
So estimating the Prius $/mile for $2.50/gal gas works out to be $0.0625 per mile.

So while the Bolt is a little cheaper it is not that much cheaper to run than a hybrid. It definitely has more acceleration than the Prius (which is anemic) but if you use the acceleration, "mileage" will suffer. Still nice to have the acceleration option and I like the Renewable*Connect energy that I am using rather than carbon from 200 million years ago.

Comments? Other's experiences?

·
Registered
312 Posts
When making cost comparisons, people often ignore the time spent at gas stations, which is no longer necessary. Once the charger is set up, charging takes a few seconds only. I also switched from Prius to Bolt (a week ago) so I was interested in your cost comparison. But elec. here in Colo is 10 or 11 cents per kWh, quite a bit less than your 15+.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a Chevy Cruze owner in the Twin Cities area seriously looking at the Bolt. To the Original Poster, I read in late November that Xcel Energy is starting new pilot program where they will help pay for modifications required to get your household EV on late night EV charging.

I've read the older program, where you either have to have your entire meter replaced with a Time of Day meter, and then charge the car between 9AM to 9pm, yet pay a penalty for the house usage, or install a separate meter at your expense for the car. This seems to have a really high cost, low payback period.

I don't know the details of the new pilot program, but I seen it I believe reported in the Star Tribune. It's to allow charging on the EV rate without such a high cost investment by the homeowner. It mentioned they planned on including up to 100 households.

Have you heard about this in the Twin Cities EV market? It might be worth calling them, since you have the car, and you have a level 2 charger.

Definitely interested in your miles/kwh and following your trends. How does the preconditioning work with garage temperatures near 0F like we're having this week?

Can you get it to 60F before you leave the garage using the level 2 charger, and how much energy does that take?

Spent a lot of time at the Auto Show last year in a Bolt EV, but haven't made it out to drive one. I see Merit Chevrolet has a few online, if it would only warm up a little for stuff like that.

Interested in your thoughts about the Bolt in Minnesota. I've only seen one "in the wild" but they must be out there.

Glad to see it's separate forum as well. There's some bolt activity over at gm-volt.com, I guess I didn't search for the Bolt site.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I purchased a 2017 bolt premier @ Merit Chev in Feb. Overall a good experience though they delivered the car with a very low battery & low tire pressure. Definitely would like to see better education in the dealers for these two items that seem to be consistently missed. I love the car. Range varies by temp, speed driven, wind, rain, etc... but like an ICE vehicle, there is enough range "in the tank" to allow for this for any kind of in-town driving. I previously had a 2015 Nissan Leaf SL and though it was fine in town for one trip/back to most areas, in the winter there were times I had to stop and charge and I never considered that vehicle a road trip capable vehicle. With the Bolt, I can branch out a bit (within 200 miles) without worrying too much about charge. Even though range varies with temp, I've found the guess-o-meter to be fairly accurate.

Unfortunately, I don't have XCEL or Dakota Electric who I believe both have electric vehicle charging programs. My local city provides utilities and oddly do not have peak/off-peak charging differentiation. I guess benefit to me to be able to charge any time for the same price but also probably a negative if the consistent rate is high. Latest bill is $99.72 for 1012 Kwh (I assume, they don't label the usage - it is just a numerical value). So I believe that comes out to .0985/Kwh before taxes/fees. I'd be curious how that compares to XCEL or others in town.

Definitely can get the cabin temp to 60F preconditioning no matter how cold - I'm not sure on the energy used as I don't have a smart EVSE but I'm planning to add an energy monitor soon.

If you have any questions, let me know - hope you join the ranks of bolt owners here...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your desire for Android Auto to work via WiFi is similar for my desire for Apple Car Play to do the same. However, this has nothing to do with Chevy. Currently, Android Auto and Car Play are only available via the phone being plugged in. Each are working on a WiFi accessible version which has been promised for quite some time now. Unfortunately, when that version becomes available, I'm pretty sure it won't be backwards compatible to existing infotainment systems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your desire for Android Auto to work via WiFi is similar for my desire for Apple Car Play to do the same. However, this has nothing to do with Chevy. Currently, Android Auto and Car Play are only available via the phone being plugged in. Each are working on a WiFi accessible version which has been promised for quite some time now. Unfortunately, when that version becomes available, I'm pretty sure it won't be backwards compatible to existing infotainment systems.
There is wireless Car Play, but Chevy currently doesn't support it. I believe one aftermarket head unit does as well as some newer BMW models. I get that this question is about AA, but just wanted to get this info out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We will be displaying EV’s during an event our organization has planned for May 14 in DeKalb, IL - home of Northern Illinois University. Our local Chevy dealer cannot provide a Bolt? Does anyone know of someone in this area who may be willing to show off a Bolt or a Tesla model between 4 and 6 PM on the 14th? We also have a lithium battery powered high end riding lawn mower to show and other EV’s but would love to have a Bolt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fellow Twin City Bolt owner checking in from St. Paul. I’ve seen a few around here, but not on a regular basis, other than the Silver premier in my work parking garage in Bloomington.

I’ll echo that the off peak rate from Xcel via there EV program is a steal (about 4 cents per kW). Having a detached garage like most homes in St. Paul, the best charging solution for us was dropping a line from the alley to a separate panel in the garage, which is set up just for the EV rate program.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts