Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm active on the mychevybolt forum but new here. Just leased our 2nd Bolt (summit white and nightfall gray) last month coming from a Ford Cmax Energi and e-Golf.

Generally, like the car minus a few quirks. Hoping for a good three years!

·
Registered
771 Posts
... coming from a Ford Cmax Energi and e-Golf.
Generally, like the car minus a few quirks. Hoping for a good three years!
Welcome oh distinguished EV veteran!

What did you like/dislike about your former EV's?
What are the "quirks" of the Bolt(s)?
What is your specific charging environment? Did you retain the same chargers used
for your previous EV's?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome oh distinguished EV veteran!

What did you like/dislike about your former EV's?
What are the "quirks" of the Bolt(s)?
What is your specific charging environment? Did you retain the same chargers used
for your previous EV's?
[sorry - long post]

The Cmax was my introduction to the plug-in world. The EV driving experience was fine but short (22-25 miles). The hybrid part was underwhelming but the car had nice features with the infotainment system and general ergonomics. Having the green sticker for CA HOV driving was a bonus. This was my first domestic car coming from Honda all my life and thought Ford did a nice job. I would have gone back to Ford since mine was from 2014 but they haven't offered anything new or ground breaking.

The eGolf was my first BEV and we enjoyed it. It was slow but still fun to drive since it handled well and felt like a normal car (looks and performance). We had some range anxiety and had a few close calls but averaged about 110-120 miles per full charge. The dealer provided a 6-month NRG charge card that offset the electricity costs. It was rear ended two years into the lease last March and insurance declared it a total loss even though we were able to drive and charge it.

Reluctantly went to the Bolt knowing we were early adopters and pricing wouldn't be the greatest. Was able to work out a deal only $15 more than the eGolf lease with over twice the range!

The Bolt drives well, is zippy but doesn't handle as nicely as the eGOlf. We NEVER have range anxiety. Drove to San Diego and back from Orange County on several occasions without breaking a sweat. The software has a lot of charging options are is much easier to setup than the eGOlf and overall ergonomics are good (front seats are not an issue for us). Wish it was more sedan than crossover wannabe.

We installed a 4.59 kW solar panel system and switched to a TOU rate with SCE. That covers all our electricity usage including charging (we produce credits during certain months and use them in the summer with extra A/C usage). I predict we'll pay less than $50 a year for all our usage. Insurance for the Bolt is more expensive than the eGolf and Energi.

As for charging, I stupidly installed a ClipperCreek 3.3kWh EVSE on an existing dryer line for my Cmax not planning for the future. As of now though, it's working for us as we haven't driven both cars over 100 miles on the same day. Actually, with all the 'low SOC is better for the batteries' talk, we can easily charge both cars throughout the week to around 70%.

Quirks and wish lists:
-Bluetooth randomly disconnects
-Console glare on a few occasions but nothing serious yet
-HVAC acts up time to time when setting to 73 degrees with ambient temperature in the 80s. It barely blows cold air and requires 71 or lower to kick in.
-Brake pedal makes clicky sound when released (both cars behave like this so I assume as designed)
-Overall fit and finish is not indicative of the $39,295 msrp :/
-Need better sun shade visors (too short and narrow).
-Wish it had sunglasses compartment and home link integration
-Wish it had lights in visor mirrors
-Wish it had a more EV style/design shifter (like the Ioniq) to take up less space.
-Needs better phone holder
-No individual vent open/close controls
-Wish it had rear seat vents
-Wish it had a pocket behind driver seat (my kids fit over storage all the time, haha)
-Wish it had powered lift gate (my Cmax had the foot swipe thing; super convenient)
-Wish the rear turn lights were up higher

The list doesn't have any deal breakers and overall, we're happy with the both cars (the second one even better since we got a great lease deal). We'll see what happens over the next few years!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Great review and from my understanding, no car is perfect unless you're willing to pay a high premium. The Bolt has a few quirks that could be improved, but overall it's a nice car. Maybe Chevy will creep forums like these and take feedback like yours into consideration in their next EV. :D
Yes wishful thinking.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Congrats on double-Bolting! I have 2 Bolts too. Seats are a definite issue on the 2nd Bolt though (like I can't even fit in them)
I think they forgot the battery in that second one. Bad GM, need to work on quality control.

I'd love to have two Bolts, but my wife is happy with her old van. I figure in about 3 years I can upgrade to the latest/greatest and she'll get to enjoy this one.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
There are rear seat vents, but they are on the floor under the front seats for cabin heating purposes. The only cars that I know of that have vents up in the ceiling for A/C (cooling) purposes are minivans and mid-sized or bigger SUVs. I haven’t heard of any CUVs or sedans having that feature...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are rear seat vents, but they are on the floor under the front seats for cabin heating purposes. The only cars that I know of that have vents up in the ceiling for A/C (cooling) purposes are minivans and mid-sized or bigger SUVs. I haven’t heard of any CUVs or sedans having that feature...
Both my Ford Cmax Energi and the eGolf had rear console vents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.