Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, after parking outdoors for 5 hours in 20 degree F temperature, I FIRST saw battery conditioning on startup. It started at 1%, peaked at 4%, then stayed at 3%.

Since many State Park lodges and hotels have 3 Tesla plugs and 1 J-1772 plug at their Level 2 destination charging stations, I was afraid I may drive somewhere and get blocked by another EV plug user. I bought the “TeslaTap Destination Charger to J-1772 Adapter” ($249). I FIRST used it tonight for free charging at the Hampton Inn, Barboursville, WV, next to the Cracker Barrel restaurant. It worked perfectly. The Tesla fitting is connected first (for 30 seconds), then the J-1772 to Bolt. The T end is held by pressure only, while the J end clips on as usual. I added 23 miles in 1 hour, plugged-in in 20 degree weather. When you press the lever to unplug, you hear the charging stop, then pull the plug out. I now feel so much more comfortable traveling, as all Tesla Destination plugs are available to me. I may need it on my 160 mile drive tomorrow to Columbus, OH. DCFC (free) is at the destination, but very cold temps WILL degrade range. I have my “safety valve” Level 2 spots included in my PlugShare routes, out & back.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question: I will drive to Columbus (3 hrs), stay for 4 hours and return. Temperatures expected between 15-20 degrees F. Both DCFC and Level 2 are free. DCFC is ChargePoint card activated. Don’t know about the Level 2. Assuming both plugs are free for the duration, should I move to a Level 2 plug for the remainder of the 4 hour stay? I presume DCFC will NOT kick back in even with the cold temp. Will the Level 2 plug restart for battery conditioning? Should I unplug when fully charged and move from the charging space but replug about 30 minutes prior to departure, and which plug should I use? Leaving in 2.5 hours, but will check the Forum at lunch (noon EST). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I started from home with 180 miles of range, drove (only slightly under the speed limit) 160 miles, with an OAT of 26 degrees, and arrived with a range of 40 miles remaining. I got to Easton Gateway at 1:30 pm, batteries warm from the drive. I plugged into ChargePoint DCFC as I was planning to stay < 4 hours. I was the only Level 3 plugin (out of 6 or 8). I got a text message at 3 pm stating “your vehicle is drawing very little power and may be fully charged.” Unfortunately, I could not get back to switch to a Level 2 plug (for battery conditioning) for the remainder of our stay. Upon getting back at 4:45 pm, the EVSE had stopped charging and I unplugged. It showed 185 miles of range, NO battery conditioning. We drove the 160 miles back home, with OAT of 20 degrees. I had to use front defrost multiple times. We (three) had seat heat on and small blankets over our thighs. We were very comfortable. I arrived home in blowing snow with a 23 mile reserve.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I plugged in at a DC charger one morning this past week after 10-15 miles of low speed driving, after starting out without preconditioning (21F) since the battery was already at less than 1/4. The 50k charger started at about 17kwh where it stayed for most of 10 minutes before it started a slow climb to 35 kwh at the end of a 30 minute session. When you’re paying by the minute to use a DC charger, this cold battery thing gets expensive!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts