Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. Drove the Bolt home from dealer yesterday using not quite half the charge. Has been on 110v all night and is back to 90%. Need to drive 60 miles tonight and take my girlfriend to airport 100 miles from her house. Her house has only two prong 110v outlets on the exterior. Could I buy a GFI extension cord and charge through the night? I know that I should be able to make it to the airport but she is not amused by the "I think we will have almost enough charge" answer. Also starting with full charge would mean less time charging at airport. Might be able to use a three prong from inside house but that would mean cracked door or window. I of course intend to wire up the NEMA 14-50 and do it the right way but not today.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi to all. Drove the Bolt home from dealer yesterday using not quite half the charge. Has been on 110v all night and is back to 90%. Need to drive 60 miles tonight and take my girlfriend to airport 100 miles from her house. Her house has only two prong 110v outlets on the exterior. Could I buy a GFI extension cord and charge through the night? I know that I should be able to make it to the airport but she is not amused by the "I think we will have almost enough charge" answer. Also starting with full charge would mean less time charging at airport. Might be able to use a three prong from inside house but that would mean cracked door or window. I of course intend to wire up the NEMA 14-50 and do it the right way but not today.
No... that won't work. the car needs to detect a "good" ground connection for the charging to start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Three prongs or nothin it is. She has had bears in her backyard so may not be open to cord through the door idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts