Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like the technology to provide freeway "EV fills" will be rolling out very soon, and it is 'future proofed'.

ChargePoint will be rolling Express Plus out (?installed?) in July 2017. There will be liquid-cooled cables/handles! It looks like plug types can be a mix of any of : CHAdeMO, CCS, or Tesla.

ChargePoint has just announced their "Express Plus" DCFC "ultra-fast" charging architecture/solution. Up to 400 kW charging at one plug; modular solution(s) such as : start w/ a pair of stations (?at 50 kW rate?), OR have a "PowerCube" that can run up to 8 stations where any one plug can get 187 kW max and all 8 together can pull 125 kW at the same time, OR have a PowerCube running 4 stations, which can provide 312 kW max, or 187 kW on all 4 simultaneously, OR ...etc...

Press Release here : https://www.chargepoint.com/about/news/chargepoint-enables-future-mobility-express-plus-electric-vehicle-charging-platform

More info here : https://www.chargepoint.com/products/commercial/express-plus

ChargePoint Express Plus, the ultra-fast DC charging solution that is ready for the electric cars, buses and trucks of today and tomorrow. Express Plus can charge today’s newest electric vehicles, such as the Chevy Bolt EV, at their maximum rate; is equipped to charge upcoming EVs such as the Tesla Model 3 and is ready to deliver maximum charging speed to EVs coming to market in the years to come. A modular platform designed for businesses and charging centers along major roadways or transit depots, Express Plus can deliver up to 400 kilowatts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Really depends on how many charging stations they plan to set up. Right now they're somewhat spares along the freeways aren't they?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Pretty awesome. Need some of these on the right coast and in those "fly over" states. Just next step to making an electric fill up similar to gasoline fill up. Woe be unto those who choose to purchase a Bolt WITHOUT fast charging option!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wonder how the push for these "self driving" cars will affect everything. I, for one, am no fan of that. I'd rather have train and rail transport infrastructure than a bunch of self driving cars on the road run by Uber of all crappy companies.

We shall see. Things are changing too quickly IMO. Proper thought isn't being used....it's just about who can do it first and how they can make money at the cost of everything else.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Pretty awesome. Need some of these on the right coast and in those "fly over" states. Just next step to making an electric fill up similar to gasoline fill up. Woe be unto those who choose to purchase a Bolt WITHOUT fast charging option!
You do realize that even with the DCFC option, the Bolt has a maximum charge rate it can take. I hope people don't get the idea that they can pull their Bolt up to a 400kw charge station and zap their Bolt full in 10 minutes, because that won't happen.

These chargers are hoping there will be cars in the future that can fully utilize them. Before we all get too excited about these stations spreading like wide fire across the country we have to ask who pays for these installations and how do they make money? My guess is government incentives and cap and trade carbon credits. In the next four years, this could all change.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You do realize that even with the DCFC option, the Bolt has a maximum charge rate it can take. I hope people don't get the idea that they can pull their Bolt up to a 400kw charge station and zap their Bolt full in 10 minutes, because that won't happen.
Point well made. Hoping for the future that software and/or hardware updates will allow for faster charging rates also. But this is really what is going to need to happen to make electric fill ups more competitive from a time standpoint. And needs to be as easy as using any standard credit card.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
These chargers are hoping there will be cars in the future that can fully utilize them.
Sure. But it's so nice to see them planning for that future. It takes years to roll out charging stations across a wide area, and the history so far is that by the time you have good coverage all the chargers are obsolete because they can't keep up with the latest generation of cars. All of the 24KW "fast" chargers along the I-5 in Oregon are a testament to how short-sighted that was.

Kudos to them for forward thinking.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since these things are supposed to roll out in June-July, they should be able to have whatever the most recent 'quickie fix' to both the CCS and CHAdeMO current stds to bring them up to (?120? ?150?) kW. Both CCS and CHAdeMO are currently working on 'the next' standard, supposed to be out in 2017, for (around) 350 kW charging rates.

Since the CP 'platform' (?archetecture?) is modular, one could start with a dual (or quad) 80 or 90 kW chargers in mid/late- 2017, which could be complemented by a pair of 150 (or 250) kW chargers in 2019 - *without* losing the original investment on the first set installed. So the first set would continue to work on all 2017 and earlier cars (and probably a LOT of vehicles manufactured afterwards that have ranges of 220 miles or less) while the new pair would work on the high-mileage newer vehicles (as well as be backwards compatible with older standards).

·
Registered
786 Posts
This should be the final nail in the coffin for nay sayers and fuel cell advocates once the manufacturers build cars that can take advantage of the 200 miles in 10 minute stop. Exciting times.
That is just "one nail". The real deal begins when fast DC chargers lower their prices so that any gasoline station can put up at least one near their pumps to keep customers who switch from gasoline to electricity. Then lower prices to below $500 each, so that any home tha has two BEVs (maybe a Bolt EV and another GM BEV) can buy and install one. Refueling at home with DC is the final "nail in that coffin.

BTW, CHAdeMO will lose the market, because all the major BEV manufacturers (except Tesla Motors) will use the SAE CCS standard. TM will probably offer a new adapter for their cars, or add a second DC inlet.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I'm not seeing the quick charge for home as being necessary. The vast majority of home charging is overnight so even on level 2 40 amp that would add approximately 480 miles in 12 hours. Having more than one EV does complicate things but I don't think most residential services have the required voltage for a quick charger. They may have some sort of siamese connector out soon that can plug in 2 cars at once and the software would automatically transfer the charge as directed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts