Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It took a lot of analyses as well as a bunch of trial and errors, but I got the BoltEV-specific PIDs working in the UltraGauge MX in the way I intended. It’s highly likely that ScanGauge can also be programmed in the same manner.

There are some limitations - UG only allows for a maximum of eight custom PIDs and the automatic power on/off function doesn’t quite work as smoothly on the Bolt. But I think all these issues are manageable and not show-stoppers.

I now need to take the car for a drive to make sure that everything is fine with this device plugged in.

On a side note, only seven out of nearly 80 default OBD-II PIDs that UG supports are available on the Bolt. That’s not too surprising, since much of them are relevant only with an internal combustion engine.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Nice. If GM needs a hint of what data needs to be made available on the infotainment screen, they don't need to look any further. Battery level in %, battery temperature in degrees, charging rate in kW, V, and A, etc.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Nice!

I accidentally shut one of my UG in a doorjam, and the other one has a display that is deteriorating to the point of being unusable. I'm a fan of UG, but at this point I'll probably only use Torque Pro and a $40 tablet. I had a sweet setup with the Prius to show me everything including motor power, both in acceleration and regen. I could swipe to my ICE gauges when operating the engine, and the MG page when operating in EV mode.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Wesley, Is the capacity in kWh of the battery the energy stored at the current moment or is it an estimate of the working capacity of the battery over all? The website says it reads the cars gauges automatically but from your post it sounds like you had to interface with a computer via bluetooth or cable. Correct?

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
429 Posts
It took a lot of analyses as well as a bunch of trial and errors, but I got the BoltEV-specific PIDs working in the UltraGauge MX in the way I intended. It’s highly likely that ScanGauge can also be programmed in the same manner.

There are some limitations - UG only allows for a maximum of eight custom PIDs and the automatic power on/off function doesn’t quite work as smoothly on the Bolt. But I think all these issues are manageable and not show-stoppers.

I now need to take the car for a drive to make sure that everything is fine with this device plugged in.

On a side note, only seven out of nearly 80 default OBD-II PIDs that UG supports are available on the Bolt. That’s not too surprising, since much of them are relevant only with an internal combustion engine.
Did you document the process and the custom codes?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wesley, Is the capacity in kWh of the battery the energy stored at the current moment or is it an estimate of the working capacity of the battery over all? The website says it reads the cars gauges automatically but from your post it sounds like you had to interface with a computer via bluetooth or cable. Correct?
The capacity shown here is calculated directly in real-time from the PID #2241A3, without any extra interfacing. Based on my 2 years' observation, applying a certain conversion formula to the output of this PID had given me a reliable indicator of what the car's BMS thinks the current usable capacity of the battery is at the moment. To know how much energy is stored, you need to multiply the SoC D(isplayed) % to this value.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
64 Posts
The capacity shown here is calculated directly in real-time from the PID #2241A3, without any extra interfacing. Based on my 2 years' observation, applying a certain conversion formula to the output of this PID had given me a reliable indicator of what the car's BMS thinks the current usable capacity of the battery is at the moment. To know how much energy is stored, you need to multiply the SoC D(isplayed) % to this value.
Just as an FYI to 2019-20 Bolt owners. GM in their infinite wisdom has crippled 2241A3 and there now appears to be no direct way to ascertain the battery capacity.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado Diesel 2017 Bolt EV Premier 2005 Audi A4 Quattro
15 Posts
The State Of Charge Variation parameter may not be available on 2017 or early 2018 model year vehicles. Programming the Hybrid/EV Powertrain Control Module 2 with the latest software may be necessary.
The Hybrid/EV Powertrain Control Module 2 data parameter Hybrid/EV Battery Cell State of Charge Variation is used to differentiate an individual cell group capacity concern from an overall battery pack capacity concern. If a reduced range concern has been caused by something affecting all cell groups equally, such as temperature, discharge rate, driving style, age, or capacity loss this parameter will indicate a low value. If a single cell group is affecting the battery capacity this parameter will indicate a higher percentage value.
Available on the Hybrid/EV Powertrain Control Module 2 GDS2 reset function list is EV Range Reset. This control will reset the maximum range as displayed to the vehicle operator. Based on the useable energy within hybrid/EV battery, the maximum range will reset as close as possible to the maximum range of when the hybrid/EV battery was new. The reset is useful for situations when the range has deteriorated because of poor driving habits or component replacement. It may take at least three charge/discharge cycles for the displayed electric vehicle range estimate to return to the most accurate reflection of actual useable energy combined with driving style and environmental conditions. GDS2 EV Range reset will not restore lower range that is due to:

• Battery age/condition
  • Continuing poor driving habits
  • Continuing environmental conditions

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

For those who have been waiting patiently, here's the write-up I promised about installing and configuring UltraGauge MX on my Bolt EV.

I've included the configuration data for the PIDs I've successfully programmed, and some information about the quirks Bolt EV has with UltraGauge's power on/off function. I decided against including the technical background for arriving at the right parameters since it would make the post too long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts